cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2021 Pleasure-Way Plateau TS, made in Canada

sailusvi
Explorer
Explorer
Looooong time member but we have been out of the RV world for awhile (took up boating).

My wife and I have been doing our homework on the Class B RV, Mercedes Diesel Sprinter chassis. The Airstream is very nice, and expensive. The Pleasure-Way is very nice and not nearly as expensive.

My question does anyone have a P-W unit and are you happy with it?

Thanks!
"..Lead, follow, or get out of the way.."
11 REPLIES 11

mumkin
Explorer
Explorer
It is certainly no secret that the Promaster is a re-badged Fiat Ducato with the Dodge engine/drivetrain replacing the European model. People base their anti-Fiat prejudice on the issues of the imports of a generation ago. The reality is that the Ducato is the number one platform for van campers in Europe. Much of the reason being the lower initial cost, which is why they seem to be taking over the US Class B market right now too.

Are there some issues? Of course... but nowhere near that of the Sprinters especially since they added DEF. And repairs are so much less... and the initial cost is about $10K less.

Transits are so new to the US market that we know little. Thus far the few people (all tradesmen) that I know that have one certainly like them.

No debate that the Sprinter is the best looking van of the bunch, and if you need the higher towing capacity of a diesel, it is the top choice.
Mumkin
2021 Promaster 1500 188wb conversion
2019 Roadtrek Simplicity SRT (half Zion/half Simplicity)
2015 Roadtrek 170
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme

Shearwater
Explorer
Explorer
Well, my first thought is to let you know that the Chrysler body is actually a rebadged Fiat and we all know how good Fiats are. The Ford is actually based on a British design.
Advanced RV Sprinter

sailusvi
Explorer
Explorer
Shearwater wrote:

I would not consider buying anything built on either the Ford or Chrysler body.

With a statement like that I just can’t let it go without you expanding on it….

mumkin
Explorer
Explorer
Mr.Mark wrote:
The Sprinter chassis has a higher towing capacity, 5,000 for the Accent and 4,220 for the Plateau. The Ford chassis is at 2,200 and the Promaster at 2,150.

FYI, on the 2021 Promaster the towing capacity has gone up about 1000 pounds. (before conversion, but would also affect after...) Not sure what they did, and the service people at my dealer didn't know either.
Mumkin
2015 Roadtrek 170
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme

Shearwater
Explorer
Explorer
We have put 150,000 miles on 2 different Sprinters and have had zero problems with either chassis. We have sold both of them (the second because of health problems, alas) for about 40 % of the original purchase price.

I would not consider buying anything built on either the Ford or Chrysler body.
Advanced RV Sprinter

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
I've owned my new 2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL since May 11th.

I'm very pleased with it so far! I only have 950 miles on it and will be going on a longer trip soon.

The quality is outstanding, PW is the only up-fitter that gives a 5yr. house warranty. The fit and finish are top notch. PW puts memory foam in their seating items (sofa, ottomans) that is very comfortable.

The Sprinter chassis has a higher towing capacity, 5,000 for the Accent and 4,220 for the Plateau. The Ford chassis is at 2,200 and the Promaster at 2,150.

I needed the higher towing capacity.

Safe travels,
MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

ernie1
Explorer
Explorer
Sailusvi: I realize I didn't answer your question.I've had two PWs and am mostly happy with them. Keep in mind that most if not all new rvs come with one or a number of problems. Factory support via Phil Nickel is spot on.

sailusvi
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info y’all

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
There are stories of Sprinters where warranty on the engine has been denied because of bad fuel. I would not touch one with a ten foot pole.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

ernie1
Explorer
Explorer
I was on a cross country trip in my then brand new PW XLMB when I got a check engine light while I was in Utah and I live in California. Called 3 Mercedes dealers for service and two told me they don't service Sprinters and the third told me they could give an appointment 3 weeks out. Turns out the check engine light had to do with a Mercedes recall. Oh and there was the $500 front end alignment..........!

mumkin
Explorer
Explorer
From what I read online, the Sprinter gets more complaints than Pleasureway. They have one of the best reputations for quality in the B market. It is still a relatively small family owned business.

You can find lots of owners of old and new PWs over on the owners Facebook page, if you can tolerate that messy format. And keeping in mind that most of the posters will be the ones looking for help with an issue while those with no problems rarely show up.

You might want to consider their new model on the Ford Transit. It is so much easier (and cheaper) to find service on a Ford than a Sprinter.
Mumkin
2015 Roadtrek 170
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme