cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selling house to full time - thoughts

rvexodus
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I are looking to sell our house and move into our 34ft Starcraft travel trailer. I work in north Phoenix and therefore would look to find a cheap park north of anthem area. This is not financial. Just looking to get away from home ownership and the more complex life we have weaved with all the house projects , landscaping and consumption of stuff. We are looking to strip down to the basics and maybe enjoy an area a little north of the valley.

We are not looking to travel for now, although may do so on and off. I need to be in the office near 101 and i17 three to four days each week.

Couple things ...

Anyone have experience with Rv parks in that area. Something that won't cost $1000/mo.

Any general advise for those looking to move to full time but not to travel.

If you'd like to know a little more about our journey and or want to comment on what we are doing, check out my ramblings:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTw5oNurPyGXEHizIzwUCAg

Not trying to sell another channel ... Sincerely interested in getting better perspective on what we are doing or planning to do.

Thanks.

Kirk
18 REPLIES 18

Nutinelse2do
Explorer
Explorer
Try Rivers Edge in Black Canyon City
Living Our Dream
MTHRSHP - 2006 KSDP 3912
Cummins 350ISL...Spartan Chassis
ESC POD - 2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Zippy Scoot- 2018 Honda PCX 150 on an Overbilt Lift
Shredder at the Rainbow Bridge - You Will Always Be With Us

petercasts
Explorer
Explorer
Hi there, did you sell your house. I want also to sell mine, and to travel with a RV. Of course, I will wait until the virus situation is over, and then I will go in a trip. This is my dream that I hope to realize. I've even found a company that would buy my house. thepropertybuyingcompany.co.uk. They're thepropertybuyingcompany.co.uka leading genuine cash buying company who purchase residential or commercial property. They offered me the best price on the market for my house. I had to refuse, but I hope that soon I will be able to accept their offer.

ol__yeller
Explorer II
Explorer II
Capital Gains taxes have been modified for many years now. There is an amount that is tax exempt and then after that benchmark is reached then Capital Gains applies. Not sure, but I think it is like $250,000 an individual and $500K for a couple. A tax advisor can tell you the amounts. One doesn't necessarily have to reinvest home sale profits in a new home to avoid Capital Gains Tax.
I am NOT a mechanic although I do play one in my garage!

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know if this has been mentioned and I really don't know the answer, but if you make some money on your house, if you don't reinvest it you will need to pay taxes on the profit, I don't know if putting the money into an RV would qualify. You would need to talk to someone who would know. I spent a summer in Southern Calif desert in my RV and it was tough keeping the rig cool, but with a lot of insulation, fans, AC and silver paper for the windows it wasn't bad. If you have pets, it might be a BIG issue.
Would I give it a try. In a heart beat. Or maybe look into those tiny homes.

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
I've been full timing for over 2 years now and spent last winter near Phoenix (Goodyear). I left on 1 May to travel. It was already getting real hot. I really wouldn't want to stay in any RV during the summer in most of Arizona. The high temps and unrelenting all-the-time sun would combine to make cooling any kind of RV an adventure.

Any insulation will help, foil or otherwise. I don't see how solar will help much as your major expense will be because of running AC 24 hours/day and you won't be doing that off battery power.

FWIW, I talked to a few people who did live in a TT during summers in the park I stayed at. They added window AC units because they are supposedly much more efficient then RV rooftop units. They also foiled their windows.

I did see RVs under freestanding carport shades that were being lived in. I would think this would help a lot, just keeping the sun off the rig.

Halfmast
Explorer
Explorer
Even after owning it for ten years, my Atlanta-area house was worth two-thirds of what I paid for it. Plus, I wasn't sure about Full-Timing.

I used a Property Management firm (a Re-Max Realtor) to handle renting out the house. They locate and screen tenants - charging one month's rent - then handle everything else for 8%, depositing the rest into my bank account. A Home Warranty covers repairs if needed.

I am an absentee landlord wherever I decide to pull my trailer and have a place to return to if I change my mind about FT'ing or get ill. As my mortgage was paid off, it's a comfortable little monthly income.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
rvexodus wrote:
SuGar Shack wrote:
Just be sure you have accurate estimates of all real costs involved. AC in AZ in summer can be expensive. Project costs for a year in advance and then evaluate the actual vs the projected to see how close you are.

