cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2014 weight loss program for Class C

path1
Explorer
Explorer
The weight of our small class C is 10,380 pounds. If I could get under 10,000 pounds I could re-license to lighter weight and not have to carry chains. The chains are required to be carried for vehicles over 10,000 pounds in my state. Would love to provide lic place with a โ€œcert scale weightโ€ ticket under 10,000 pounds.

Any guesses as to what a spare (16 inch) and 2 batteries would weigh?
The tire chains have never put them on and I donโ€™t have room in wheel well even if I had too. And I bet Iโ€™ve moved them 50 times.

Any guesses?
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"
22 REPLIES 22

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
Jim Shoe wrote:
If you pull a toad behind the 'C'

...then you are required to use chains, including on the toad.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
path1 wrote:
The weight of our small class C is 10,380 pounds. If I could get under 10,000 pounds I could re-license to lighter weight and not have to carry chains. The chains are required to be carried for vehicles over 10,000 pounds in my state. Would love to provide lic place with a โ€œcert scale weightโ€ ticket under 10,000 pounds.

Any guesses as to what a spare (16 inch) and 2 batteries would weigh?
The tire chains have never put them on and I donโ€™t have room in wheel well even if I had too. And I bet Iโ€™ve moved them 50 times.

Any guesses?

:h

I live in Washington, too...while getting under 10,000 lbs. might exempt you from configuration requirements related to vehicles over that weight, it doesn't let you off the hook for compliance with "chains required" rules for all other vehicles.

And even if slightly under that weight, it seems to me that if traveling in such conditions, it would be prudent to use the recommendations in the over-10,000 class just because that's probably the safest alternative.

I guess my point is...what's the point?
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
If you pull a toad behind the 'C', pile as much heavy stuff in it before you go to the scales. Also, water weighs 8 Lbs/Gal. Drain the tanks. 40 gallons gray or fresh weighs 320 lbs. You're almost there.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
Pretty sure they go by GVWR and not actual vehicle weight. And carrying chains still applies where signage exists. Not to mention, I wouldn't travel around the NorthWest without chains on board between Oct and May.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

toolman1
Explorer
Explorer
Heck, if the scales are close enough, remove both the inner wheel/tires, and the chains, and you will surely be well under 10K#...... and I REALLY don't recommend this, but I lost my disclaimer form for you to sign, but it WILL accomplish your goal. Also remember to have all liquid tanks empty.
See ya out there!!
Hooliville member #128

Gary & Lynne.
'04 Dolphin 5320 WH-22 370W Solar
22' Mighty Mover Trailer, 60W. Solar.
Sand Sprite 4. 2.3L EFI sand buggy
'91 Toyota 4X4 longbed Truck
2011 Black Lab "Lucy" for both of us :B

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well my 2 6 volt batteries weigh about 68 Lbs each, I weighed them when I bought some for my golf cart just to see how much they were.

The spare is about 74.5 LBS according to another thread, so that gives you about 161 left to go. Don't have any idea about the Tire chains you have, but the ones that we carried in the trucks when I was working weighed 140 LBS per bag.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Battery....
Group 27---54#
T-105 6V---63#

16" tire & rim......depends (check here for some weights. Different brands & rims.....LINK

Anything you haven't used in months is extra weight. It all adds up quickly.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Take the chains off the RV and you'll probably be under the weight! ๐Ÿ™‚