cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Any others like 2015 Itasca Sunstar 36Y floor plan?

huntdooly
Explorer
Explorer
The wife really likes this floor plan and we wonder if there are any other makes that have this floor plan?

Thanks for all your help!
14 REPLIES 14

huntdooly
Explorer
Explorer
tragusa3 wrote:
I'm on a 22k chassis and a fairly heavy coach. I've been to a CAT scale and weighed every single item that we put on board. Family of 4, carry lots of groceries and outdoor cooking equipment and I'm within 200 pounds of my limits with a third tank of water. Tight, but doable.

Wow!! That's great to hear! We are only two...250 lbs combined weight, but we plan to stay on the road continually for months at a time and even boondocking, so we would need to carry a lot of stuff. Hope that we can stay within limits.

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
I'm on a 22k chassis and a fairly heavy coach. I've been to a CAT scale and weighed every single item that we put on board. Family of 4, carry lots of groceries and outdoor cooking equipment and I'm within 200 pounds of my limits with a third tank of water. Tight, but doable.
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

huntdooly
Explorer
Explorer
irishtom29 wrote:
huntdooly wrote:
irishtom29 wrote:
We looked at one and we quite taken with the floor plan; best kitchen we saw in a gasser its size. Kitchen is kindโ€™a dramatic visually too. But we were put off by the 22,000 pound chassis on a coach its size, didnโ€™t care for the short wheelbase either.

Would you please explain what would be the problem with the 22,000 lb. chassis? And the short wheelbase? Sorry...I'm not mechanically inclined.

The Ford chassis used comes in various ratings, at the top ratings of 22,000, 24,000 and 26,000 pounds. The difference between the weight of your coach with no cargo and the chassis rating is your payloadโ€”how much stuff (including people) the coach can carry. I suspected a 37 foot coach on a 22,000 pound chassis would be low on payload. I own a 34 foot long coach on a 24,000 pound chassis and have adequate payload for my needs. Note that surprisingly low payloads are quite common with coaches.

Conventional wisdom is that the longer the wheelbase in proportion to the length of the coach the better the handling, especially straight line stability. The 36Y wheelbase is on the low side of that ratio and subjectively I dislike the look off a long rear overhang.

Regards

Thank you, for that explanation.

wannavolunteerF
Explorer
Explorer
The 36Y was one of my favorites, but I never found one in my area to look at. Several years ago, I looked at a Thor Hurricane that was similar. The bath was a walk though (kinda zig zag through actually) and kitchen was on curb side. I wanted a MH with road side kitchen, so ended up with Georgetown 378TS.
2015 FR Georgetown 378TS

irishtom29
Explorer
Explorer
huntdooly wrote:
irishtom29 wrote:
We looked at one and we quite taken with the floor plan; best kitchen we saw in a gasser its size. Kitchen is kindโ€™a dramatic visually too. But we were put off by the 22,000 pound chassis on a coach its size, didnโ€™t care for the short wheelbase either.

Would you please explain what would be the problem with the 22,000 lb. chassis? And the short wheelbase? Sorry...I'm not mechanically inclined.

The Ford chassis used comes in various ratings, at the top ratings of 22,000, 24,000 and 26,000 pounds. The difference between the weight of your coach with no cargo and the chassis rating is your payloadโ€”how much stuff (including people) the coach can carry. I suspected a 37 foot coach on a 22,000 pound chassis would be low on payload. I own a 34 foot long coach on a 24,000 pound chassis and have adequate payload for my needs. Note that surprisingly low payloads are quite common with coaches.

Conventional wisdom is that the longer the wheelbase in proportion to the length of the coach the better the handling, especially straight line stability. The 36Y wheelbase is on the low side of that ratio and subjectively I dislike the look off a long rear overhang.

Regards

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
Thought I'd add about the batteries. It actually has a type of slide out tray for the batteries but the access door is too small for the tray and batteries to slide out. WTH??? We replaced the original 12 volts with 6 volt golf cart batteries from Sams Club. Use a battery watering system as the tight quarters prevent easily looking in the cells to check the water. As for chassis, Winnebagos are pretty light for their size, the 22K chassis is plenty stout enough. Comes with the bigger wheels and tires. While the shorter wheelbase will make for a bouncier ride, you have the advantage of far better maneuverability in tight quarters, something that comes in handy at closely spaced gas station islands (watch the rear overhang swinging out, though). Everything is a tradeoff.... It was priced at the top of it's model line..think that turned many people off. We got a deal buying at the end of the 2015 model year.

huntdooly
Explorer
Explorer
irishtom29 wrote:

huntdooly
Explorer
Explorer
mike brez wrote:
A picture would help :B

Thanks for that!

huntdooly
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the responses! I appreciate hearing from the owners of the floor plan, since we have not been inside one!

Is it pretty tight within the kitchen confines? Can you bend over comfortably to access the lower drawers?

This model seems hard to come by...we couldn't find any beyond 2016. It must not have been well-received.

swphotobug
Explorer
Explorer
We also have the 2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y and love the floor plan. We also replaced the couch with recliners.

The only "defect" is ours does not have a slideout tray for the batteries but we resolved that by putting in AGM batteries. Charge so much faster and no maintenance.

We second everything said so far.

irishtom29
Explorer
Explorer

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y since new. We really like the floor plan. The fridge, bed, and bathroom are fully usable with all the slides in. We like the side hallway as it gives a feeling of separation from the rest of the coach if one person goes to bed before the other. It also has more storage space than most coaches, helpful if you take long trips. Huge wardrobe in rear. The bedroom ceiling mounted TV is the BEST! Close enough to easily watch and at the perfect angle to watch without having to prop your head up on a pile of pillows. Ours has a king bed (not all do). The living area TV pops up via an "televator" from the rear of the dinette buffet. Perfect location to watch from the couch. We replaced our couch with a recliner couch from Sams Club. It had a steel frame and came in pieces that allowed us to get it through the door. The "televator" will accommodate a 43" TV (comes with a 39"). We made that upgrade to get a "smart TV". Bought it at Best Buy, an Insignia brand like what it came with. The kitchen has more counter space than anything I've seen short of a 45' pusher. Some have washer/dryers. It has the hookups if it didn't come with that option. The power cable can be relocated from the main utility bay to a small compartment just behind it. A worthwhile mod. Any other questions feel free to ask!

Rick_Jay
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't know if anyone else has that floorplan, but I do have a couple of questions. Have you actually been inside this rig? With the main slide in? How usable is the kitchen area with the main slide in? Can you get to all of the important cabinets with that slide in?

If you're going to be travelling down the road and stop off at a rest area for breakfast/lunch/dinner, you may not be able to put the slide out, so you want things accessible with it in.

Also, not sure where the front TV is located, but if it's across the sofa next to the dinette, I don't think that would be my preference.

~Rick
2005 Georgie Boy Cruise Master 3625 DS on a Workhorse W-22
Rick, Gail, 1 girl (27-Angel since 2008), 1 girl (22), 2 boys (23 & 20).
2001 Honda Odyssey, Demco Aluminator tow bar & tow plate, SMI Silent Partner brake controller.

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
A picture would help :B

1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU