cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2006 Sprinter transmissions

Shearwater
Explorer
Explorer
I've recently noticed that my 2006 Sprinter (with 110,000 miles) seems to require much higher revs to start up from a stop. I have to admit that this might be just in my imagination, but I would appreciate comments from folks who have had this problem or who know more about Sprinter transmissions than I do.
Advanced RV Sprinter
9 REPLIES 9

topless
Explorer
Explorer
The transmission fluid used in a Sprinter is not regular transmission ATF. It's actually a light weight synthetic gear lube. Do not put anything in that transmission accept that fluid, additives for ATF may not be compatible and cause very expense damage to internal parts.
There is a huge difference in load capacity between ATF and a gear lube.

Fastpaddler
Explorer
Explorer
My old txn test was to starts vehicle, put the handbrake on, hold foot on brake, put txn in gear and rev it hard, If the engine stalls the txn is not slipping If it slips you will notice the revs going up as the txn slips.
Don't know if that is helpful.

mkguitar
Explorer
Explorer
2.) check with a dealer as to whether the torque converter is a "switch-pitch" design.

I was mulling this over today as I drove across the desert from LA, and realized I had omitted this.

Cadillac introduced a switch pitch torque converter for the 1966 model year ( I've had 3 of these) in which the vanes in the converter change position depending on rpm and load- can lead to a feeling of "spooling up".

If MB is using a similar design it can feel/sound like slipping when it is just reacting normally to load.
balancing power with economy

Mike

BillJ999
Explorer
Explorer
When I first got my Chevy I thought the transmission was slipping when cold. By checking the RPM I saw that they were a lot lower than I thought. It turned out that the fan clutch was engaged for the first few seconds after starting the engine and the noise of the fan gave me the impression than the engine was revving way higher than it actually was. I finally found the explanation in the user manual that this was normal.
I know that Sprinters (some at least) have a viscous fan clutch. Are the RPMs really as high as they sound, or could it just be noisier than usual? Do you have an RPM meter to check?
William

gonetothedogs1
Explorer
Explorer
As a side note, my 2006 Sprinter transmission was making a 'rumble strip' noise when I would slow down and the transmission would shift to lower gears. Had the transmission serviced with new fluid (about 78k miles) and the shifting now is much smoother and quieter.

Shearwater
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the suggestions.
Advanced RV Sprinter

booster
Explorer
Explorer
Higher rpm to get moving is usually related to the torque converter "flash" point, which is basically how high the rpme will go with the accelerator pushed down and the brake on. If you are getting higher rpm at your starts there could be non transmission issues contributing, like higher weight, low tire pressures, dragging brakes. In the tranny, possible low fluid or plugged filter, etc.

MB transmissions are really spendy, so I wouldn't put anything in it but fluid (which you can't even check without a special tool) unless it is a last resort. I would get it in to a reputable tranny shop, or maybe the dealer to be checked out. It could need minor servicing or repair, but if you let it go, it will get worse. Any slippage generates heat, and heat destroys transmissions.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I,ve not had any trouble but mine only has 35k on it. if you think things have changed your most likly right, I,d a really good tranny shop and have it checked.p.s I,m in canton ohio and I don,t no of a tranny shop. BUT if you find one I,d like there name in case I ever need one.might do a google search ,or check with the sprinter club.

mkguitar
Explorer
Explorer
Fluid level?

Has the tranny been serviced ever? fluid and filters?

The fluid breaks down with subjection to heat, and may be corrupted by water ( condensation- short starts) and by clutch materials

what harms trannys is the seals becoming inflexible and fluid not being directed in the correct direction at the correct pressure.

a stop-gap is the tranny additives you'll find at the auto parts store- most of these have a chemical which will soften hard seals and temporarily provide better sealing through the tranny.

if this works, then you know that the tranny will need a rebuild sometime soon.

so you could try a $10 bottle of goop, if it has an effect, then you know that it isn;t in your head and action will be required at some point...
and you have the luxury to pick the time and place of repair, rather than 1/2 way to somewhere else.

Mike