cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Oh my...they live in a motorhome!

my440
Explorer III
Explorer III
I guess the proper word is Social Stigma.
How many feel it?
You tell someone you live in your motorhome and you get a great sense that you just became less of a person.

I have no problem with it really I just find it aggravating.
55 REPLIES 55

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
Ignorance= lack of knowledge or understanding. No matter if it's RV living, marijuana use, gun issues or alcohol or whatever, many people speak with no knowledge, understanding or EXPERIENCE with the issue. The only thing I would say to them at that point is "Oh you have full timed?" Duuhhhh

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Gunship Guy wrote:
We full timed for 2 yrs in a 5th wheel before coming off the road to care for an elderly family member.

We never felt our friends looking down their nose at us. In fact, many said they were envious of us for having the freedom to make such a choice. Several said the inside of our Mobile Suites was nicer than their home.

I don't care what strangers think and give only slight value to negative thoughts from family.

I don't full time, probably never will.
I wonder how many of those negative thoughts from family are the result of jealously?

Gunship_Guy
Explorer
Explorer
We full timed for 2 yrs in a 5th wheel before coming off the road to care for an elderly family member.

We never felt our friends looking down their nose at us. In fact, many said they were envious of us for having the freedom to make such a choice. Several said the inside of our Mobile Suites was nicer than their home.

I don't care what strangers think and give only slight value to negative thoughts from family.
2017 Weekend Warrior (by The RV Factory)
2013 Ram 3500 Longhorn LB DRW 4x4 Aisin 4.10

Previous:

2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 41'
2006 DRV Mobile Suites 38'
Volvo 770

arhayes
Explorer
Explorer
Two sides to the coin....when we tell people we meet that we sold our home and are full-time RVers, almost everyone is envious of the lifestyle and we get "that's what we want to do, but....", followed by the excuses of family, or whatever. However when we visit friends in an area they offer for us to stay with them so we can sleep in a "real bed". We've not gotten any negative comments.
Alan and Kathleen
2015 Grand Design Momentum 380TH (RVD2)
2014 F350 6.7L Diesel DRW (Stormtrooper)
2012 Honda Goldwing NAVI/ABS (Land Speeder)

1ofmany
Explorer
Explorer
Don't really care how someone views our choice of living arrangements.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
I guess the proper word is Social Stigma.
How many feel it?
You tell someone you live in your motorhome and you get a great sense that you just became less of a person.I have no problem with it really I just find it aggravating

I think it is the fact that most people just do not 'know' what 'full-timing' is and/or means.
Most have never even hear that word.

Not to mention the fact that we most likely have way more money in the bank
to support our lifestyle than any of those who point fingers. :W

If they knew how much it costs per month to full-time?
They would then know that we are NOT poor and homeless!

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
I suspect it may have to do with what RV you live in. A big new/newish DP or 5er and folks think "cool" - a small rig and/or older rig and they think you're one of the homeless. Definitely a bias out there.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

path1
Explorer
Explorer
We find just the opposite. (That is discounting some in-laws that think we're going, no, actually gone insane). Tonight we went out to diner just couple blocks from us. When we were sitting there and a lady commented on my wives sweater. Wife told them she got in Mexico when on our RV travels. Spent the next 15 min answering questions of RV's and RV life style. Turns out the couple have been thinking about buying an RV for several years.

We just got back to sticks and brick house 3 weeks ago after 7 month on the road. Last year was 6 months on the road. Messing around on the computer last night I totaled up what this house cost us last year. Yes, maybe I am insane to still own a house.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

BarbaraOK
Explorer
Explorer
You need to change the type of people you are interacting with - never had someone say that to us.

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe - full-timing since 2006

Figment II

(2002 Alpine 36 MDDS) ๐Ÿ™‚
2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
[purple]FMCA - F337834, SKP #90761[/purple]
Our Blog

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
We are not full timers, but we are the rich folks with M/H in their yard.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

Fulltimers
Explorer
Explorer
In the 11 years we have been fulltiming I have never felt that. In fact most people are festinated by our lifestyle.
Fulltimers
Fulltimers Weblog

2003 Rexhall Aerbus 3550BSL
W-22 Workhorse
2005 Saturn Vue (Mr. Toad)
3.5L V6 Automatic