cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Wi-Fi Boosters

spuyear
Explorer
Explorer
I read an article a month or so ago about a device that boosts Wi-Fi signals by pulling in multiple Wi-Fi signals and combining those into one stronger signal. I can't recall the name.

Anyone use such a device? If so, are you satisfied with it?
16 REPLIES 16

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's also not theft of services since the person broadcasting the open signal is paying for the services used. If the utility was able to prosecute anyone, it would be the person paying for the service illegally sharing it with others.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

paddywanpeep
Explorer
Explorer
Lol in many states that's a felony by the way, theft or mis appropriation of telecommunications service.

Wifi is not considered a public domain broadcast, password or not

Nobody cares. If its open it will get used.

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
photobug wrote:
Sometimes it just takes getting the antenna up and away from the ground clutter.

Getting up above the rooftop A/C can yield big improvements, for sure ๐Ÿ˜‰

photobug
Explorer
Explorer

Inside with router and transmitter

exterior antenna attached to crank up tv antenna.

Several years ago we were staying at an rv park in southern california, Wifi worked just fine until some dude with a big class A parked right next to us, blocking line of site to the transmitter. This way the receiving antenna is 15' off the ground then re-transmitted into coach. Sometimes it just takes getting the antenna up and away from the ground clutter. If need be, I can swap out the omni directional mast for a directional antenna if need be.
1998 Class C Lazy Daze 26 1/2 island bed
banks intake/exhaust
wifi/4g/siriusXM/DTV/DirecTV/CB
2xGeorbital electric bike conversions

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
gutfelt wrote:
Itinerant1 wrote:
These boosters are ok if you're in an rv park and using their wifi or you have a booster for your own wifi. If your using someone else wifi with out their permission it's stealing and justifying it with they should secure it (which they should) doesn't make it right. Food for thought, flame suit on.

stealing it? LOL its a open air signal for petes sake like bill said either u secure it or its open season

Lol in many states that's a felony by the way, theft or mis appropriation of telecommunications service.

Wifi is not considered a public domain broadcast, password or not
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
No need to flame as many, like myself, look at an open network as an open invitation. If you don't want me to use it, secure it!

Well then I guess you guys think it would be perfectly OK to park your RV in my front yard without asking ?

After all, there is no fence or any signs.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

gutfelt
Explorer
Explorer
Itinerant1 wrote:
These boosters are ok if you're in an rv park and using their wifi or you have a booster for your own wifi. If your using someone else wifi with out their permission it's stealing and justifying it with they should secure it (which they should) doesn't make it right. Food for thought, flame suit on.

stealing it? LOL its a open air signal for petes sake like bill said either u secure it or its open season

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
No need to flame as many, like myself, look at an open network as an open invitation. If you don't want me to use it, secure it!
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.

Itinerant1
Explorer
Explorer
12v 500ah, 20 cells_ 4s5p (GBS LFMP battery system). 8 CTI 160 watt panels (1,280 watts)2s4p,Panels mounted flat. Magnum PT100 SCC, Magnum 3012 hybrid inverter, ME-ARC 50. Installed 4/2016 been on 24/7/365, daily 35-45% DOD 2,500+ partial cycles.

FunnyCamper
Explorer II
Explorer II
I found 'Techno RV' and bought the booster kit. I like they 'tell ya all about' the why and how and all of what you are trying to achieve. Just google them and get info. I found it very informative

missnmountains
Explorer
Explorer
We use PDQ Connect for both our boat and Motorhome. It can pick up from several miles away. But do not forget, campgrounds advertise "wifi", not internet. So even if you have a really good boosted signal, that does not mean good internet.

Ken
2016 Newmar Dutch Star 4369

Our Blog: Lawrence Adventures

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
spuyear wrote:
by pulling in multiple Wi-Fi signals and combining those into one stronger signal.

Marketing hype.
It doesn't/can't work that way.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
This is my favorite WiFi booster. No, it's just for one WiFi Signal but finding multiple open WiFi Networks is pretty rare anyway. It costs about $100 and I am using it at the moment to connect to a very weak signal several 100 feet away.
David Bott's WiFi setup

rockylarson
Explorer
Explorer
Last I heart WeBoost (formally Wilson Electronics) was only doing Cellular, not wifi. Doing it well I might add.
Jan and Rocky
Volunteers for USFWS. 29 refuges with 9300 hrs ea since 2006. 2004 Allegro 30DA, Workhorse 8.1, Banks, 2012 Jeep Liberty Jet, Blue Ox Aladdin, Brake Buddy Advantage Select, 300 watts solar, 5 Optima group 31 AGM's, 2000watt Ames PSW inverter.