cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

a question

Danford50
Explorer
Explorer
do you have to have your motorhome plug in to shore power for your slide out to work, or will they work off the battery
8 REPLIES 8

OFDPOS
Explorer
Explorer
Yep most of what CharlesinGA said about setting Parking brake and Eng running.

Since we have auto levelers , we park I set the parking brake , leave the eng running.
While my DW hits the button to get the MH leveled I get the power-cord, sewer connections out of the storage and get them hooked up , by that time she's ready to run the slides out.

Once those are out , I follow up by turning the eng off, she has the windshield cover sitting on the drivers seat for me. I slip it over the door corner,shut that door , windshield , other door corner , shut the door.
She now has the electric awing out , I lay out the mat and set up the lawn chairs and small fold up table.

All this in about 8 minutes.

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mine has two batteries, which can move the slides OK when fully charged. Winnebago recommends, for my unit, running the engine while moving the slides, but I don't usually do that. However, I do plug in first, so I get some boost for that, maybe not as much as I would get from the engine alternator.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you will soon be driving or plugging in there is very little drain on the battery.
My trailer slide draws about 10 amps for 20 seconds.

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
If in doubt about the battery(s), run the generator.
Jayco-noslide

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
My Winnebago View has the slide powered off the CHASSIS battery, and requires the parking brake be SET for the slide to operate. My manual recommends the engine be operating during slide operation (for higher voltage) but it is not absolutely necessary. Later Views have the slide on the HOUSE batteries, but I think the parking brake still has to be SET.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

rbrand
Explorer
Explorer
You don't need to be plugged in. But it is easier on the battery if you are.
The less you plan the more options you have.

Currently with a 26' Forest River Class "C"

Ex Navy Diver
Ex Archaeologist
Ex Museologist
Actively retired

dicknellen
Explorer
Explorer
When I had a class c with slides, I would usually run the slides in or out with the engine running. Dick

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Provided battery is fully charged slide out(s) will operate Open/Close but not for very many times.

RVs are self contained......battery provides power for all 'necessary' items----for a while
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31