cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1984 Revcon!!!!! Garbage or decent?

Shutterj
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all! I am trying to gauge the value of a 1984 revcon, it’s a RV I may soon purchase.. it’s been sitting for 5 years and not body has touched it. It’s been in an covered storage so it appears to be in great body shape, however I don’t know the mechanics. I am being offered this RV at a price of around 1900.. there just is not much out there in way of information on these and I understand due to the years it’s been sitting it can be very costly to get back to running condition..

What do y’all think?
16 REPLIES 16

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Shutterj wrote:
Thank you all for the responses.. I have tried to upload some pics but I can’t seem to figure it out from my phone.. it asks for a url and it’s not working.. I’m thinking I can get it under $1500.. it has not been opened in 5 years for the previous tenants passed away and it’s been under an awning since. I was thinking of buying it, getting her running and using it for the summer than selling it for a little profit.. that’s my plan anyway. Never invested in an RV and like boats I know they can be holes on the road which money gets thrown. Being so well built and having the roots from airstream I think it would be a solid investment

An RV is not an investment in the financial sense. You will almost certainly not be able to make a profit selling this RV for more than you pay for it plus have to put in to get it in reasonable operating condition...that's true even if there's nothing at all basically wrong with it other than having sat covered for five years.

For instance, you most likely need all new tires for safety's sake, due to their age, and probably brake work due to things sitting and corroding, and batteries and maybe some hoses and belts...and these things add up pretty quickly.

If you want something to use and you like the unit generally, it might be possible to get a reliable enough and usable enough motorhome for not too much money with some work and luck. It may also be a complete money pit; there's not enough information here to tell. However, treating it as a financial investment is absolute foolishness.

Shutterj
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for the responses.. I have tried to upload some pics but I can’t seem to figure it out from my phone.. it asks for a url and it’s not working.. I’m thinking I can get it under $1500.. it has not been opened in 5 years for the previous tenants passed away and it’s been under an awning since. I was thinking of buying it, getting her running and using it for the summer than selling it for a little profit.. that’s my plan anyway. Never invested in an RV and like boats I know they can be holes on the road which money gets thrown. Being so well built and having the roots from airstream I think it would be a solid investment

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Revcon of that period were no part GMC. As you can see from the one picture, the took just the front drive part of a 4x4 and used that for the powerplant. As such, those parts should be available, but that could be a small part of the overall issue. Anything that old will need a lot of attention to make and keep it reliable enough to travel.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

Gundog
Explorer
Explorer
There is one of these about a mile from my house. I think like most of these older RV's they don't have much if any value. Around here many old units get abandoned and the homeless move into them.They are expensive to get rid of not your particular model but older RV's in general it is a real problem around here.
2005 34' Expedition Cat C7 Allison 3000

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
TY for posting for sale site DFord. I enjoyed seeing that unit. Interesting styling.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I like how DFrod put it "What's it worth to you?"
That's the amount to pay or walk away.

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Do you want a hobby or an RV?

Do you love rebuilding old things you can’t buy parts for anymore?

Not much storage, small bathroom/shower. Maybe wet shower.

They have a cult like following but I don’t want to spend that much time working on the RV.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

DFord
Explorer
Explorer

Nice website about Revcons. Most of the support sites mentioned there no longer exist. There may be an FMCA group you could get help from.

https://myrevcon.webs.com/
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
BY FAR, the most critical question is do you have both the mechanical skill and interest in restoring and maintaining a 36 year old vehicle?

Whether the price is $1 or $1,900 is pretty much immaterial.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
1984 Revcon King RV for Sale
https://www.nicetoownrv.com/2015/09/1984-revcon-king-rv-for-sale.html

Instead of asking if the price is worth it to us, ask yourself if it's worth it to you. From the pictures in the for sale listing, they look nice and as I recall, they were a high end MH for their time. The only thing that would be make or break for me would be the integrity of the frame. Make sure there's no rot from water leaks. If it's sound, it would make a nice project. Not sure how much to want to remodel inside and what your skill level is. If you good ahead with it, good luck and happy travels. Your question can only be answered by you.

1984 Revcon Prince 310 Motorhome Exhibit "A"
http://www.viewrvs.com/motorhome/revcon/1984/1984-revcon-prince-310-a.php

Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
A lot of them had s Oldsmobile 455 w/front wheel drive.
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

Tyler0215
Explorer
Explorer
I've always thought that Revcon was an interesting looking MH. It will take lots of time and money to restores it for use. If you are handy and enjoy working on things, go for it. You will touch everything, top to bottom, front to back at least once. You will never get your money back, but you w\ill have a unique MH.

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
I like the looks of the Revcon---- I assume it's a 454 Chevy, so parts are readily available at any local auto parts store. You'll need tires and should go thru the brake system.
Not familiar with the drive train on those. earlier models used teh Toronado front wheel drive setup. I have owned several tornados and they are very reliable. After GM quit building them, I think Revcon went to an inhouse drive train. Probably you should look for a Revcon group on facebook....
Check the house very closely for any water leaks. Look around the windows, any roof penetrations,etc. If it has/had leaks, I'd walk away, tither wise, you might have a fun project in front of you. BTW, the first motorhome I bought was an old 1978 with a 454, we drove that thing all over the country and had a blast.
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I believe the Revcon is basically a GMC Motorhome. Mechanical parts should not be a problem.

Maybe you can have a mobile RV Tech and/or mechanic look at the unit before you make an offer. That could give you some idea of the repairs and replacements you will need.
Will you have to have it towed away if you buy it and do you have somewhere to keep it while you work on the restoration?
If you're paying someone to do everything the cost will be excessive and probably not worth it.

It's definitely going to need new tires. Most RV tires age out before they wear out.
If it's in good condition, I don't think $1900 is an excessive price. But, you can always offer less.
It's no different than buying a classic car to restore.
Take a good look before you decide. You will be spending money to get it up and running. Make sure everything like battery cables, etc. are still installed.
I think they are neat rigs and worth restoring.

Let us know what you decide.