cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1999 Freightliner chassis and Cat 330hp 7.2 ??

Star_Gazer
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All,

I am going to look at a 1999 Airstream 35' Cutter. Cat 330 hp 7.2 with 30k miles, Freightliner chassis, single slide, Mich tires new in first of 2010. Looks in very good shape, asking price is $35k. This is low retail book.

Anyone have any experience with this coach or chassis? Price sound right?

Thanks,
Dean
2008 Phaeton 36QSH
2015 Ford Transit 250
2006 17' Casita FD (mobile observatory)
13 REPLIES 13

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, the one piece manifolds, whether on Caterpillar or Cummins are susceptible to manifold cracking and/or gasket leaking. Not a high failure rate item, but it can happen. If just warped they can easily be resurfaced-- should cost around $25.

There is a current thread on another forum where a number of Cummins C engines exhaust manifolds shrunk-- identifiable by bending of the forward most and rear most bolts. Replacement is the only solution if this happens.

Some engines have an upgraded three piece exhaust manifold that significantly improves exhaust manifold life.

BTW, same thing on larger gas engines-- 460 is a poster child for exhaust manifold problems.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

Valkyriebush
Explorer
Explorer
wolfe10 wrote:
Freightliner has a good PM chart with detail. Additionally, there IS a grease zirk on the fan hub on the motor. Access if from ABOVE-- the bedroom or closet.

Excellent point! While having a 21 point chassis service and inspection done by Rush Trucks in Yuma last week, I always remind them of this zerk. Make sure they do this. I had an exhaust manifold leak discovered this time, the tech could see the gasket material pushed out while accessing the head from the closet floor, could have been missed otherwise? I had no signs or warning of a problem yet. Repaired with no other issues. Could have been worse. There goes my bullet proof engine. (3126E) Still happy though.
Command Master Chief (AW) USN, (ret)
2003 Fleetwood Excursion 330 Turbo Cat 39D
2000 Jeep GC
2005 Big Ruckus (Rides Behind Jeep)
2003 VTX 1800

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Freightliner has a good PM chart with detail. Additionally, there IS a grease zirk on the fan hub on the motor. Access if from ABOVE-- the bedroom or closet.
Brett Wolfe

teleman2
Explorer
Explorer
just wondering what is done when the chasis is serviced

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Actually the Caterpillar 3126 was offered in both shallow and deep pan. To my knowledge, the vast majority (and all Freightliners) have the shallow pan.

Shallow pan is easy to distinguish-- it is smooth stamped steel. The deep pan is ribbed aluminum. Most shallow pan 3126's have 19 quart capacity, deep pans 29 quarts.

If any question, call Caterpillar RV Hotline with the engine serial number:

877 777-3126.
Brett Wolfe

ole_trucker
Explorer
Explorer
FL uses Neway in the rear, they do not have a propriety rear chassis! my Endeavor (2000), had that suspension and it was fine, there may be better, but only w/a tag JMO

Valkyriebush
Explorer
Explorer
RayChez wrote:
I disagree with Don's assessment of the ride. The Freightliner has for big air ride bags just like the Country coach would have. I have the Neway Freightliner and it is very smooth ride.

But if there is any doubt and maybe he did have too much air in the tires or something else wrong, take it out for a twenty miles test drive. That way you find out for yourself how it handles and how the ride is.

One thing I will say about the Cat 3126 B is that it has a dip pan and holds more oil then the shallow pan that is on the 3126-E holding exactly 19 quarts of oil. You add any more oil and it will just throw it out through the breather tube. Not the case if you just add the 19 quarts. Cat engine is bullet proof.

X-2
Command Master Chief (AW) USN, (ret)
2003 Fleetwood Excursion 330 Turbo Cat 39D
2000 Jeep GC
2005 Big Ruckus (Rides Behind Jeep)
2003 VTX 1800

RayChez
Explorer
Explorer
I disagree with Don's assessment of the ride. The Freightliner has four big air ride bags just like the Country coach would have. I have the Neway Freightliner and it is very smooth ride.

But if there is any doubt and maybe he did have too much air in the tires or something else wrong, take it out for a twenty miles test drive. That way you find out for yourself how it handles and how the ride is.

One thing I will say about the Cat 3126 B is that it has a deep pan and holds more oil then the shallow pan that is on the 3126-E holding exactly 19 quarts of oil. You add any more oil and it will just throw it out through the breather tube. Not the case if you just add the 19 quarts. Cat engine is bullet proof.
2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser
330 HP Caterpillar 3126-E
3000 Allison Transmission
Neway Freightliner chassis
2017 Buick Envision

dons2346
Explorer
Explorer
Star Gazer wrote:
Thanks Don, that is good information. I do normally drive 10+ hours a day.

Do you have a link to the CC you mention? dean at cwdi dot com

Thanks

I don't have a link to the CC as it is private party in AZ but I will PM you the info.

msmith1199
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2004 National Tropical with that combination and my experience is nothing like Don's. I wish I got his 11-12 MPG, but I get 7 to 8 depending on if I have the toad or not. But mine rides like a dream. I've done as many as 700 miles in a day and it did just fine.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

Star_Gazer
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Don, that is good information. I do normally drive 10+ hours a day.

Do you have a link to the CC you mention? dean at cwdi dot com

Thanks
2008 Phaeton 36QSH
2015 Ford Transit 250
2006 17' Casita FD (mobile observatory)

dons2346
Explorer
Explorer
I had that chassis in a 36 foot '99 National Tradewinds. It got 11-12 MPG, power to weight ratio was good but the thing would beat you to death plus it was hard to keep on the road. 300 miles a day and I was whipped. I had it to Freightliner a number of times but nothing changed. I had no problems with the 3126B motor.

I think you could find a better coach for that money. I know of a 2000 36 foot Country Coach Intrigue for the same price but more mileage.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Solid chassis and drivetrain (assuming it has been maintained).
Brett Wolfe