cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A new mysterious random clicking that

bob_b
Explorer
Explorer
is driving us crazy. It is like the sound of a solenoid but it will click once or twice or ten times randomly. At times we won't hear it for hours then it clicks for half a day. It seems to be from the board that controls the Hydro-Hot but touching all the parts to feel the exact location is inconclusive. The one clue is that the top green light on the right side is on while clicking but when it's off the clicking stops. Any ideas?

bob b
15 REPLIES 15

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
bob b wrote:
I did finally get a technician out to diagnose our problem and was told that we need a new circuit board. He told my wife(I wasn't home) that he found a bad diode and the only repair possible would be a complete replacement and the board would cost around $1,000 but needed to check further on that price. And no, he couldn't change out the diode.This seems a bit like needing a new motorhome because the tire went flat! I'm waiting for a second opinion.

I would call Aqua Hot and ask if it is possible that a DIODE would create a clicking problem. I doubt it. Diodes are a milliamp/volt one way electrical street. Of course, I would MAKE SURE that that Technician signed a paper that states IF that $1000 board does NOT fix your clicking, you pay nothing, not even the labor or service call. Doug

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Do you have the exact part number?
Circuit board

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

bob_b
Explorer
Explorer
I did finally get a technician out to diagnose our problem and was told that we need a new circuit board. He told my wife(I wasn't home) that he found a bad diode and the only repair possible would be a complete replacement and the board would cost around $1,000 but needed to check further on that price. And no, he couldn't change out the diode.This seems a bit like needing a new motorhome because the tire went flat! I'm waiting for a second opinion.
bob b

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
larry cad wrote:
dougrainer wrote:
I double checked to make sure. That area of burn was NOT caused by the actual exterior Aqua Hot unit or its components. That ribbon cable is ONLY for the Interior components of the Aqua Hot system. The various fan motors for the radiators. So, if that harness gets pinched or someone attempts to troubleshoot without knowing which wires do what, that overload would go back to the board and melt it. But none of those would cause a clicking sound. Doug

Everything you see is totally factory wiring. And when you consider that Hydrohot replaced everything in warranty you can be sure it was factory responsibility.

Fairly new Fleetwood Discovery.

You misunderstood my comments. YES, the wiring going to the inside radiators and blower fans is Aqua Hot. What I was stating is, the burn failure was caused by Fleetwood and the install. Doug

I happened to be there when this was discovered and was able to take pictures. My fingerprints are not on this one! :B

You misunderstood my comments. YES, the wiring going to the inside radiators and blower fans is Aqua Hot. What I was stating is, the burn failure was caused by Fleetwood and the install. Doug

larry_cad
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
I double checked to make sure. That area of burn was NOT caused by the actual exterior Aqua Hot unit or its components. That ribbon cable is ONLY for the Interior components of the Aqua Hot system. The various fan motors for the radiators. So, if that harness gets pinched or someone attempts to troubleshoot without knowing which wires do what, that overload would go back to the board and melt it. But none of those would cause a clicking sound. Doug

Everything you see is totally factory wiring. And when you consider that Hydrohot replaced everything in warranty you can be sure it was factory responsibility.

Fairly new Fleetwood Discovery.

I happened to be there when this was discovered and was able to take pictures. My fingerprints are not on this one! :B
Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
larry cad wrote:
dougrainer wrote:
Larry Cad, I have been working on Hydro/Aqua Hots for almost 27 years and have NEVER seen a Circuit board do that. NEVER have a burnt mark on a Circuit board. That said, that white pipe in first pic, how close was it to the circuit board? Or was it on the outside of the black circuit board cover? There is no real small fuse protection on the Circuit board and the ribbon cable components. So, a DIRECT short from any of the Aqua Hot 12 volt components could cause that ribbon connector to burn and melt. Doug

Doug, you may recall the problems Hydro Hot had with their pump motors a while back. This came about due to a defective motor. I believe they finally got it fixed with the third set of motors and have replaced all the motors in this RV.

You are correct, no small fuse protection in the devices. Gotta wonder.

I have replaced countless circ motors that failed/locked with the newer updated motors, but never had any of the failed components cause a burn. My belief is, that pic of the burned board indicate that someone who did not understand the wiring, crossed some wires or attempted to use a 12 volt power source on a circ motor and that caused the overload. Doug

larry_cad
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
Larry Cad, I have been working on Hydro/Aqua Hots for almost 27 years and have NEVER seen a Circuit board do that. NEVER have a burnt mark on a Circuit board. That said, that white pipe in first pic, how close was it to the circuit board? Or was it on the outside of the black circuit board cover? There is no real small fuse protection on the Circuit board and the ribbon cable components. So, a DIRECT short from any of the Aqua Hot 12 volt components could cause that ribbon connector to burn and melt. Doug

Doug, you may recall the problems Hydro Hot had with their pump motors a while back. This came about due to a defective motor. I believe they finally got it fixed with the third set of motors and have replaced all the motors in this RV.

You are correct, no small fuse protection in the devices. Gotta wonder.

Our Travel Blog

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
bob b wrote:
is driving us crazy. It is like the sound of a solenoid but it will click once or twice or ten times randomly. At times we won't hear it for hours then it clicks for half a day. It seems to be from the board that controls the Hydro-Hot but touching all the parts to feel the exact location is inconclusive. The one clue is that the top green light on the right side is on while clicking but when it's off the clicking stops. Any ideas?

Bob, Nick at RV Eagle is coming to service mine next Friday in Mesa. Give him a call...Dennis
RV Eagle
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Maybe this will help.
Not sure which model you have.
Read on circuit board which LED comes on.
Manual

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

bob_b
Explorer
Explorer
I can't be sure which relay is clicking and I am having trouble finding a service-man that will come out to our park in Mesa, Az. I have shut it off for now, the photo of the fire convinced me. Any other ideas?
bob b

larry_cad
Explorer
Explorer

Keep in mind that Hydro Hots have been known to catch on fire. It would be a good idea to get it checked.

Our Travel Blog

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
From the picture it looks like you have a relay at the top and bottom(black boxes). When it is clicking a finger on the relay should tell you which one is clicking. Once you determine that you should be able to narrow down the cause.