Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

All over the road

KeninAZ
Explorer
Explorer
I have the class A listed below.
In a cross wind it can be a bear to control and I can live with that.
But even on a nice day it tends to wander or wag and I don't really know which you would call it. But it seems to be steering.
I have checked loading, tire pressures and the like and found nothing.
I know that in the past certain units tended to do this but they also had fixes for the problem.
I don't know if it makes a difference but it's the Ford Chassis, the V-10 motor.
I would like to fix the problem if it's not too costly, this is an older unit.
Anyone remember the Bounders having this problem and what the fix was?
2000 Bounder 31M Class A~oldie but goodie
Acme EZE Tow Dolly towing 2017 Chrysler Pacifica
18 REPLIES 18

10forty2
Explorer
Explorer
Glad that worked! As soon as you can though, get your rig weighed...preferably a 4-corner weight, but if not... at a minimum, both axles separate. THEN set the tire pressures according to the weight chart for your tires. Weigh the rig with everything, including passengers and pets, you would normally carry on a trip...full fuel tank, water, clothes, food, ice, beverage, etc.
1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor, 36' Gasser
Triton V10, Ford F53 Chassis
-----------------------------------------

KeninAZ
Explorer
Explorer
Today I went over and set all air pressures to 80 PSI on the tires. They had been set at one time at 90-95 PSI, or so I thought.

I then took the unit out to a variety of roads with slopes to them and it tracks better and does not "hunt" anymore.

It would appear that I had too much pressure in the tires and that was the sole reason it handled funny.
Problem solved anyway, and a cheap fix at that. I still cannot believe that tire pressure could cause all those problems.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Explorer
Explorer
The longer distance from the front axle to the rear will be a huge difference in the white knuckles you might be having. Do the research
The manatees of Halls river Homosassa Springs Fl

1985 Chevy Silverado c10. 454 stroker / 495 CI = 675 HP. 650lb of torque. Turb0 400 tranny. 3000 stall converter. Aluminum heads. 3 inch exhaust flowmasters. 2 inch headers. Heat and air. Tubed.

KeninAZ
Explorer
Explorer
I am going to try lower pressure tomorrow and see what affect it has.
Also note that I removed the old CRT style TV and all associated electronics and the rear passenger chair from this unit which lowered the front axle weight by an estimated 350-400#, Not much but it all counts.
This unit has a large water tank in the middle of the chassis, 75 gallons worth, and I never travel with it full unless I am dry camping which would be rare for me today. No sense in carrying weight you don't need.
I am in contact with a member of the forum that is very helpful with lots of experience with tires.
I do have Ironman tires, like new. size 245/70R 19.5.
The federal label inside the coach says max pressure on both axles is supposed to be 85 PSI and I am loaded medium weight, I think.
When I measure the pressure on the front I found that the pressure was over that recommended at 90.
So tomorrow I will lower the pressure and even them all out and take a test drive.
Somehow or the other I had in mind that the pressure was supposed to be at 95 PSI, maybe from what the dealer told me when I got it, and they could well have been wrong.
Anyway, I will check all the pressures all around and level them out at 75 as a starting point and see how it drives.
From there I will have someone experienced check the suspension for wear and possibly have some new shocks put on it.
Hopefully this will be a cheaper fix to the problems.
Thanks.

George_Beggs
Explorer
Explorer
Lower the tire pressure and put as much weight near the front axle as you can. Also keep the water tank half full or less.
George & Linda
2007 Bounder 35E
Ford V10

KeninAZ
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting to see the number of hams here. Me too, W7KKK, just getting active again after getting clearance for RF exposure and my pacemaker/defibrillator.
If it's not one thing it's another.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Something we forget in these days of Independent Front Suspension and McPherson Struts is WAG

Your motor hone is on leaf spring spsennsion this means the body can mnove (Slightly) side to side relative to the axle .So imagine if the front moves left and the rear right, You think you are wantering toward the center so you compensate, then the ends swap How you think you hare headed to the ditch and you conmpensate. Like a dogs tail waging side to side.

