cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Annual maintenance

AikenRacer
Explorer
Explorer
I have been changing the oil and fuel filters for the engine and generator once a year. Our mh gets about 2000 miles per year and other than camping, it stays in a climate controlled shop. Recently, I have had several people tell me that my maintenance schedule is too frequent. I plan on maintaining it since I do the maintenance myself. I was just wondering when other do their maintenance? Also, do you change antifreeze based on time, mileage or analysis?
2012 Tuscany 42RQ tag
2005 Silverado 2500 w/ piggy back golf cart
23 REPLIES 23

jeromep
Explorer
Explorer
AikenRacer wrote:
I have been changing the oil and fuel filters for the engine and generator once a year. Our mh gets about 2000 miles per year and other than camping, it stays in a climate controlled shop. Recently, I have had several people tell me that my maintenance schedule is too frequent. I plan on maintaining it since I do the maintenance myself. I was just wondering when other do their maintenance? Also, do you change antifreeze based on time, mileage or analysis?

I think your activity is reasonable. Oil changes at 3000 miles is a very old standard, but considered quite reasonable 20+ years ago because lubricants weren't nearly as sophisticated as they are today. In most automotive circles, if you are using good lubricants oil changes every 5000 is sufficient. Likewise, on something like an RV where you have a period of regular use followed by a layup period, doing seasonal maintenance makes a lot of sense.

Fuel filters might be a bit of overkill. I think you wouldn't notice any change one way or the other if you didn't mess with the fuel filters that often... however, if you are a DP, I'm not super qualified to speak, but unlike gasoline, diesel fuel does suffer greatly from possible contamination and water in the fuel that gasoline doesn't suffer from as much. So changing out diesel fuel filters on a yearly basis may have some benefit.

Coolant these days is also pretty advanced. I would think that a mileage based replacement cycle on coolant would be sufficiently fine. You could also do coolant changes based on time, but that time frame between changes would be based on years, not seasonally.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
OP, I’ll recycle your 10+ gallons of 2000 miles engine oil, into my engine...I prefer Shell Rotella T. 50 years ago Cat recommended 100 hour oil changes in their heavy equipment. With oil sampling I went to 250 (could of gone longer) but easier to keep up with when to change.

Just bought a new Cat SkidSteer...recommended 500 hours oil changes and Cat knows it’s going to be hard hours... 90+% power most of the time. 500 hours at an average of 55 mph is 27,500 miles. Most of the time my DP is using 40% power.

The oil sample when I changed for the first time at 15,000 mile showed I could have gone longer so next time at 15K miles I’ll take a sample and if it shows still good, I’ll change the 12 gallons at 20K.

I go 500 hours on the diesel generator mainly because it’s easy to remember.

On a gas rig I’d probably go 5000 miles as it’s all of 6 quarts to change.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

udidwht
Explorer
Explorer
An oil analysis is the only way to know if the oil life is done. Anything else is guessing. That said, I pulled a sample of mine after 4K miles (Valvoline VR-1 Racing 10w-30) and the TBN was at 6.3. And that was after 17 months. Anything above 1.0 is still considered acceptable.

The oil out of the bottle starts at 8.0 TBN (Virgin).

I'm now running Valvoline Full synthetic 10w-30

Any decent brand oil (even conventional) can live a long life 5,000+ miles. Age doesn't effect it so much as long as the engine is performing as it's designed to (no issues). RV's spend the majority of their time cruising on the highway at a steady speed. That type of driving is very easy on oil.

My recent trip I logged 3099 miles (US) and the oil has 5,527 miles on it. It was put in back in July 2020. I have no plan to change it until I approach 7,500 miles. I'm also using a Mobil 1 Extended Perf. filter
1994 Fleetwood Southwind Storm
P-30 chassis 7.4L 454 TBI 58,301 miles and counting....(as of 06/08/19)
VIN# 1GBJP37N4R3314754
Flight System Generator man 360 (PM me)

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
One thing a lot of RVers forget is the Hoses and Belts on the engine. I would replace all the belts and hoses every 5 years and keep the replaced Belts and hoses for emergency use if a new hose or belt fails. The cost of doing this is small compared to breaking down in the middle of nowhere and trying to find the specific belt or hose you need for a motorhome chassis. Doug

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lwiddis wrote:
“Keep in mind the guidelines are what the OEM has determined to be the minimum necessary to ensure the product operates thru the warranty period.”

I disagree. Do you have any evidence showing OEMs are only concerned with the minimum for warranties?

Nope, but can you show me evidence they are concerned with paying for repairs post warranty?
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
Factory recommendations are a minimum for me, I see no issue if you want to replace fluids and filters to your hearts content, over 90% of the vehicles we have owned during our lifetime (100% of our RVs) have never been back to the dealer for service. Additionally, I just love doing mods and maintenance on our RVs, it's fun and keeps me from having to work on the rig while on the road when I just want to enjoy the RVing lifestyle.

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
Doubt our Mh went 4,000 miles without changing the fluids and lubricating. A couple three years we didn't go anywhere and still changed the fluids.

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Once a year like clockwork. $300 well spent as I don't do the oil change myself. I do have the SCA checked and added if necessary...Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
I get mine serviced every spring

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
If the generator isn't being run a whole lot I would just change its oil along with the MH engine oil before it gets put into storage.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
The grease I use is about 10$us a tube. The engine lube oil is only about 30$us for the jug and the filter I like is 8$.

When I compare that to the 3K$us that the overhaul cost me two years ago (when I did the R&R and most of the engine work), that all looks real reasonable to me.

Grease is cheaper than parts - always.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

Roger_in_VERMON
Explorer
Explorer
Maintenance every year no matter how much we use it.

We average about 6,000 per year.
🙂 2001 41' Holiday Rambler Imperial
2004 Jeep Wrangler
Weekenders and Loving it!

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
Mfan wrote:
It doesn't hurt to change early,it does hurt to change late.

+1
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
My rig from 92 and I do something similar to what you have been doing. At some point you need to change out all the rubber. Check your antifreeze every yr and replace as needed - when it doubt change it - not hard and lack of attention can lead to new pumps/radiator which are expensive. Don't forget to change transmission fluid - should last a long time but it's something we tend to ignore.
Kevin