Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2006 American Tradition advice?

Ro646a
Explorer
Explorer
We are looking at a beautiful
2006 American Tradition with 100,000 miles.
The coach is well maintained
and beautiful with new tires and batteries. It has a 400 hp Cat engine.
Can anyone offer any pros or cons regarding this model, and is the mileage a concern?

Thanks
Roland
1999 American Dream 40 DVS
2011 Jeep Liberty
Roadmaster Sterling Towbar
Brake Buddy
10 REPLIES 10

Bruce_Brown
Check for the usuals; delamination and checking fiberglass.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

Ro646a
Explorer
Explorer
Thank for all if the input regarding the American Tradition. If I go ahead with the purchase I'll update.
Roland
Roland
1999 American Dream 40 DVS
2011 Jeep Liberty
Roadmaster Sterling Towbar
Brake Buddy

timjet
Explorer
Explorer
We've had our '07 40Z Tradition for a year and put 10,000 miles on it. I attended the Spartan week long class and brought the chassis up to snuff for $4000.

If the chassis and drive train are in good shape the problems we've had are mostly house related. On an older coach that is to be expected. He's what I've had to deal with in the 1st year.

Dash air - replaced compressor and dryer
Roof AC - replaced both AC capacitors and fwd AC fan
Aft furnace - replaced the power circuit board
Brake lights - replaced the bulbs, they were a pain to get to.
Steps - just broke and am in the process of diagnosing it.
Refrigerator - defrost heating element broke
Batteries - replaced due to age
Windshield washer motor replaced
Air dryers assembly replaced due to leak - by Spartan

I'm able to do most of the work so the cost was not so high, I probably would not own such a complex vehicle if I couldn't do this stuff.
Tampa Bay
'07 American Tradition Cummins ISL
'14 Honda CRV

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
Ro646a wrote:
Can anyone offer any pros or cons regarding this model, and is the mileage a concern?

Thanks

Should be a great coach for you and especially with the older CAT and before the last emission band-aide was put on before CAT got out of the, over-highway business.
As always, it's all about the money, which you haven't mentioned. Just saying that there all a lot of them around.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

RaenMark
Explorer
Explorer
We had a 99 American Tradition. Very well made unit. As was said earlier, as long as the maintenance was done you should be good.
Rae & Mark
Bountiful, UT
2005 Alfa See Ya 40
Finally found a rig I can stand up in!

JR45
Explorer
Explorer
Ro646a wrote:

Thanks

As already said nothing wrong with the Cat C-9. The big thing is to change the oil at 5 to 6000mi and fuel filters every other change because of the HEUI pump. Use only Cat Advanced High Efficiency Engine Oil Filters 1R 1808 and fuel filter Cat 1R-0749 Fuel Filter.
JR45
2006 Country Coach Inspire 360 40ft Genoa Designer Series Cat C9 Samsung 197 RR
Aluminum Radiator was recently replaced with a STEEL & COPPER Bolt Together Radiator w/ updated rubber mountings
SilverLeaf VMS 330
Toad--2011 Ford Edge Sport, Air Force One
:C

johnsonbert
Explorer
Explorer
Our 03 Tradition was a good coach. Help from the American Coach Tech line was super. Ours had a 350 Cummins. One thing I would verify with Spartan Chassis is that this model has the restyled front ball joints if it has the independent front suspension. They had trouble from 00 or 01 up through maybe 05 or so with ball joints wearing prematurely and they are non-greasable, and the only place to get fixed was a Spartan Dealer, and pricey. Otherwise, it was a great coach. The side radiator made it nice to work on, and everything was American Coach quality. Hope this may help. Happy Trails, Bert
2006 Monaco Dynasty Diamond IV 42' Tag, ISL 400,(new to us), Residential Refrig, 10KW Onan, Bosch Washer/220V Dryer (previously 2003 American Tradition 40W) 2010 Chev Malibu LT

supercub
Explorer
Explorer
The American Line of motor homes are very good units. As long as you like it and it's in good condition................and the price is right, I'm sure it will be a good coach for you. Make sure you like the floor plan. Assure that it's had proper mainteance too. The mileage shouldn't be an issue. Diesels are designed to run 500,00 plus miles .

Blaster_Man
Explorer
Explorer
The Tradition is a fine coach with excellent support from the AC tech line. As noted, 100k is nothing if the Cat got service regularly.
2014 American Eagle

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
The mileage should not be a concern as long as the owner has good service records. That's 12 years of driving or about 8400 miles per year. That's about right if not even slightly less than the average 10,000 miles per year.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?