With my house,

I am paying a fixed $375 every month. I suspect it would be less for an RV

a little further north.

The trailer also has the foil insulation

... I wouldn't expect it to solve all my AC issues but expect it helps to have.

My other option is to use solar (1000 watt maybe)' to supplement my power consumption. Thoughts? Experience with high AC bills?

You REALLY need to research this thru thoroughly BEFORE you sell your house if you think you can live in an RV for less than $375.

Trailer parks and CG's charge 'extra' for electricity and as everyone has posted the heat where you are planning to stay will be VERY uncomfortable in an RV. AND the electric bill costly. Foil insulation will not do squat. Any trailer and/or a MH is nothing more than a box sitting in the blazing heat. There is a reason snowbirds and full timers do not stay there in the summer!

Good luck on your endeavor. But do some serious research on the CG's in the area you think you would being staying at before you leap.:C

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
We FTd in a 34' 5th wheel for 7 yrs.

Any temp above 100*F and one A/C Unit will NOT be enough to cool inside down.

Living space was 280 sq. ft. and that is with most of it being living room with opposing slides.

Month to month rentals are best deal vs site cost but that usually means metered electric (site plus electric).
Some places it ran $150/month just for electric

It was a great adventure..........but not really cheaper than when we lived in a 1700 Sq ft home.
Best part was the fact that we TRAVELED.

Being parked ..one spot. That would have to have been in a 'park' model at minimum
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
Any "cheaper" comparison falls apart when you consider the depreciation and deterioration of the RV. There are millions of homes and apartments built prior to 1990 that are in perfect condition and function flawlessly as residences. You can't say the same for Recreational Vehicles. The rig will eventually fall apart and you will have to replace it, and that costs big money. Most of the living components in an RV are simply not as durable or as high quality as those in normal residences. That means the TV, the Microwave, the Stove, The Refrigerator, the heater and air conditioner, the plumbing and everything else will be much more likely to fail. That costs money as well. And most importantly, can you live with your spouse in less than 400 square feet of space? I couldn't. It's one thing to travel, tour, sightsee and have adventures in the small confines of an RV, it's something totally different living day to day in the same space.

2lazy4U
Explorer
Explorer
I would rent a house or apartment, rather than living in an RV. RV parks are tight and you're usually elbow to elbow with your neighbor, plus they can be noisy. Things may change before you decide to fulltime and then what? Health or other interests, etc. It's one thing to take off fulltiming for a year or two and another to live basically in a mobile home park.

scrubjaysnest
Explorer
Explorer
Great idea, now if we could find a buyer for the house.
Daughter living in Yuma has been looking into moving from an apt to an RV and everything she has found so far is cheaper.
Axis 24.1 class A 500watts solar TS-45CC Trimetric
Very noisy generator :M
2016 Wrangler JK dinghy
“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
Kirk,

Thinking a little out of the box. If you and your wife could arrange a position as a camp ground host at Lake Pleasant, you'd have access to a free site, electricity and water. It would be a beautiful place to live. They might even pay a small wage. Of course you'd have to see if it would work out with your present employment, but it might be an interesting way to approach it.

If you're interested, you might contact Maricopa County parks to see how to proceed.

Jim
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
Two thoughts...

You can buy property in parts of AZ fairly inexpensively where you can place an RV or Mobile Home.

Take a look at www.rv-dreams.com these folks sold everything 10 years ago and have been fulltime since then. Lots of good information about fulltiming and financials.

Pop-Pop_C
Explorer
Explorer
Again AC in AZ. In a RV. Can get expensive and uncomfortable and noisy.
Might ck. Into a " Park Model" , or a apt. Especially if you are not ready to travel.
34' might be a bit small for full timing. Up keep and repairs on a RV is no small thing. Most RV dealers want you to bring into the dealership for repairs. Especially under warranty. We are in a 40' MH. And full time. Also sold the house
Five years ago when I retired. Lots to think about.