Another issue is sway.. Like fans at a rock concert swaying side to side holding their bics

Three improvements you can make on MANY motor homes 2 on most all

1 Sway bar, Helps control the Rock Fan like side to side rocking.

2: Trac bars Front and rear two of them stop WAD dead I mneanb 100%.. One is often enough Most folks say do the rear firest

3: Steering stablizer I went with Blue Ox Tru-Center as when I got it it was the only one you can "Re-center" from the drivers seat Now Safe-T-Steer offers tha as an option,
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

DaveG39
Explorer
Explorer
Years ago had a Bounder. Same problem. The rear overhang contributed to the problem. Added steering stabilizers. Helped a bit but could not solve problem in any medium to high side winds.
2007 TropiCal LX towing 2012 Honda
CRV, Goleta, CA

Blutoyz
Explorer
Explorer
I had the same thing when I went to the max pressure on the tire. Once I adjusted it back to the "calculated" weight it handled much better. I was riding on the center of the fronts and this was causing it to "hunt" while rolling down the road
She may be old but she is paid for (the rig that is)

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
You need to weigh your vehicle. Then consult tire chart for proper front and rear tire pressures. I run slightly higher then chart shows for my weights. Only about 5 pounds.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

KeninAZ
Explorer
Explorer
KeninAZ wrote:
FIRE UP wrote:
KeninAZ wrote:
The TP are set at Max and the wear on the tires is even.
But the tires were new when I bought it and I have not put more than 2k on it since I bought it so who knows.
The shock replacement I will assume is front and rear (I assume I have rear shocks)?

Well Sir,
That could very well be your issue. Long story short. I had six brand new tires put on my previous coach, a '99 Fleetwood Bounder 34V with the F-53 chassis and the V-10. Well, not paying attention to the tire tech who did the work, he inflated my tires to the "MAX" too, that was on the side wall. Well, it was horrible driving it on the first trip. Like yours, it was all over the place. It had never driven like that before.

So, I inquired and, found out about weighing the coach and then going to the website for the tire brand that was installed on the coach to see what their tire chart recommended for the proper inflation for the weights on each axle.

Man, was that pressure WAAAAAAAAAAAY OFF! I lowered it waaaaay down for both axles and, after that, all was well. It now handled the way it was supposed to, true and straight. Just some info for ya to think about if you haven't already.
Scott

Interesting that TP could affect the unit.
The SP was pretty much at max when I got the unit used. The only time I had problems was with the left front which had a rim sealing problem that had to be worked on 3x but that's OK now.
I will have to drive over to the storage yard and take a look a the brand of tires and try to find a pressure chart for them.

KeninAZ
Explorer
Explorer
FIRE UP wrote:
KeninAZ wrote:
The TP are set at Max and the wear on the tires is even.
But the tires were new when I bought it and I have not put more than 2k on it since I bought it so who knows.
The shock replacement I will assume is front and rear (I assume I have rear shocks)?

Well Sir,
That could very well be your issue. Long story short. I had six brand new tires put on my previous coach, a '99 Fleetwood Bounder 34V with the F-53 chassis and the V-10. Well, not paying attention to the tire tech who did the work, he inflated my tires to the "MAX" too, that was on the side wall. Well, it was horrible driving it on the first trip. Like yours, it was all over the place. It had never driven like that before.

So, I inquired and, found out about weighing the coach and then going to the website for the tire brand that was installed on the coach to see what their tire chart recommended for the proper inflation for the weights on each axle.

Man, was that pressure WAAAAAAAAAAAY OFF! I lowered it waaaaay down for both axles and, after that, all was well. It now handled the way it was supposed to, true and straight. Just some info for ya to think about if you haven't already.
Scott

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
A similar question came up on Jan 29. Good responses: Click here.

OLYLEN
Explorer
Explorer
1. Cheap handling fix. Air pressure on tires for weight. Free
2. Alighment. $180 Read about this too, there is a setting for the RV.
3. Front stablizer. $250-$450 depending on brand. You may have one but worn out.
4. Bushings ???? cost not terrible
5. Track bars front and rear $500+- front plus rear.

LEN