cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What size and type RV do you use to full-time?

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
What size and type RV do you use to full-time? I am leaning towards a Class A about 35 feet long. I'd like to go a little larger, but there are several well-known advantages to going a little shorter, too. A 40 foot Class A begins to look like a monster.
2022 JAYCO JAY FLIGHT SLX 8 324BDS
2022 FORD F-250 XL CREW CAB 4X4
All my exes live in Texas, that's why I live in an RV
54 REPLIES 54

jpbuch9309
Explorer
Explorer
We LIVE full time in a 5th Starcraft Solstice 377rden with five slides and it is just me my wife and two medium size dogs in TX and we were actually talking about it being too big one of the slides is a third couch. Remember your first RV is the learner the second is the one you want.

whizbang
Explorer
Explorer
We full timed for two years and traveled all over the country.

The overwhelming majority of full timers where either large Class A's (35-40 feet) or large 5ers. We had a 38 foot diesel pusher with a Jeep in tow.

Smaller rigs are easier to drive or tow, but, as a full timer, you spend a lot of time indoors and a little extra space goes a long ways..
Whizbang
2002 Winnebago Minnie
http://www.raincityhome.com/RAWH/index.htm

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
pianotuna wrote:
Hi valhalla360,

-5 f is shirtsleeve weather. Heating the space is not the issue. Let's try to bring that slide in at -40.

valhalla360 wrote:
Don't buy the argument that you can't go into cold weather areas with slides. We have been down to -5F and the furnace kept up (it did use a lot of propane but so will a no-slide RV). The space lost is just too much to give up.

That's why they put wheels on them, so you don't have to be where it's -40F.

Our experience with -5F was due to freak record cold in New Mexico. 2 days later, it warmed up, we pulled the slides in and were on our way. We could have pulled them in at -5F but didn't want to go on the roads in icy conditions and didn't have anything pressing.

Most people talking about cold weather camping won't see anything worse than the teens. If you want to spend winter in the arctic circle, the rules change but very few actually do that and it's not relevant to the typical cold weather camping question.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
-5 f is shirtsleeve weather
At -5 I couldn't jog because it would freeze my lungs.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
We full-timed and traveled constantly. Our first choice was always public parks or boondocking on remote public lands. We stayed in many national parks, national forest campgrounds, BLM and forest service lands plus city and county parks.

We had absolutely no problems with our 33' 5th wheel for 8 yr. and our 40' motorhome for 8 years. We've stayed in the same places. Yes, you can even go to Grand Teton Nat'l Park, Yellowstone, Glacier, Grand Canyon, Rocky Mtn., etc. with a 40' motorhome.

Get what you'll feel most comfortable living in. The one thing we really disliked with the 5th wheel was driving the big truck around. We much preferred the Jeep and motorhome combo and the Jeep gave us unlimited fun exploring the backcountry narrow, rocky roads and mountains.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
pianotuna wrote:
Hi valhalla360,

-5 f is shirtsleeve weather. Heating the space is not the issue. Let's try to bring that slide in at -40.

Question: Where is it -40 degrees?
Answer: Nowhere that I will ever be.
2022 JAYCO JAY FLIGHT SLX 8 324BDS
2022 FORD F-250 XL CREW CAB 4X4
All my exes live in Texas, that's why I live in an RV

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
Bigger isn't better.

Smaller isn't better.

What works for you is best.

And that might change over time.

--

My family of 4 is in a 42' bunkhouse fifth wheel. We are likely moving into a 43' toy hauler fifth wheel.

It works for us. We move weekly on average- 56 stops in 2017.

We have friends in much shorter Airstream with 4 kids, 2 adults, and a dog.

We have other friends with 2 kids considering a truck camper.

And we have friends with 4 kids and 1 or 2 dogs in a 45' toy hauler fifth wheel.

It runs the gamut.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi valhalla360,

valhalla360 wrote:
Don't buy the argument that you can't go into cold weather areas with slides. We have been down to -5F and the furnace kept up (it did use a lot of propane but so will a no-slide RV). The space lost is just too much to give up.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
How many are in the traveling party and what do you like to do?

If you are a single guy who mostly hangs out outside the RV with simple hobbies that don't require much stuff, 35' may be overkill.

If you are a family of 4 with hobbies that require taking a lot of stuff, 40' may be too small.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

arhayes
Explorer
Explorer
42.5' 5ver Toy Hauler. The "garage" is my Ham radio shack and her sewing room once the motorcycle is removed. Been on the road close to 4 years and would not change a thing. We love that there is a separate room that one or the both of us can retreat to and work when we want. YMMV
Alan and Kathleen
2015 Grand Design Momentum 380TH (RVD2)
2014 F350 6.7L Diesel DRW (Stormtrooper)
2012 Honda Goldwing NAVI/ABS (Land Speeder)

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Really doesn't matter what everyone else has.
What fits YOUR needs is all the counts.

I have parked next to every single type of RV's that people were full timing in.

I met a lovely lady traveling alone Full-Time in a Casita.
She was the happiest RV'er I have met on the road. :C

This is what a Casita looks like.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Our 33' no slides gas Class A served us well for a number of years, and now our 34' super slide gas Class A serves us even better. We have not found a park yet in areas we've been interested in, whether private, state, or federal, that didn't have sites we could fit in, often without needing to unhook our toad.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
The October 2017 issue of Trailer Life has an excellent article on 5ers supposedly built for full-timing including what to look for in a rig to be used for that purpose.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

khager76248
Explorer
Explorer
We like staying in the National Parks, and it is my experience you have to stay under 35 feet and sometimes 30 feet, for those. But if you only want to stay in commercial parks bigger is probably better.
:)2008 Georgetown 315DS SE:)

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II

40' no slide bus conversion. Strangely enough, no chandeliers, bowling alleys or swimming pool but it goes where ever we need in any weather. If we can't stay at a park due to size there is one nearby where we can. That's what the toad is for. Yellowstone? Yep! Devil's Tower and Mt. Rushmore? Yep! We go where we want. We do what we want when we want. 40' is not going to prevent you from doing any of those things.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?