cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hello

Grizz1
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all! Me and herself are new to The RV lifestyle....sort of. A long time ago in a galaxy far far away... (2006 to be precise) we decided to take our dream vacation to Alaska. Hmmm how to do it? Well rent an RV of course. Now I had never even been in an RV much less slept/lived in one. But what the heck, how hard could it be to live/drive one around Alaska for 5 weeks? So I did some research and Made reservations to rent one from Great Alaskan Vacations.

We flew into Anchorage and they picked us up at the airport gave us an orientation video and the keys to a brand new 29' Winne Chalet class C (no slides). And off we went!

I'll just say it was the most excellent vacation of our lives! I made no reservations except for the ferry to Sitka and 3 nights at the Teklanika campground in Denali. Other than that we just winged it. Again did I say it was the most excellent vacation in our lives! Went to the Yukon, Dawson City, Whitehorse, Traveled the Top of the World Highway to Chicken. Haines, Haines Junction, Skagway, Tok, Fairbanks, Chena hot springs, Homer, Seward, and everywhere in between!

After we got back I could not get over what an excellent time we had living in the RV. The lifestyle for that 5 weeks was great. So now 10 years later its almost time to leave the work a day world and plan the rest of our lives or the next part of our lives and fulltiming in an RV is the the plan. Still doing research on the RV....Too many to choose from!

Great forums here and am learning a lot! I'm sure I will have many many questions and hoping that you experienced folks will make this transition as smooth as possible. Or as smooth as changing your way of life can be. ๐Ÿ™‚ Going to Hershey to kick a few tires.
11 REPLIES 11

Life_In_Serenit
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to your new adventure. My wife and I took the plunge 4 months ago. Lots of great info on this forum. We have been here for many yrs but under a different login as we got a new laptop and couldn't remember our info :(. Hope you have a great adventure.
https://goo.gl/z67mgT

ventrman
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to the Forum. I hope you have many wonderful Experiences. Happy Trails!
God Bless!

ro_sie
Explorer
Explorer
While there, make a list of what you like and another of what you dont like. Don't have too many " I could live with that" things. Look for the perfect floor plan and note the name and particulars of it. then google it when you get home. We did that and found the perfect motor home a few hours drive from our home. we had that MoHO for about 10 years. recently we did the same thing again and bought a new to us unit that we love. Don't be afraid to be particular. These things can cost big dollars, so get what you need to be happy.
ro_sie
Art ( my roomie)
Fleetwood Revolution LE

ventrman
Explorer
Explorer
Congratulations and welcome to the Form. I hope you have many safe and fun Trips. Happy Trails!
God Bless!

Grizz1
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone! I will be going to the Hershey show tomorrow for a few days. I'm sure I'll come back with a lot of info on the rigs/floor-plans that are available. Hopefully a little more focused on what suits our needs/wants. But who knows I may come back more confused than ever. ๐Ÿ™‚ But that's what I find very enjoyable about this whole process. The looking, thinking, reading, learning!

Again thanks for the welcome and I'm sure I'll be buzzing around the different sections on the Forum with all sorts of questions. ๐Ÿ™‚

Geocritter
Explorer
Explorer
Hi and welcome,
Iโ€™ve been living full time in my 1994 Class A 33โ€™ Holiday Rambler for over three years now and I love it! FWIW I took a two month Alaska/Western Canada trip this past May and June. Unlike your 2006 Alaska trip I chose to put my 7.5mpg behemoth in temporary storage and do the adventure in my 26.5mpg Dodge Caravan exploration vehicle. Two months and +12,000 miles traveling and living in my Caravan was great fun.

You sound like someone whoโ€™ll love the full time lifestyle.

Steve

Alabama_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome and may God grant you many safe and fun trips.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Only regret we had about FTng............didn't do it sooner!

Good Luck!

LESS is MORE
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome and hope you're able to realize your RVing dream. It's an awesome lifestyle.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

arhayes
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to the forum and Congrats on getting close to leaving the workforce. Lots of stories on here about folks entering RVing full time that will help you. But, at the end of the day, you guys need to decide what your goals are, and that will help determine what rig type, size, and features you'll need. Remember, it'll be your home for years, so get one you can live in - and with!
Alan and Kathleen
2015 Grand Design Momentum 380TH (RVD2)
2014 F350 6.7L Diesel DRW (Stormtrooper)
2012 Honda Goldwing NAVI/ABS (Land Speeder)

n0arp
Explorer
Explorer
Hello, welcome to the forum! I'd love to take a trip to AK like that some day.
2000 Country Coach Magna 40',
4380W solar, 22.8kWh LiFePO4@48V, 450AH AGM@12V
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 2.0T, cloaked on 37x13.5s