cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Anyone added self-leveling jacks?

nosebreaker
Explorer
Explorer
We are about to purchase our first Class C, and the unit we are going to get doesn't have auto-level jacks. Has anyone added them and if so, how much did it cost? I can't find a dealer that will install them.
21 REPLIES 21

Solo
Explorer
Explorer
We also installed the Bigfoot Single Pump System on our formerly owned class C E450. Their current sale price for the same system I intalled, $1988. If you are close to one of their locations, they will do the install but, if you have the ability, self-installation can be considered. I did our installation and would certainly recommend this as a project that can be done by those with at least moderate skills and with tools to match. One of the more appreciated upgrades to our RV.
Solo
2011 Itasca Ellipse 42QD, 450 HP ISL Cummins
2012 Jeep JKU with SMI DUO Braking System

jgellis586
Explorer
Explorer
Getting the Bigfoot levelers installed in May, canโ€™t wait. Getting the automatic levelers which he said would add about 236lbs. Like the Bigfoot levered vs high.

Rick_Jay
Explorer II
Explorer II
xpjet96,

"I'm quite aware hardware doesn't GAIN weight once installed. :)"

True, but if you're like most of us, you'll find something to store in the space formerly occupied by old levelling gear. ๐Ÿ™‚ LOL

Actually, our A came with automatic levels from the factory, but I still carry 4 3/4" plywood squares to put under the jacks on most surfaces, and an assortment of 2"x10" lumber pieces to either correct for VERY unlevel sites, or on rare occasion, to serve as ramps for helping to get out of soggy terrain.

So...maybe there won't be as much space available as I thought. ๐Ÿ™‚

And while our BigFoot jacks are automatic, I usually use them in manual mode. Makes me feel like I'm actually doing something! LOL

~Rick
2005 Georgie Boy Cruise Master 3625 DS on a Workhorse W-22
Rick, Gail, 1 girl (27-Angel since 2008), 1 girl (22), 2 boys (23 & 20).
2001 Honda Odyssey, Demco Aluminator tow bar & tow plate, SMI Silent Partner brake controller.

xpjet96
Explorer
Explorer
j-d wrote:
So call Bigfoot, or call HWH, and ask them: What is the Shipping Weight of Your (insert model of the one you're interested in) Leveling Jack Package? It isn't going to weigh any more that that once installed.

Installed weight is 180lbs. It reduces carrying capacity by one less adult or extra gear if loaded to or near GVWR. I'm quite aware hardware doesn't GAIN weight once installed. ๐Ÿ™‚
2011 Winnebago Access
Ford E-450
2014 Honda CRV

77rollalong
Explorer
Explorer
you can look at it another way too, is that you will no longer need your other jack stands, so really how much extra weight is it ..??

xpjet96
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
xpjet96 wrote:
Anyone have any concerns about the additional weight? 32' class C already pretty heavy before loading. Went by local CW to see about installation and they pretty much tried to discourage due to the additional weight.

were jacks optional on your RV new?
bumpy

Not sure. Bought used. It's a 2011.
2011 Winnebago Access
Ford E-450
2014 Honda CRV

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
So call Bigfoot, or call HWH, and ask them: What is the Shipping Weight of Your (insert model of the one you're interested in) Leveling Jack Package? It isn't going to weigh any more that that once installed.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
xpjet96 wrote:
Anyone have any concerns about the additional weight? 32' class C already pretty heavy before loading. Went by local CW to see about installation and they pretty much tried to discourage due to the additional weight.

were jacks optional on your RV new?
bumpy

xpjet96
Explorer
Explorer
2011 Winnebago Access
Ford E-450
2014 Honda CRV

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
Home Skillet wrote:
BigFoot on sale for $2,000.

LINK

That's what I'd be doing. I don't like Kick-Down Jacks. Also, HWH jacks tend to stick. Haven't heard similar about BigFoot.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

jcsb
Explorer
Explorer
Had Big Foot installed on our Jayco Melbourne. Factory in southern MI so not to far from us. Stayed in lot night before and home next day.
Jim Hunter

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
klutchdust wrote:
Done. OR go outside with plastic toylike things and spend your evening backing up and pulling forward .

it also is disconcerting to have to scream out at the wife when she is out in the rain and mud adjusting the legos, "NO YOUR OTHER LEFT"
Bumpy

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
I've been using scrap blocks of treated 2x6 & 4x6 lumber for more than 30 years. I looked at power levers once many ears ago, and decided that they added a lot of weight and were rather expensive.

I just glue a cat's eye/round level to the dog house where I can see it from the drivers seat. With a little practice one gets to know how many blocks to put under which wheel.

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
HWH installed by original owner. I would not be without them. Fun is expensive sometimes. Funny how a extended warranty with the "piece of mind' feature that costs 4K and is seldom used isn't an issue for some but installing levelers that make life so much easier are "too expensive"
Mine are manually operated, push lever, mounted on floor next to drivers seat, until yellow light turns to red. Done. OR go outside with plastic toylike things and spend your evening backing up and pulling forward . If you travel solo you have no one to yell at out the side door
"how does it look" LOL.
I have used my lifts to get me out of a sinkhole, raise the coach to change a tire, with a huge block of wood under the axle. excellent.