cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

SD Address, yay or nay?

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sold our B&M. Have a park model permanently parked in a campground. Buying a SD and 5th wheel in the fall. Still working, but this working from home is working out pretty good so far.

Getting a lot of recommendations to set up a legal domicile in SD and corp in Montana for buying the new truck and 5th wheel.
12 REPLIES 12

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Depends on the state and your income bracket. The state can determine from credit card receipts and other financial records where you've been. But it's unlikely that they will make the effort unless you pay a lot of taxes. There are some real horror stories out there, mainly from CA, IL and NY of the extremes they will go to pursuing someone.

"A California resident is anyone in the state for other than a temporary or transitory purpose. It also includes anyone domiciled in California who is outside the state for a temporary or transitory purpose. The burden is on you to show that you are not a Californian. If you are in California for more than 9 months, you are presumed to be a resident. Yet if your job requires you to be outside the state, it usually takes 18 months to be presumed no longer a resident."

Forbes

New York and California, collecting income taxes from individuals who are unable to prove that they did not cross the 183 day threshold has become a big revenue driver. New York, for example, collected $1 billion from residency audits from 2013 โ€“ 2017, which is 4 times more than S Corp/Partnership audits.

resdency audit
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

jimbo4UT
Explorer
Explorer
Hum I read all the replies and have to wonder how a state knows how long you stay there? We just notified Virginia on 11-6-2020 that we are now domicile out of Florida and I even gave them my good sams address in Florida even though they did not ask for it. I also explained that my house was going thru a remodel so we could sell it. All they ask I do is notify them if I changed my mind so they could renew my tags on the motor home and car otherwise I would have to do to dmv all over again. I love reading all the different topics on here but honestly several who post on here go into overkill. We already have a dmv in Florida we are going to in May to change our licenses and tags. After I get them I doubt I set foot back in Florida for a few years.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
What does your tax professional..CPA, EA etc... say? Donโ€™t wing it.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Go over to the Escapees forum and investigate their mail services to SD, TX and FL residents. You need to divorce your current domicile and obtain drivers licenses, insurances, professional connections, pay taxes if any, doctors, banking, etc., in the new state. No state can hold you hostage, but you have to be a resident somewhere. The MT LLC has been around for years, but last I heard, aggressive tax states like CA, NY, MI, will try to collect if you spend more than x days in-state with your MT-registered RV.
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
Other than truck taxes, consider state income tax.

Where is your job? i.e. The place where your W-2 or W-9 is issued.

My father worked in Louisiana until he was 49, and in Texas from ages 50-65. Yet he always owned the same home in Arkansas. Until his job in LA ended with a plant closure, he always had to file both LA and AR income tax. There was an offset to his AR tax for LA tax paid.

After, he had to file AR income tax and pay on the Texas income.

SD doesn't have a state income tax, but changing your domicile to there might draw closer scrutiny of Michigan tax ......
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
If you will be travelling extensively, having a mail service like Dakota Post has benefits, my meds are delivered to them in 3 month batchs and they forward to where I wish when I'm ready. The registration of your vehicles there, eliminates a need to return for state inspections and no emissions test.
Yes you pay more for registration on larger vehicles, (my MH is about $260 a year) but no income tax and the conveniences i mentioned make it worthwhile to me.

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Where are you actually going to live?

If you are constantly on the road moving around, it can be a good option.

One item to watch is are you still officially assigned to Michigan in terms of work? It could be a red flag if you are working in Michigan but "residing" in South Dakota. The tax man has a tendency to assume you are guilty until you prove otherwise...so if you are really living 6 months of the year in a Michigan park, don't be surprised if they catch you at it.

Also, don't be surprised if they question the Montana LLC if there is no indication of actually having any relationship with Montana beyond using it as a tax dodge.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

jorbill2or
Explorer II
Explorer II
Unless you have substantial income or assets to protect, and a tax lawyer to advise Iโ€™d probably not complicate matters. You have a fixed house Park model in the state your work base is even if you work from home and are looking to establish a domicile in South Dakota , and a LLC in Montana. Sounds like trouble without some serious legal consultation
Bill

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
All states are going to get their money one way or the other. Taxes are like hand cuffs. The more you struggle the tighter they make them.
Puma 30RKSS

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
MT LLC info...you decide
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

navigator2346
Explorer
Explorer
If you buy in MT and then register in SD, you will be paying sales tax. More importantly, you need to consider your medical insurance coverage

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
The state tax people are very aware of the Montana tax dodge and may come after you if you are still actually living in MI. Cali has actually declared that if you live or reside in Cali for 100 days then you owe them taxes. Most states are 6 months and a day makes you a resident, I think but I am not a lawyer.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper