cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Air bag life span

doc_brown
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2004 Country Coach, what is the expected life span of the air bags? I’m the original owner, I have 89,000 miles on her and I just installed my third set of shocks.
Steve,Kathy and Josh
Morpheus(Basenji)at Rainbow Bridge
2004 40' TSDP Country Coach Inspire DaVinci
350 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S, Air Force One Braking, Blue Ox
15 REPLIES 15

ILVMYGT
Explorer
Explorer
doc brown wrote:
Trying to find air bag replacements but finding the numbers on the existing bags is impossible while mounted. Anyone have any idea what the replacemen5 bags for CC might be? No response from CC parts center in Oregon. I did post in a CC owners forum but no response.

There should be a manufacture label plate on the suspension assemble with a part number and serial number. If you can find it (it take some looking) then contact the manufacture and they can give you the correct information for the air bags. Based on a quick search your suspension might be.

Front HOLLAND/NEWAY IFS-114
Drive NEWAY ADL-120 & ADL-123

Go to their web sites and see it they tell you where the label plates are located.

I did this on my MAGNA and the information Ridewell Suspensions provided base on the label plate information has been invaluable.
2000 Country Coach Magna
CAT 385HP Allison 6sp
1998 Saturn SW2

doc_brown
Explorer
Explorer
Had a nice discussion with Kevin and followed it up with a truck mechanic friend of mine. I believe I’m good. Bags hold air, no flaking of the rubber upon touching, no cracks.
Steve,Kathy and Josh

smlranger
Explorer
Explorer
doc brown wrote:
Trying to find air bag replacements but finding the numbers on the existing bags is impossible while mounted. Anyone have any idea what the replacemen5 bags for CC might be? No response from CC parts center in Oregon. I did post in a CC owners forum but no response.

Contact Kevin Waite in Junction Ciy, OR. He can likely locate some bags for you.

541-953-6162.

When you call Winnebago/CC try and get to speak to Greg Bootes. Greg is usually able to identify most any part if you provide your coach serial #.
2019 Grand Design Solitude 384GK 5th wheel. Glen Allen, VA

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
Matt_Colie wrote:
I happen to own a coach that absolutely requires that the airsprings in the rear suspension are functional. That is all it has and if one goes out (on my coach's vintage) it cannot be moved.

The real answer to your question is very dependent on the model and manufacture of the specific part. The OE for the coach had a life of about 20 years. The newer replacements seem to only last about 15 years. I personally would have to go with current manufacturing processes and vote that like tires, start worrying at 10 years.

Matt

It caught my attention that you must have over 35 years on your coach to answer the way that you did. I am surprised at how many of those old GM coaches are still on the road. I wonder if my 2013 will last even half that long. Keep her going as long as you can!

doc_brown
Explorer
Explorer
Steve,Kathy and Josh

C20
Explorer
Explorer
I drive a commercial truck part time, and its a 95 Kenworth with 700k on it. Just put the 2nd set on it, and he's owned the truck since new.
2017 Newmar Essex
97 Jeep Wrangler
16 HD CVO Street glide
2015 Challenger Hellcat
2021 Hellcat Durango
2020 ram 2500 Cummins

Johnny_G1
Explorer
Explorer
I changed out the springs on my mh 15 yrs ago and it will sit in my carport month after month and not loose a lb of air, fired it up today after sitting 16 months and still sounds the same as it did when I bought it, air pressure had not dropped a lb, has air suspension from FL70 Freightliner truck that I put in myself for a smoother ride and has never let me down yet. Bags still look good after 4 trips to Alaska and 2 to east coast plus numerous trips to Yuma. Milage now @ 100,000 miles.
98 Mountain Aire 34' 210 Cummins Puller and 2001 dodge dully with all the toy's, 400 + hp pullin a 2001 32.5' Okanogan 5th wheel, new to us after 5 yrs with the 28' Travel Aire. Lots of fun.

dons2346
Explorer
Explorer
What you see on the outside is a protective covering and not the actual air bag

doc_brown
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies. My mechanic says the bags look good but at 14 years I think I’ll change them out.
Steve,Kathy and Josh

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
I believe mine are original. 20 years old and hold air very well and also apear to look good.
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
We have had ours inspected because we were worried about it as the OP is. Motor trucks told us we had the new type (what ever that is) and not to worry, they would never need replacing.

Now I worry more.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
I happen to own a coach that absolutely requires that the airsprings in the rear suspension are functional. That is all it has and if one goes out (on my coach's vintage) it cannot be moved.

The real answer to your question is very dependent on the model and manufacture of the specific part. The OE for the coach had a life of about 20 years. The newer replacements seem to only last about 15 years. I personally would have to go with current manufacturing processes and vote that like tires, start worrying at 10 years.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
On the Prevost site, they recommend that 10 yrs. is a good time to replace the airbags. The bags can develop leaks as they age. You certainly don't want to be out on a trip and 'pop' a bag!

Safe travels,
MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

William_B
Explorer
Explorer
We found out when we were at Josam's in Orlando getting new tires that our air bags looked very worn and it was suggested we replace them. They are very cracked near the bottoms, so for piece of mind we are having them replaced on our way out of Florida in a few weeks. 2007 coach with 129,000 miles with 1 trip to Alaska.
Full timing since 2004
2007 Holiday Rambler Navigator 45' DD Series 60
2019 Dodge Ram 1500 Limited

Our Blog