cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

1993 Bounder with broken axle twice in 2000 miles

dana32159
Explorer
Explorer
Had driver's side rear axle replaced in November, now driving it for the first time broke again! Coincidence? Or just bad luck? Anyone else with rear axle problems when towing a vehicle?
15 REPLIES 15

BennieH
Explorer
Explorer
77rollalong wrote:
what Jack a$$ would weld an axle shaft? would be the last time i would be going back there...

This!
Take the first guy to small claims. What he did was inexcusable! I would have everything checked inside as well. If the axle wasn't straight after welded, ther will be other damage.
Bob & Pam
2003 Monaco Camelot 40PBDD
Ford Edge or Chevy Silverado toad.

Post your Park Reviews at:
http://www.rvparkreviews.com/

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
dana32159 wrote:
The original mechanic had to replace the entire hub and part of the axle housing when he installed the welded axle back in November.

Can't help but feel like I should go after the first mechanic for installing an axle that he knew might not hold with a weld which really put our lives in danger.
As much as I think the original repair was poorly done and causing continued problems I would not waste my time going back.

I hope the current shop is good and sets you on the right path. I hope it is a real heavy line transmission/axle shop that knows how to set the gears, pinion seal etc. If they are good I would be tempted to rebuild the entire axle assembly.

77rollalong
Explorer
Explorer
what Jack a$$ would weld an axle shaft? would be the last time i would be going back there...

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
Have the fluid changed if they didn't do that with the latest axle replacement. Some welding slag would be bad for bearings, gears and seals. Not saying for sure that's happened, but from your description of the weld it seems possible they didn't clean it up...
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

dana32159
Explorer
Explorer
I had the rig towed to a mechanic who told me that the axle broke in the same place as it did in November. The axle, which I thought had been repaired with a replacement axle in November by the first mechanic, was instead welded. So it was a miracle that the weld held for several hundred miles, as I looked at it and saw that it wasn't even a good weld as it didn't appear to have penetrated on 1/2 the axle.

The second mechanic fortunately had a used axle that he replaced and today as I was driving it back home, I noticed that fluid was leaking from the differential. When I called the second mechanic, he said he thought it might be the pinion seal and he never touched that in his axle replacement. So now I've left it at another mechanic and explained the problem to him. Any suggestions as to why there is leakage? The original mechanic had to replace the entire hub and part of the axle housing when he installed the welded axle back in November.

Can't help but feel like I should go after the first mechanic for installing an axle that he knew might not hold with a weld which really put our lives in danger.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Even a 25 year old coach shouldnโ€™t be breaking axels. Find another repair shop.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

dana32159
Explorer
Explorer
I don't have any answers until it is towed to get repaired tomorrow. The previous replacement axle was a new axle for a Chevy truck installed in November. I don't know if that's the one that broke or if it's on the other side.

garry1p
Explorer
Explorer
Not enough info to even think about it!
Garry1p

1990 Holiday Rambler Aluma Lite XL
454 on P-30 Chassis
1999 Jeep Cherokee sport

77rollalong
Explorer
Explorer
if its breaking the half shaft, i would be checking the axle housing to make sure its not bent, as that would cause strain on the half shaft, and there is no weight on the half shaft only the torque, or the half shaft is over hardened, maybe have them try reversing the half shafts, and see if it breaks the same side again, if so then the axle is bent..

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Something is very wrong.
First thing I would check is to make sure the housing isn't bent.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes seems odd. Was the replacement a used axle? Where did the break in the steel actually happen? Same place both times?

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
Diesel or gas? Ford or Chevy? Where is the axle breaking. We all know full floating axles don't carry any weight so it must be a twisting or bending force that's breaking the axle. Could it be the hub bearings are loose, allowing the hub to move? Or it might be a bent housing or spider gears not turning.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

allbrandauto
Explorer
Explorer
when installing the axle does it go in freely or do you have to beat in if you have to beat it in may be the diff. housing is bent

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
Is the diff working? Does it r resist turning and do you get tire scrubbing in corners ?
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...