cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1998 8.3 diesel water temp

mccoydetlef
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 1998 american tradition 8.3 just recently temp gauge went to 250 and back to 180 then again and again while doing 65mph for about a hour. Got home ck it fan working fine water levels ok. Went back out in about a week then jumped to 250 back to 280 what gives resovior up to top when stopped let it sit back to normal temp sending unit or thermostat
1998 BETTY BOOP AMERICAN TRADITION
7 REPLIES 7

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
I had the same thing happen to me two weeks ago, pulled over radiator was not boiled over took temp readings with my IR gun heads were 157 thermostat housing was 190 not 280. Removed connection to temp probe in head, reinstalled it off and on several times to remove any corrosion still read 280 and occasionally drop back to 190. Drove to the CG shut engine off but temp gauge still read 280. Several hrs later once engine cooled turned key on and temp still read in red zone. Next morning all was well again drove home and it read fine. My probe was a single wire probe so I figured the ground was through the treads so I tightened it slightly and it worked fine on last weeks trip. You can check the ground with a multi meter set to ohms from the sensor to the engine block for continuity and clean the wire connection first to see if that fixes your problem.

MrWizard
I had something similar in symptoms in 2012
But much worse results (cumins 6tb 5.6L )
The plastic expansion tank cracked and leaked
It was over heating from coolant loss,
The temp would go up, then coolant system pressure would release at the cap, temp would drop, then immediately start climbing
I ended up broke down, was towed too Flagstaff, and spent thousands of $$ in engine repairs, plus motel expenses for a ten day stay
Be careful, check everything
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Could be either stuck thermostat OR bad sender unit/gauge.

Particularly if the indicated temperature changes rapidly under steady-state driving conditions, likely a sender unit/gauge. If so, start by verifying that the connection at the engine is clean and tight.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
I'm not familiar with that coach and engine, but if it was a regular truck I'd say your cooling system thermostat is sticking.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

mccoydetlef
Explorer
Explorer
yes it seems simple but have to make sure also does it have a idiot light

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have a 1998 Monaco with the same engine that did the same thing on the way to Baltimore. I pulled over and checked the water and could also see that it was not overheated I drove on checking it a couple of more times. Short solution was that either the sending unit or the gauge had failed. Replaced the sending unit and no change. My solution was to have the shop get a new gauge, sending unit, and run new wiring from the front to the back. Never another problem and even towing a heavy car trailer over Fancy Gap it never passed 190 degrees. Normally without the trailer it stays around 170. Hope this helps.

mccoydetlef
Explorer
Explorer
ok