cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A/C on 30 AMP Service

ROYBUCK
Explorer
Explorer
I have never tried the A/C on 30 AMP service. I will be in a camp ground in June with just 30 AMP. Can I run just one, I know I will need to cut back on other services, looking for recommendation from some one who has experience this. Thanks Roy
Roy B Coal Miners Son
USMC Ret
Semper Fi
17 REPLIES 17

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
wolfe10 wrote:
I have never seen or heard of a 30 male to 50 female that did not connect the single hot on the 30 amp end to BOTH hots on the 50 amp end.

Normally on those adapters the wires are welded to the pins or slots..However on some of the cheap "Made in china" jobs, the welds are, shall we say "Not Aircraft Quality".

IN fact,,,they are not

And during shipping or handling, the wire can loose contact with the connector..Very bad.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
You'll be fine minus one of your A/C's! Lots of is with larger trailers have 30A service, and we have everything a 50A unit has minus one A/C unit.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
As B. Wolfe said, you need to watch to see that volts do not go too low. Get a plugin, digital voltmeter (i.e. Kill-A-Watt). I keep one plugged in all the time just for the 30 Amp situation. If it gets below 108 volts, you should manually shed something. If it gets to 104 you can start incurring heat damage to some systems, which is not immediately apparent and accumulative. Meaning your A/C could die an early death, though not immediate.

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dutch_12078 wrote:
,,, The only change we make is to only run one A/C at a time, and everything else works normally. We haven't popped the stanchion breaker yet.
I do the same without problems. Camp more on 30 amp than 50.
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Some major warnings there.

I run Reefer on electric (most of the time,,,See notes)
One Air Conditioner

Water heater **OR** microwave but never both

Batteries must be full to do that(If they are low do not use water heater on Electric or microwave.

Several computers and TV or Radio

IN SOME CASES.. I have to cut the fridge over to gas...But that is rare.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
phranc wrote:
If I have good solid 30A and 120V , i can run 2 air conditioners , not any thing else though. YMMV

You are talking about IDEAL conditions (full 120 VAC at full 30 amp load) AND with no amps going to battery charging, lights, TV, etc.

AND I assume you have 13,500 BTU A/C's and that they NEVER both try to start at the same time.

Yes, IDEAL conditions.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

phranc
Explorer
Explorer
If I have good solid 30A and 120V , i can run 2 air conditioners , not any thing else though. YMMV
2008 Diesel Bounder 38V

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
We're on 30 amp service with our 50 amp coach right now. The only change we make is to only run one A/C at a time, and everything else works normally. We haven't popped the stanchion breaker yet.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

ROYBUCK
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks every one for the Info: Roy
Roy B Coal Miners Son
USMC Ret
Semper Fi

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Justremember that there are lots of folks with 30A service running their ACs all the time. Generally, if things are as they should be, and you have 120v on both sides, you should be able to run 2 high wattage devices at the same time. Like 1 AC+1 Microwave. Just don't let DW use a hair dryer at the same time as the other two.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

Billinwoodland
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 50 amp coach with an energy management system. It shows a list of the hierarchy of functions that it will shed if on 30 amp. As others said, move frig to manual mode and put it on LP. For the hot water heater, I only turn my on shortly before I need hot water. As mentioned, I would use the LP instead of the 120.
2008 Monaco Monarch 34 sbd

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes, measure voltage inside the RV with the AC running as many 30A receps are worn out as they tend to be used at near capacity.

I can run both AC's on 30A but I have EMS that manages compressor and fan startups.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
aslakson wrote:
Make sure your 30 to 50 dogbone passes power to BOTH legs of your 50amp feed - many coaches have one AC unit on one leg, and the other on the other. You need to make sure both legs are getting power. I'd test it before you get there to make sure.

al

I have never seen or heard of a 30 male to 50 female that did not connect the single hot on the 30 amp end to BOTH hots on the 50 amp end.

So that will not be a problem. As all have said, you will need to manage your electrical use, but the one roof A/C will be fine.

The only exception is that in some parks with only 30 amp service, the wiring is substandard, so be sure to check voltage (any outlet in the coach will do) when you turn large loads. 108 VAC is absolutely as low as you want to run your A/C.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

camper19709
Explorer
Explorer
refer on gas. water heater on gas. you will be fine with careful use of the microwave. at times I have needed to turn off the A/C to run the microwave. no biggie. you will learn what you can run all at the same time.
Chip
06 SurfSide
30ft class A
2 slides
Ford V10 chassis
04 Chevy Astro van toad