cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

cell phones in Mexico

Wm_Elliot
Explorer
Explorer
Will a CDMA phone work in Mexico or is all coverage GSM? Ideally I'd like a dual SIM phone - but do I need a global phone?

Many thanks in advance!
16 REPLIES 16

Ronjoez
Explorer
Explorer
Been a hectic week, put my place up for sale and it in sold in 4 days. I found out today I have a T Mobile phone and it is on the Unepon network. I went to a store in Ajijic and bought a used cell phone, thought it was new. They saw me walking in the door. This store is known for dealing in stolen phones and ripping off gringos, found that out after I bought the phone. I added $50 today without a problem. I have to return to Tucson tomorrow to apply for my Temporal visa to avoid paying over $12,000 penalty as I am here on a tourist visa. I knew that but forgot about it. Ron

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
Here is a link to the Telcel monthly plans. There is a 599 peso plan but no
unlimited internet. Still a good deal.

https://www.telcel.com/personas/telefonia/planes-de-renta/tarifas-y-opciones/telcel-max-sin-limite

Moisheh

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
Ron: Do you have a residente temporal entry permit? Usually Telcel will not give you a monthly plan if all you have is a tourist permit. Most of those plans are for a 2 year term. I watch the ads this tine of year as they often give some double data for a few months. However Tecel does not have any unlimited Internet plans, especially for 600 pesos a month. There are plans with unlimited messaging and unlimited phone calls. Usually unlimited facebook Twitter and Whatsap. Data is for a set amount of MB. Is your plan called Amigo? These are a prepay plan. Can you give me the details on this plan? Thanks

Moisheh

Ronjoez
Explorer
Explorer
I arrived in Chapala on Sunday, on Tuesday I bought a Samsung Smart phone for $3800 pesos and a monthly plan for $600 pesos with unlimited internet and phone calls. I use the Hotspot app to connect to the internet with my laptop, yesterday read the news from my phone while in a restaurant. I go to the San Francisco Telcel store in Ajijic as they speak English and are helpful every time I go. I have never wanted a Smart phone, have 2 flip phones, but Sandra talked me into buying the Samsung. My initial outlay was a bit more than I wanted to pay but with the monthly plan I am saving and don't have to watch my usage. I used to buy a Telcel USB drive for internet service and it was $400 for 4G, which lasted about 2 ยฝ to 3 weeks. I would buy a new SIMS card and add $500 to my flip phone on the pay as you go plan. Another reason I bought it as sooner or later I would have had to buy one, all my friends in the US ridicule me for having a flip phone. I have the Verizon pay as you go plan and spend around $120 yearly and had it for years. I use Google Voice to make many of my phone calls and use the internet at Starbucks, etc or libraries. I can use the Samsung in the US when I return but will be paying a lot more for monthly service. It is nice to get up in the morning and read the news with my morning coffee. The past year I find I am wanting more conveniences, been boondocking for 15 years now and itโ€™s becoming a problem to get out and do things like I used to. I prefer staying โ€˜homeโ€™ instead of being out and about. I had to buy a Honda scooter while in South Dakota this past summer, I can't lift my leg to get on my bike and after falling over the 3rd time trying to get off I had to give it up. Now I just step on and off the scooter. I wanted to bring it to Mexico but the hassle of it, and, riding on cobblestone streets was too much. I stored it in Tucson and will pick it up when I return. Ron

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
We have ATT cell phone with a 619 area code no and we use it all over Mexico at the same price rate as the USA, no difference we also have WiFi and use a booster when the tower signal is weak in some towns, we also have the lap tops on ATT so yes you can use ATT in Mexico, I believe that we have a Mexico plan but I am not sure, wife likes to do all that I am not that patient with computers or talking to someone to solve a glitch in the phone or computer program or bank for that matter, so far so good, I have el cheepo Mex phone for calling home to find out what else is needed from the grocery store.

navegator

MikeJinCO
Explorer
Explorer
If looked at the ATT map and it looks pretty good. We will go to the local ATT shop in a couple of days and look into the plan as you don't want to make a change before your billing date or you get socked. As of now it looks pretty good. But, can one believe them-that is always the question.

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
If your phone works as a hotspot in CO it will also work as a hotspot in Mexico. BUT the question is: Will you get a signal in Mexico. I do not think ATT has great coverage. I am assuming that a US ATT will run on Mexican ATT towers Did ATT tell you what they will charge to use your phone in Mexico. Do not be one of those persons who thought it was free and when they returned had a thousand dollar phone bill. It will depend on your plan. No one has the coverage of Telcel. However QTLA has Telcel and Movistar and the says they are both good. Telcel is owned by Carlos Slim. He was the wealthiest man in the world a few times! If ATT is not right for you read my post about a Mexican phone. Internet sticks are old technology and I don't know if the cost per MB is very good. A Telcel phone with 800 mb. for 17 days is only $5.00 for the data. I cannot believe I am promoting Telcel. They are part of Telmex that is hated by Mexicans like US citizens used to hate ATT. Or Canadians and Bell!!

Moisheh

MikeJinCO
Explorer
Explorer
ATT says that our phone will work in Mexico. Can anyone confirm that?

If so, can a smartphone be used as a hotspot or are the sticks required?

Can the internet sticks work on Apple computers? In past years they didn't work on Mac's very well if at all.

Wm_Elliot
Explorer
Explorer
Thank-you Moisheh,

I will check into that very helpful suggestion.

Bill

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
The problem is signal. So we each have different carriers, Movistar and Telcel. Also, our internet sticks are from both carriers increasing the chances of getting signal.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
Depending on your phone skills I would recommend buying a telcel Amiga smart phone. Cost is under $100. The Amiga Sin Limite plan is great. For 100 pesos you will get 17 days of calls and texts to Mexico,USA and Canada. UNLIMITED!!! You will also get 800mb. of Data. Handy when you need to Google something. Facebook and Twitter are unlimited. The phone can be recharged with time at any Oxxo or a super. If you buy the phone in a tourist or border area there will be someone that speaks English. He can set up the phone to display English. Dumb phones are even cheaper to buy but you pay by the minute. You can also use the Amiga plan to call Mexico from the USA and Canada. UNLIMITED. So for $10.00 US your phone is good for 34 days. Try that in the USA! If you bring a USA phone it has to be unlocked. I just carry 2 phones. I have had mine for almost 2 years. I will probably get a nicer phone sometime this year. Mine is a Lanix. Battery life could be better. For about $150 to $200 US there are some nicer units. I use Google maps a lot! 3G is everywhere and now they even have an enhanced 4G in major cities.

Moisheh

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Here is a link to an expandable map that slows TelCel coverage for the entire country. Cobertura 3G shows green where 3G is available and yellow for only 2G service.

https://www.telcel.com/mundo_telcel/quienes-somos/corporativo/mapas-cobertura

Talleyho69
Pick up a cheapie phone in the US or Canada. As long as you have a phone with a SIM card, you will be fine.