cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

ALWAYS something!

RJL
Explorer
Explorer
Been in the Class "A" camping thing since about 07. This is our second unit.

EVERY time I've gone out, in this one and the one before something breaks. EVERY time. This time I have several issues. Outside radio not working. Awning acting up. Outdoor lights pooped the bed. (the decorative type you clip to your awning). Levels test decided to stop working inside to see your tank levels, literally just now, worked before we went out for dinner. Steps, they went last trip. Main TV and VCR went two trips ago.

Getting exhausting.

Rant over.
2010 Damon Challenger 368, F-53 Chasis
2010 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon unlimited, Toad
2018 Ram 1500 4x4, Club Cab, 6.4 bed,3.92 gears, 5.7 HEMI
2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack Wide Body, 6.4 HEMI
33 REPLIES 33

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
All of you people with you brand new coaches are not even close to my issues. Our wonderful coach will officially be 50 in a few weeks. As it is a very truly 50yo vehicle it requires all the love and attention that vehicles of that era required to stay reliable. Fortunately, I am very tuned to the regular services she requires and have tooled up and am ready for them. Yes, things do break and/wear out, but that is part of the charm of the old girl. While there is an incredible level of support available for the known needed parts, there are not may technicians that understand these coaches. As I do not mind most of the work, what I really don't mind is that if I do what is required, it will be done right.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
My steps just stopped working when I picked it up from storage. I did the motor 3 1/2 years ago. I just ordered another. I would replace the steps but the new ones are $1200!
I Laos have my shower door that need fixing. The little black clips at the bottom broke and the one panel flops all over, I did the other one a couple years ago.
I have a tick that just developed from the exhaust flange. Not the manifold, but the collector at the catalytic converter. Looks like one of the nuts backed off a bit.
And Iโ€™ve got a license plate light out!
Always something!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
"Outdoor lights pooped the bed. (the decorative type you clip to your awning)"

Trying to figure this one out.

VCR.. My RV came with a Zenith(Made by LG.. LG = Lucky Goldstar.. So far in my life I've had JUST ONE Gold/LG product that has performed as advertised.. That was NOT it). (Panasonic replacement worked fine).

Levels test works right... The first trip never again.

Main TV.... If your rig has a VCR you likely need to upgrade TV.

Hello wa8yxm! Just wondering, did you not replace your 'totaled-out' RV or did you keep it?

I remember in the past that the motor was broken, I know that was a while ago.

Safe travels,
MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

FLY_4_FUN
Explorer
Explorer
I think many of us sometimes question the balance of fun vs frustration of rv's. I just put thousands of dollars into suspension, bearings, and slide repairs and it almost broke my spirit. Then we set up for a few wonderful trips with family and friends and I realized yes its been great. You really need to be handy and take the break downs in stride cause they happen more and more with todays "shoddy" units. I bet a lot of folks got into rv's during Covid and are now regretting the payments/storage/maintenance/insurance etc that go into our hobby. Life is short so im glad to put up with the negatives to enjoy the positives.

Daryll
2012 Dodge Ram 3500 crew SB 4x4 CTD 3.73
2015 Brookstone 315RL
2009 Colorado 29BHS (sold 2015)
05 Jayflight 29BHS (sold 2008)
99 Jayco Eagle 12SO (sold 2005)

C20
Explorer
Explorer
Always something. Just did 9000 miles to Alaska and back, and actually was surprised that we had only minor issues. Roads suck there though. Broke a bilstien shock on the toad!
2017 Newmar Essex
97 Jeep Wrangler
16 HD CVO Street glide
2015 Challenger Hellcat
2021 Hellcat Durango
2020 ram 2500 Cummins

RJL
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all. I've been through this before. In both rigs. This one seems very problematic though. I was/am just ranting. I'll get it fixed, and we'll camp with no problems and I'll be happy. But the next few trips, with absolute certainty there will be more carnage.

Anyway thanks for the words of encouragement.

Bob
2010 Damon Challenger 368, F-53 Chasis
2010 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon unlimited, Toad
2018 Ram 1500 4x4, Club Cab, 6.4 bed,3.92 gears, 5.7 HEMI
2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack Wide Body, 6.4 HEMI

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
My daughter's family Jayco TT is like that ! They have given up trying to get many items fixed (water heater won't re-light, you have to cycle the switch; broken interior light fixtures; awning arms bent/mangled)

chuckftboy
Explorer
Explorer
If you go on an RV trip and return home with nothing broken, you wern't gone long enough. I gage the quality of a trip with the number of broken things when I return home. Happens to all of us!
2019 Horizon 42Q Maxum Chassis w/tag
Cummins L-9 450 HP / Allison 3000
2006 Jeep TJ and 2011 Chevy Traverse Tows

YC_1
Nomad
Nomad
Blaster Man wrote:
You must remember, all RVs are in one of the following three conditions....in any order:

1. It's broken.
2. You just fixed it.
3. It's getting ready to break.

You missed something that is broken.

Carry a note pad and prioritize repairs and replacements.

Be glad you don't fly a helicopter or fly a plane. The maintenance seems unending, which it is.

We have owned our 2008 HR Endeavor. When it moves, something breaks.

You have to be:

Handy with tools
Handy with a voltmeter
Handy with a check book

All the above at once.
H/R Endeavor 2008
Ford F150 toad >Full Timers
Certified Senior Electronic Technician, Telecommunications Engineer, Telecommunications repair Service Center Owner, Original owner HR 2008

jjj
Explorer
Explorer
Unfortunately things are not made to last anymore.
I still have a 2005 tv in my trailer that is 26 inch and
is heavier then **** but still works and my manual awning
is still working but this year needs a replacement
fabric,anything I bought in the last 5-6 years gives me
trouble one way or another. My truck is a 2002 and has
38000 miles on it and the only problem I had was a
bad fuel pump and that is why I will keep it until
it won't go anymore.
2002 F-350 Crew-Cab Dually
V-10-4.30 gears Mag-Hytec diff.cover
w/Amsoil-6.0 trans cooler Curt Q5 20K hitch & bedsaver
2005 Keystone Challenger 34TBH-Fifth Airbourn

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Bouncing down the road breaks a bunch of stuff before it would die in a house.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Think of your RV as a small home that is in a continuous earthquake. With today's roads it sometimes is amazing that they hold together as well as they do. As mentioned just enjoy the travels and don't let the occasional repair get you down. On my coaches, if I wasn't doing a repair, I was doing an "improvement" to make it more pleasant for the next trip.

Blaster_Man
Explorer
Explorer
You must remember, all RVs are in one of the following three conditions....in any order:

1. It's broken.
2. You just fixed it.
3. It's getting ready to break.
2014 American Eagle

WinMinnie02
Explorer
Explorer
Try to relax and enjoy Rving. Same as a home and vehicle maintenance always needed. Except for a home if you buy used they are others people's problems.

Bruce_Brown
I feel your pain. If our second MH had been our first one there never would have been another.

Fortunately we already had the RV bug so we jumped in with both feet and in 2000 we ordered our first new one, a Newmar Dutch Star gasser. We've owned (2) more Newmars since, owning our current one for 15 years now.

I'm happy to give you hope, it can get better.

Since 2000 we've made exactly ONE trip back to a dealer. Sure we've had a few things wear out, and I'm fairly mechanical, but obviously we haven't had anything too complicated.

Keep your chin up, get things fixed, and keep in mind your fix will most likely be better than it came from the factory.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910