Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

99 newmar mountain aire 4081 prepare for towing

Atee
Explorer
Explorer
Hi.

I am looking to buy a 99 newmar mountain aire 4081 diesel pusher. It's sitting under trees for more than 2 years now. Owner said someone started up the engine about 8 months ago, was running fine but did not accelerate. So they didn't buy it because of the expensive towing to 300 miles away. The whole inside needs to be redone (water damage, holes from tree branches). My plan was to move it to the rv storage next door where I could work on it. Its sitting all the way down on the ground. My question is that how could I inflate the air suspension so it lifts up without the engine running, also release brakes. For towing I need to disconnect the drive shaft Right? The towing guy who i called left saying ill be back when he seen the bus in the bushes. Never came back. That's why I am trying to prepare the bus for towing because it seems like nobody will touch it as it is sitting. I have the spartan manual but it doesn't say anything about it.

Thank you for your help.
33 REPLIES 33

Atee
Explorer
Explorer
We are waiting for the paperwork. In the meantime the rv got stripped. They stole the batteries, some wiring here and there and probably the engine's computer and some other stuff from the compartment next to the battery's. I don't really know what was in there. If anyone has this year of Rv would be awesome if we could compare them to see what's missing. ECU part number maybe ect. I don't worry about the inside Ill refinish it anyway. Looks like the muffler is missing and other piping from the top of the engine from turbo. I am trying to save this RV. If anyone can help me any way, let me know. Thanks
1999 Newmar Mountain aire 4081. Engine Cummins ISC 330 8.3

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Just curious what ever came of this. Did you end up buying it?
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Atee
Explorer
Explorer
The tow guy quoted me $300 to pull it to the storage next door. I guess they charge by the hour.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Atee wrote:
He is asking $3k. But it’s a 330hp Cummins. Engine alone should worth more than that. Has 29,000 miles. I’m a finish carpenter so I can redo the whole inside myself. I just have to get it up and running ?? somehow ??

Thanks for everyone’s help

Well, if it hasn`t been all chewed up by rodents and you can get the suspension aired up and the brakes released then it could be a good deal. How much will the tow set you back?
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

A bad day camping is

Atee
Explorer
Explorer
He is asking $3k. But it’s a 330hp Cummins. Engine alone should worth more than that. Has 29,000 miles. I’m a finish carpenter so I can redo the whole inside myself. I just have to get it up and running ?? somehow ??

Thanks for everyone’s help

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
How much is the owner paying you to take it off his property?

He said he was....looking to buy.....!
Not what he asked, but you can buy one like this in excellent condition for between $20 - 25K.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
Doug, would he be able to get all the parts it's going to need?
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
dodge guy wrote:
Clicky 1

Clicky 2

I hope you are getting this for next to nothing?!

He can sell the mirrors and recoup his costs:R No wonder the first Tow operator walked away. I see no way to get that unit out without damaging the front cap and the rear cap. Doug

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Clicky 1

Clicky 2

I hope you are getting this for next to nothing?!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

A bad day camping is

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
1. Yes, the driveshaft will be disconnected, a qualified heavy Tow operator knows how to do it
2. The Tow Truck will have the necessary air hose and fittings to connect to your RV to air it up and release the brakes, that is why the fitting is in front
3. I doubt any qualified/Insured Tow operator will trust you to make it all ready to tow and you just expect him to just connect the tow truck and haul away. Doug

OLYLEN
Explorer
Explorer
Biggest problem may be getting the brakes to release. I've had to help people who have set still for just a few months and had the shoes lock to the rears to the point even the rocking with a lot of power was questionable as to get the release.

LEN

Atee
Explorer
Explorer
https://www.dropbox.com/s/c1qj6xhxii0vwgk/Screen%20Shot%202018-09-12%20at%206.30.47%20PM.png?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1etvgw0lng1wbz9/IMG_8403.JPG?dl=0

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
Atee wrote:
Hi.

I am looking to buy a 99 newmar mountain aire 4081 diesel pusher. It's sitting under trees for more than 2 years now. Owner said someone started up the engine about 8 months ago, was running fine but did not accelerate. So they didn't buy it because of the expensive towing to 300 miles away. The whole inside needs to be redone (water damage, holes from tree branches). My plan was to move it to the rv storage next door where I could work on it. Its sitting all the way down on the ground. My question is that how could I inflate the air suspension so it lifts up without the engine running, also release brakes. For towing I need to disconnect the drive shaft Right? The towing guy who i called left saying ill be back when he seen the bus in the bushes. Never came back. That's why I am trying to prepare the bus for towing because it seems like nobody will touch it as it is sitting. I have the spartan manual but it doesn't say anything about it.

Thank you for your help.

I cant help much with your new purchase but please post pics, also get a pic of it buried in the ground, makes me sick to see people take expensive toys and just let them rot into the ground..
:C

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Here’s a 2000 in running/camping condition for $14.5.
https://rvs.autotrader.com/rvs/2000/newmar/mountain_aire/300166350
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Rick_Jay
Explorer II
Explorer II
Atee wrote:
...The whole inside needs to be redone (water damage, holes from tree branches)...

Are you sure you know what you're getting yourself into? Is this thing free? Even then, if there's mold or excessive water damage this could be quite an ordeal.

If you've looked at it closely and understand what's involved, that's fine. But in my opinion, any chassis issues are going to be pretty straightforward compared to the possible coach issues.

Good Luck if you decide to go through with this.

~Rick
2005 Georgie Boy Cruise Master 3625 DS on a Workhorse W-22
Rick, Gail, 1 girl (27-Angel since 2008), 1 girl (22), 2 boys (23 & 20).
2001 Honda Odyssey, Demco Aluminator tow bar & tow plate, SMI Silent Partner brake controller.