cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2004 R-vision P30 chassis brake issues.

Class_A_DP_1
Explorer
Explorer
My R-Vision is on the 2004 Workhorse P30 chasis. Over the last couple years I’ve noticed the that only during or for a while after a steep mountain descent (I do not ride the brake, I brake a bit, cool, brake a bit, cool, etc) that the brake pedal will get really stiff with barely any travel at all. Once things cool down it then seems overly spongey for a while. Then returns to normal after it sits a day.

Calipers? Hoses? Boiling fluid? I’m always as easy as I can be on it but I don’t like brakes acting up.
Prevost XL40 Country Coach Conversion
5 REPLIES 5

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
It takes almost three quarts of brake fluid to completely flush the entire system on a P30 chassis. In addition it is a good idea to use disc brake rated grease on all sliding parts to make sure that they retract properly and do not drag and create more heat.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Not clear on this-- did you bleed the brake fluid at the wheels until the old fluid was replaced with the new, clear fluid.

That is critical, as it at the wheels (calipers or wheel cylinders) that see the highest temperatures, so that is where fluid boiling occurs.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

Class_A_DP_1
Explorer
Explorer
Appreciate the advice.

I checked my reservoir and was surprised to find one clip of the cover popped up, and fluid down by about half a reservoir. I am assuming I did in fact get things too hot, boiled and pushed the fluid up.

I bulbed the rest of fluid out of ressy and cleaned it and refilled with new dot3 just for now. I am planning to check and probably replace linings soon. This motorhome did get a new naster cylinder about 40,000 miles back. I recall it had a pedal to the floor experience then necessitating the replacement. Ill keep close check on it.
Prevost XL40 Country Coach Conversion

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
My brakes did that after I let them get over heated on a steep hill. Completely lost brakes. I had that other symptom of them being 'stiff' too a couple times. After the worst abuse I'd put them through (downhill at Death Valley) and they cooled off enough, they seemed to go back to normal for a while. For a couple years they were fine, because I changed how I operated the brakes when heading downhill.

My master cylinder failed like a year afterwards. Pedal going all the way to the floor. Not sure which occurred first or if one precipitated the other or not.

That loss of brakes going down that steep hill in Death Valley taught me to downshift the tranni and not to use the brakes, unless I had to, and only for short periods. That method worked great for the 12 years I owned the rig. But as I said, I did replace the MC a year after the Death Valley incident.

I didn't grow up in a truck driving family so I didn't know I was suppose to be downshifting instead of braking. I got pretty good at it after a year or so of practice.
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
How old is the brake fluid?

Should be changed every 2-3 years since you are in a humid area.

Could it be something else-- sure. But start with the routine PM.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/