cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A/c unit

David0725
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hi I called Damatic today about my A/c they said the replacement # is 6518hxx1j0-01.
My old unit # is 630516.321
They said I would need a new thermostat controller because the new one don't work with the old controller but the A/c in the rear won't work with the new controller. But I can buy a Is conversion kit #3313107-107 has any one ever done this?. My other option is to buy 2 A/c units and the new controller. What is everyone else doing is there a different model ac I should be looking at? Thank you for your help
1994 Holiday Rambler Imperial DP
1999 Honda Accord V6 Toad
7 REPLIES 7

navigator2346
Explorer
Explorer
Guess he figured it our or went for it and replaced both. Oh well

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
navigator2346 wrote:
I have one old unit and one new unit. To make them play together, you can buy a control board for the new unit so it will work with the old 5 button thermostat. The cost of my new board was $187, plug and play.

It's easy for someone to say, just replace both units at a cost of about $2K each.

The OP has never responded to questions asked here. Doug

navigator2346
Explorer
Explorer
I have one old unit and one new unit. To make them play together, you can buy a control board for the new unit so it will work with the old 5 button thermostat. The cost of my new board was $187, plug and play.

It's easy for someone to say, just replace both units at a cost of about $2K each.

Bruce_Brown
We replaced one AC a few years back, we did the conversion kit and kept our original thermostat. We've been pleased.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

grldst
Explorer
Explorer
I have done the conversionโ€ฆ..replacing the control board. Not difficult. Mine was to upgrade from 4 button to 5 button thermostat. Since then, I believe there is another upgrade from the five button.

It may be easier to check with a RV salvage company and replace with a similar older unit.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
You have a 30 year old unit. You don't state how old the AC units are. IF original, then YES, it is better to replace BOTH Penguin's with the new style. The New Penguin's have on board 12 button control boards. Then after replacement, you just replace the wall tstat with a new 12 button Tstat. BUT, here is the problem. The Tstat and control systems for the current Control boards were not introduced until 1999. In 1999 Dometic went to a Communication cable system between the AC units and the wall tstats. This cable LOOKS like a 4 wire modular Phone cable but it wired in reverse of a phone cable, so you cannot use a standard phone cable. I need MORE info from you. You should have 2 wall tstats from your year model. Also, if the old style tstats, Dometic makes a adapter harness, to make the existing standard 6 wire tstat wire with a modular end. Also, IF 2 wall tstats, you will need 2 new 12 button wall tstats.
This link shows the adapter kit. You would need 2 kits.

https://www.amazon.com/Dometic-3106986007-Cable-Adapter-Kit/dp/B00T36PFB6

This link shows the wall tstat.

https://pantherrvproducts.com/3314082-011/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwhL6pBhDjARIsAGx8D5_eZQDuxhPl9woPEfueN9VVVx3...

WHICH WALL TSTAT DO YOU HAVE? 4 BUTTON? 5 BUTTON? 10 BUTTON?

Rick_Jay
Explorer II
Explorer II
No, I haven't done that, but I guess my first question is, do you now what's wrong with your current A/C unit? I usually opt to repair than replace, if economically sound. Sometimes all they need is a new relay or cleaning to become functional again. I had to replace a relay on our front A/C around the 10 year old mark, and it's been working for 9 years since.

I know there are members here who have more experience with the A/Cs, so I'm sure they can give you more opinions about changing out the unit, if that's what needs to be done.

Good Luck,

~Rick
2005 Georgie Boy Cruise Master 3625 DS on a Workhorse W-22
Rick, Gail, 1 girl (27-Angel since 2008), 1 girl (22), 2 boys (23 & 20).
2001 Honda Odyssey, Demco Aluminator tow bar & tow plate, SMI Silent Partner brake controller.