Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice for a trip up the west coast

prepilot_3ck
Explorer
Explorer
Fellow Class A'ers,

My wife and I have an RV trip planned that will take us from Las Vegas, NV to Newport,Or and back in the course of about 7 1/2 days. We've looked at a variety of different routes. One that takes us up the east side of the Sierra Nevada's into Reno/Tahoe then into Eugene then over to new port. Another route that takes us west-ish to Bakersfield then up to Sac, then Eugene and over. Then there is the route I actually WANT to take. I'd LIKE to get to sea-level as fast as I can to minimize the climbing I'd have to do on the other routes. Newport is on the coast, and the Hwy 1/hwy 101 look amazing in terms of scenery.

I've researched a ton of RV parks, campgrounds and rest stops so I have a pretty good idea of where we can/should stay, but I just don't know how reasonable from a driving standpoint going up the coast is.

Does anyone have experience driving the 1/101 up the coast? Is it doable in a 40Ft gas class-A with a toad? What's the best way to cut over to the coast? Should I get north of the bay area first? or is the drive on the 1 through San Fran not too bad? Being 2 lane roads is the traffic really bad? So many questions.

Thanks!
Brian
2016 Thor Outlaw 37RB
VW Tiguan Toad.
Coupla bikes, coupla dogs, coupla 40-somethings wishing they were retired.

My Reviews:
-----------
Campendium: https://www.campendium.com/users/157273
Campground Reviews: http://www.campgroundreviews.com/profile/31929
39 REPLIES 39

sundance_8
Explorer
Explorer
Did the PCH 2 years ago from LA to Oregon with our 37-0 motorhome and toad. Some of the switchbacks will make you real nervous. If you cut a little to tight the overhanging rocks will redesign your MH. The trip although beautiful wore my ass out. Get ready for some real expensive camp sites and fuel.
www.threedogsandus.com

MrWizard
Is it doable in a 40Ft gas class-A with a toad?

my opinion, you will be a worn out nervous wreck

i did it once with a PUP / fold out popup

but i would never do it with a big class A , even without the toad
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
x2, Bill. 300 miles per day without any “layovers” to see the sites wouldn’t be fun for me.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
You are planning a 2000 mile round trip journey in 7 1/2 days? There is no logical route other than 95 all the way to Reno and across the great divide (big hill but you get over it quickly). It's then 395 N. and the logical route from there through Susanville and Klamath Falls.
You could also detour after you cross the great divide through Grass Valley and Yuba City to get to I-5 to get yourself up OR. It's just about how many miles you like vs. how many hours you like. In any case it's going to be a grueling trip. Good luck!
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
If possible go up to Ft Stevens State Park. Visit the Maritime Museum in Astoria which is very interesting. The line across the street at the Bowpicker is for excellent Fish and Chips. Take the $2 waterfront trolly trip. You won't regret the trip further north. The OR/CA border is the only higher elevation pass and not to bad.

Several of the roads from 5 to 101 in OR are OK, not to limited. 20 in CA is OK or 37 to Vallejo on a non Sears Point race day.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

wildmanbaker
Explorer
Explorer
Second the reservations. 101 is a great drive, but slow, with lots of bad road and construction. Well worth the time and drive.
Wildmanbaker

Two_Hands
Explorer
Explorer
We just drove the 101 through San Francisco. There is a bunch of construction just about the entire length through downtown. Don’t even think of trying it. State Route 1 (PCH) is much, much better traveling either direction through the city.
2015 Fleetwood Excursion 33D
2016 Grand Cherokee Limited
Retired Law Enforcement
U.S. Army 1965-1973/RVN 1968-'69

I am the frequent recipient of "Get out of the way old man!"

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
be sure you call and make reservations at the parks you want to stay at. this time
of year it is almost impossible to get in to them. don't wait do it now

prepilot_3ck
Explorer
Explorer
Awesome! Thank you, this gives me a little hope. We have more time to get there than we have coming home. So, we'll take our time and make a ton of stops on the way up, then push it on the way home.

The no-hills thing I think works both ways. Vegas is 2200Ft and the mountains between here and bakersfield are only a couple thousand feet higher, and it's one maybe two passes before you get to the lower flatter stuff in CA. Heading up the east side of the mountains toward Reno is just pass after pass after pass, up and down up and down. Those passes are no joke either, 9K-10K+ feet in some cases. In a gas motorhome, it's just not fun. So, my plan is to hit the lower and less frequent passes between Vegas and Bakersfield and get to sea-level as soon as I can and then just stay there. On the way back, it's just the reverse. So, couple thousand ft passes and then we're at Vegas level.

Brian

CA Traveler wrote:
101 is a major truck route and you'll have no problems along with many other RVs. I've taken the rig with toad through SF many times mostly 280/19th Ave. Middle lane, mid day works well and again this July for us. No GG toll north bound. South bound you pre pay, post pay or have FasTrak, there are no toll collectors, don't stop and cannot pay anyone.

How does going up the coast help with hills when returning? The entire OR coast is great so see the northern part if possible. The crossover at Eugene is good as are some of the other roads. Consider heading to Astoria/Columbia river and south down the entire coast or the reverse course.

There is a slight south bound rig advantage. Most of the ocean view points are on curves and on the ocean side. Hence no cross traffic when you pull off/on south bound.
2016 Thor Outlaw 37RB
VW Tiguan Toad.
Coupla bikes, coupla dogs, coupla 40-somethings wishing they were retired.

My Reviews:
-----------
Campendium: https://www.campendium.com/users/157273
Campground Reviews: http://www.campgroundreviews.com/profile/31929

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
101 is a major truck route and you'll have no problems along with many other RVs. I've taken the rig with toad through SF many times mostly 280/19th Ave. Middle lane, mid day works well and again this July for us. No GG toll north bound. South bound you pre pay, post pay or have FasTrak, there are no toll collectors, don't stop and cannot pay anyone.

How does going up the coast help with hills when returning? The entire OR coast is great so see the northern part if possible. The crossover at Eugene is good as are some of the other roads. Consider heading to Astoria/Columbia river and south down the entire coast or the reverse course.

There is a slight south bound rig advantage. Most of the ocean view points are on curves and on the ocean side. Hence no cross traffic when you pull off/on south bound.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob