Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My life's next chapter

Geocritter
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all y'all!

I’m finally starting my life’s next chapter. I just purchased this RV yesterday, by June it will be my new home. I didn’t pay much for it (the truth is I couldn’t afford to pay much). Fortunately, starting at the age of 10 with bicycles, I have 55 years’ experience fixing things, to the point where it’s both a blessing and a curse. Anyhow, my first step is to make it liveable and get both air conditioners running reliably before hell, I mean summer, arrives here in Texas. It has 58K on it and runs good enough, however before I start traveling, I’m going to give the entire rig a good going over so that it’s reliable, then I’ll worry about making it pretty.

It's a well used 33' 1994 Holiday Rambler. (Edit: it has a Ford 460 V8)

Steve
20 REPLIES 20

Ginafloyd
Explorer II
Explorer II

Are u single cause we have single campouts with other singles in lonersonwheels.com . U can check to see uf campout close to you I think about $60 a year I hadnt signed back up yet but plan to Wed when My check comes as camping been closed for the winter in Tenn . Our first campout in NC in April 

MPI_Mallard
Explorer
Explorer
NICE COACH and welcome to the party!! The best rig to have is one that's paid for and I woulkd have no problem if you parked beside me so good luck!!!
07' Dodge 3500 6 speed Cummins Diesel Dually/6.7L Bully-Chipped /
Exhst Brake/07' Cedar Creek 37CDTSD Daydreamer fiver
Mallard @ Frau Blücher

Red Green:
Now lets Bow your heads for the men's prayer.
I am a man, but I can change.
If I have to, I guess...

Geocritter
Explorer
Explorer
Right now I’m just trying to make the rig livable. The latest issue I’m tackling is overhauling the propane storage/distribution system. My rig was originally licensed in NY State and the underside rust is everywhere. The 32 gallon ASME propane tank and associated cast iron pipe distribution lines looked horrible. I pulled the tank, drained the small amount of propane that was still in it and yesterday I dropped it off for sandblasting and priming. After I pick it up, I’ll paint it light gray and remount it under the rig. The lines were a different story, 19 years of rust and pitting made a mess of them, I’m sure being connected to copper feed lines going to the furnace, water heater, stove and frig accelerated the rust because the tank wasn’t nearly as bad. I just purchased all new piping and will mount it in place tomorrow morning. So far the propane systems cost about $120, not to mention the realization that at 65 I’m not getting any younger. Hell is beginning to make its annual appearance, fortunately if I start early I can still get about 3-4 hours work in before the heat becomes unbearable for me (I’m the guy who used to take his kids tent camping in Northern Wisconsin in January and loved it!).

Most everything else is coming along fine. I have one of the two roof-top AC’s working well with the promise of the bedroom AC working soon (it appears to be a switching problem as it runs fine off the generator). The fresh water, gray water and black water systems work well. I haven’t tested the water heater and stove yet. I’ll work on the furnace in the fall.

I’m going to spend the next few summer months getting used to living in the rig. I’m putting what’s left of my stuff in storage and want to have it accessible so I can take away or add things as needed. Come fall I’m going to work over the engine and drive train and take a shakedown/pheasant hunting trip to South Dakota. After that, who knows? I just know I’ll be outa here!

Steve

Roundtwo-40
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome! Your rig looks cool! This may sound funny (and I am in no way making light of whatever situation you may be facing) but I am kinda envious in a way, you are getting to start an adventure that I will probably never get to do. Enjoy the open road wherever it may take you, be safe and take lots of pics!
2013 Jayco Eagle 328RLTS w/15K AC
2013 Ram 2500 CTD CC 4X4
Equalizer 14K,PI PT30C Surge

sk734
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome and good luck with your new adventure!!

Happy_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Life best part is about new and plesant experiences. Have fun on yours.
Travel Safe - Enjoy
Happy Jim
1999 Holiday Rambler Vacationer
2006 Chevy HHR Toad

JimM68
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats Steve, and welcome.

I'm also a confirmed DIYer, despite driving a late model DP.
Your new rig looks sweet, hope to see you on the road someday.
Jim M.
2008 Monaco Knight 40skq, moho #2
The "68"
My very own new forumfirstgens.com

My new blog

Geocritter
Explorer
Explorer
Just want to say thanks to all the folks here who responded to my post with encouragement and advice. Though I've been researching this entire matter for several years now, there's no better teacher than hands-on experience. Though I'm very good at fixing things, I'm learning that there is much going on in these RV's that I have no experience dealing with. You'll probably be seeing my posts over and over again as questions pop up (though I'll try to research past threads for answers to my questions).
Thank you again.
Steve

JimM68
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats Steve, and welcome.

I'm also a confirmed DIYer, despite driving a late model DP.
Your new rig looks sweet, hope to see you on the road someday.
Jim M.
2008 Monaco Knight 40skq, moho #2
The "68"
My very own new forumfirstgens.com

My new blog

Roads_Less_Trav
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have fun. It's a great lifestyle!!
2007 Hitchhiker II 34.5 RLTG Fifth Wheel
2007 Dodge RAM 3500 Long Bed / Single Rear Wheel
Traveling full-time in an RV and sailboat since 2007
Our full-time blog: http://roadslesstraveled.us
-Stories, photos, and lots of RVing tips!!

cabanaman
Explorer
Explorer
Nothing wrong with that,nice low mileage.I consider myself poor and do all my own maintenance and yet am able to live the fulltime life.There are many others as well.Not everyone can do a $200,000 + coach.Congrats and just have fun, life is short.
Retired Navy
2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad cab 6.7 cummins,6 speed auto,exhaust brake. Emissions removed.
2007 Open Road 378SA4S-5,equa-flex and morryde X factor,wet bolt kit,michelin ltx M/S 2 tires

klm
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats - on your new home and new lifestyle. My first coach was a '95 Georgie Boy - similar lines as yours. Served me well for many years. I don't know what is on your "fix it" list, but don't forget the tires - check the DOT, sidewalls for cracks, etc - yes they are $$$$$, but in terms of ssafety - priceless. 🙂
'02 KOUNTRY STAR DP
2012 HONDA FIT "PUMPKINMOBILE"
GILLIGAN- 1ST MATE CAT - 3 HR TOUR

RoadLife
Explorer
Explorer
That baby is gonna SHINE when you are done with her! Very cool looking coach. Congrats! Pictures of your progress would be great (hint hint)
ROADLIFE

RV Part Timers Blog

2003 40' Allegro BUS - 2 slides
2013 Ford F150 XLT 4X4 OffRoad 2014 XC60 Volvo
Shasta - Australian Shepherd; Boomer - Brittany;
Pancho - border terrier

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
That looks like a nice coach. A good wash job and some wax and I'll bet it will still shine ! Have fun outfitting it the way you like it and enjoy your new adventure.