cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just starting out

Jfondren3
Explorer
Explorer
So I am in the military and my wife and I are moving in two weeks. I have to go through a 6 month school where we are going, so we decided to get an RV instead of renting. I have been wanting to buy one for a while and try full-timing, so this is the perfect chance. We are getting a 29' Outback by Liteway from my dad for a steal. Currently it is getting a new A/C, awning, and the roof was just retreated. This will be our first attempt at this, and we know the space is going to be cramped so we are going through all of our stuff right now and separating what will stay with us and what will go into storage. We are picking up the trailer in Texas, so everything that we are going to keep will have to fit into the back of my SUV since we currently live in Florida. That's going to help ensure that we don't keep too much stuff. After we pick it up we will be traveling Texas for almost two weeks and then heading to North Carolina after that. So hopefully everything will go well. I am a pretty fast learner and I'm no stranger to cramped spaces with little to no amenities so I'm not worried about myself. I'll let you know how it goes and I am looking forward to this new adventure.
John
7 REPLIES 7

Jfondren3
Explorer
Explorer
Just wanted to jump back on here and say that after having the RV for 12 days, I am still loving it. I picked it up and immediately towed the trailer to Fredericksburg, Texas for five days. Once I was there and setting up I had one of my re-enforced hoses burst just inside the trailer. But that was easily fixed once I found the right size and type of hose and only cost a couple of bucks. Something has also happened with the fridge which I am going to have looked at, but till then we have done just fine using our cooler and ice.

After 5 days at Lady Bird RV park we headed a little south to the FamCamp on Lackland and stayed there for roughly 5 days also while it proceeded to pour. But having spent three years of my career in San Antonio I know the area pretty well and it was a good time. Now we have made it back to Beaumont, Texas where I picked the trailer up and are staying at Hidden Lake RV Park.

Along the way I have already met some really great people that are always willing to help out and offer advice. The rv lifestyle really does give you the best neighbors you will ever have.

My tow rig is a 2006 Porsche Cayenne S, and it definitely gets some looks. I guess most people aren't used to seeing them actually used for something other than going to the mall or soccer fields. But it tows very well and has plenty of power. Plus the extremely huge brakes help when stopping. The only downside is that originally I was under the impression that it was already set up for trailer brakes. However, after more research I found that it is wired for them only. So I have a Prodigy P3 and wiring harness coming so I can install it into the factory harness. So I have taken it relatively easy when moving since I know just how much a trailer can drive you.

My other mistake in jumping into this lifestyle was initially using it on a vacation and having a lot of my family tag along from the get go. We had a lot of fun, but my stress levels did go up drastically since I was learning a new way to live.

The plan from here on out is to stay with this trailer since it is paid for and big enough for my wife and I and our dog. In the next year or so I plan to trade my wife's Boxster in and get myself an F-350 King Ranch and then pass the Cayenne down to her. I still have a motorcycle that will be my main DD. Once I get on my actual computer I will attempt to upload a pic of our new home.
John

hitchup
Explorer
Explorer
We left Augusta, GA a few months ago and were surrounded by active duty military from Fort Gordon. Coincidently, we also stayed at "Heritage RV Park:. LOL
2014 DRV Mobile Suite Estates 38RSB3....our custom home
2014 Ford F450 KR CC 4x4......his office
2015 Lance 1172 TC.....mobile Motel FOR SALE
Working Fulltimers since 3/2005

"Shoot for the Moon! Even if you miss it, you will land among the Stars."

Jfondren3
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for the replies. I am in the Air Force and will be stationed at Ft Bragg. I checked into the Fam Camp previously but they only allow you to stay for up to 90 days at a time. My wife and I found Heritage RV Park in the area that we originally wanted to live in, so we have a reservation there. It's tucked out in the woods with a lake and you can stay as long as you like. Originally my goal was to try this out for 6 months and then if we liked it we would move into a bigger camper or possibly a motorhome. I've wanted to do this for a while and luckily we are both very active and love the outdoors and exploring as well as we don't need much stuff.

I will definitely look into the famcamp at Camp Lejune as well. Sounds like a pretty nice spot to visit.
John

drillagent
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like a great plan. Ran into an ARNG CPT at FE Warren AFB who was activated for a year and did the same thing. Don't forget to check http://militarycampgrounds.us/ for some great info about the famcamps in NC. Unfortunately there's no famcamp where I am, otherwise we'd move into our FW for the last year before we retire. Good luck, and enjoy!
TV: 2012 F250 CC SB SRW 6.7L Diesel w/air lift suspension
CHU: 2012 Keystone Montana 3750FL
Hitch: B&W Turnover Ball w/ Companion 3500
Family: Me, HH6, a Boston Terrier, a Shiba Inu

NCWriter
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to the forum! and enjoy your new RV. Sounds like a great plan.

When you are in NC, if you have leave sometime, you should try the RV park for military members right by the ocean at Camp LeJeune.

We drove down there to visit for a couple of hours once while a friend (civilian employee in Beaufort, SC) was doing a few days of training at LeJeune. They got a site and stayed there rather than stay in some motel.

It's a fantastic location. Climb a wooden stairway across the dune and there's the Atlantic Ocean.

Just Google Camp Lejeune RV Campground for more details if you are interested. From the site: "Our RV park has 37 RV sites and 6 Tent Sites with full hook-up. (Water/Electric/Sewage/Laundry Facilities/Cable Hookups)

Check In Time: 1200
Check Out Time: 1100

Rates for overnight stays:
RV Sites: $17
Tent Sites: $12
Dry Camp: $8

RV Park Extended Stay Policy
Available 1 Nov – 31 Mar each year. Ten percent discount applies for reserving a calendar month or 30 days."

pigman1
Explorer
Explorer
A great idea. You'll find it saves you a lot of money too, in comparison to other options you might have. DW and I did the same thing back in 1968 when I went to Ft. Walton Beach Forward Air Controller school. Not only that, but if you're going to be at a base where there's a FAMCAMP, you'll have a priority for getting a site when you get there. Check with the base for particulars, as all don't operate on the same rules. And, of course, you'll still have the RV when your school is done. Good luck and thank you for your service.
Pigman & Piglady
2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43' QGP
2011 Chevy Silverado 1500
SMI Air Force One toad brake
Street Atlas USA Plus

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to the forum. Congrats on your RV, and thank you for serving our country.
Don't hesitate to ask questions on the forum, there is a lot of information available.
Enjoy your travels.