cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting Warranty Service While Living In Your RV

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
What is the typical process for getting warranty service, or non-warranty service, while living in your RV full time? I have a 2 year warranty on my Jayco trailer and I am at almost 6 months. There are a lot of small items and some bigger items that need service and I think they are covered by warranty. I called the local Camping World and I spoke to someone in service. When I told them I am living in my trailer they said that if I come in early some day, about 9 AM, they will review all my items that day and I can take the trailer home in the afternoon. They will then contact Jayco and get approval and order parts. Then when the parts are ready they will contact me and I will come back in for an appointment. How long it takes then depends on what needs to be done. I might have to get a hotel room for a night or more, or maybe not.

Do a lot of dealers work like that? What can I expect based on your real world experience?
2022 JAYCO JAY FLIGHT SLX 8 324BDS
2022 FORD F-250 XL CREW CAB 4X4
All my exes live in Texas, that's why I live in an RV
9 REPLIES 9

Cptnvideo
Nomad
Nomad

There are independent RV service companies that do warranty work AND have hookups.  We like a company called RV Renovators in Mesa, AZ.  We took our 2022 GD to them just before the warranty expired (5 items on our repair list).  We were there 3 days and plugged in all 3 days with water and dump on property.  Generally, the independents will contact either the RV manufacturer or the OEMs of individual components (line Lippert or Furrion or Suburban) for warranty reimbursement.

Bill & Linda, 2019 Ram Laramie 3500 dually 4x4 diesel, Hensley BD5 hitch, 2022 Grand Design Solitude 378MBS, 1600 watts solar, Victron 150/100 MPPT controller, GoPower 3kw inverter/charger, 5 SOK 206AH LFP batteries for 1030 ah

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
arhayes wrote:
We have been FT 9 years and ours was also Grand Design. I a tually avoid dealers if at all possible because they usually cannot get you in. Depending on the issue, a tractor/trailer repair can fix most suspension issues. Also had one redo some hydraulic hoses that leaked. Much easier than getting into a dealer.

We had once where the dealer actually had Rv space with water/electric. They’d pull the rig over to work on during the day, then we’d sleep in it at night. Also had GD pay for mobile techs and overnighted parts to us for the tech to install. Of course we are now long out of warranty, but even some non-dealer repair places have had water/electric on site where we let them work on it during the day, and we still slept in it at night.

On little stuff, it is often easier to fix it yourself if you are capable. Let them send you the parts. Another option is to attend a rally. Most companies will have repair folks on site and fix relatively minor things for you in warranty or not.

That's an interesting idea. Maybe I can find a shop that has water/electric to stay at night.

jorbill2or
Explorer II
Explorer II
One caution I would be careful with is saying I live in the rv.In Most rvs that invalidates the warranties. When I full timed I told them I was seasonal and in the middle of a trip , and I had a full time rated rv! With some work you will need a motel and make that clear up front that you are out motel costs . Lastly I’d bypass the dealer totally unless I was confident. If the factory offers service I’d go there first. Since you are in fact full time ( I assume moving , not just living in a rv in a park in town) do make it part of your route to visit the factory They will have parts on hand and service will be quick and less painless. Do some sightseeing while there.
Fact is as you full time things May require you out of the rv at times . Plan for that expense and logistics. Sounds like your dealer is willing to work with you to order the parts after seeing what you need and let you go until they get them. That’s very rare! most want to keep the rv on their property until the job is done so you don’t ghost them on the parts
Bill

arhayes
Explorer
Explorer
We have been FT 9 years and ours was also Grand Design. I a tually avoid dealers if at all possible because they usually cannot get you in. Depending on the issue, a tractor/trailer repair can fix most suspension issues. Also had one redo some hydraulic hoses that leaked. Much easier than getting into a dealer.

We had once where the dealer actually had Rv space with water/electric. They’d pull the rig over to work on during the day, then we’d sleep in it at night. Also had GD pay for mobile techs and overnighted parts to us for the tech to install. Of course we are now long out of warranty, but even some non-dealer repair places have had water/electric on site where we let them work on it during the day, and we still slept in it at night.

On little stuff, it is often easier to fix it yourself if you are capable. Let them send you the parts. Another option is to attend a rally. Most companies will have repair folks on site and fix relatively minor things for you in warranty or not.
Alan and Kathleen
2015 Grand Design Momentum 380TH (RVD2)
2014 F350 6.7L Diesel DRW (Stormtrooper)
2012 Honda Goldwing NAVI/ABS (Land Speeder)

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
DallasSteve wrote:
Second Chance wrote:
It varies from dealer to dealer. The dealer we purchased both of our full-time fifth wheels from would make an appointment and get us in and out the same day for minor stuff - even a washer/dryer installation. When we needed warranty work done and weren't in our dealer's area, Grand Design stepped up to the plate and paid for a mobile tech.

Rob

Sweet. I guess that's why Grand Design was a lot more expensive. I may regret going cheap. (but I don't regret it yet)

Our Solitude was no more expensive than any other similarly equipped and built mid-grade "residential" capable fifth wheel. They all use the same appliances and basic components, anyway.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
Second Chance wrote:
It varies from dealer to dealer. The dealer we purchased both of our full-time fifth wheels from would make an appointment and get us in and out the same day for minor stuff - even a washer/dryer installation. When we needed warranty work done and weren't in our dealer's area, Grand Design stepped up to the plate and paid for a mobile tech.

Rob

Sweet. I guess that's why Grand Design was a lot more expensive. I may regret going cheap. (but I don't regret it yet)

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
I’d say your dealer is being very good to you. If you got any bump and paint items, you can expect it to take several days.

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
You can expect them to have your trailer a lot longer than you want.