cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Covid in RV Parks

Shadowcat
Explorer
Explorer
I have a question about Covid. Hope this is the place to ask it. I'm a SR citizen, new to full-time rving. I am in a small RV Park in NM and yesterday the owner said a full-time rver had Covid. This guy was walking around talking to people as if he had the flu. And this is what people sitting around talking think about Covid, that it is just another flu. I don't share that theory and have had my vaccinations plus my booster. I'm older and have done what I could to keep myself safe as well as others around me. For some this situation may not be a problem, but if you have encountered this in your travels what have you done? I am leaving in two weeks so will stay here and keep to myself til I leave. I did not anticipate this as I thought RV Parks followed specific rules regarding health concerns.
Thanks for any answers. Shadowcat
56 REPLIES 56

mockturtle
Explorer
Explorer
:R
jdc1 wrote:
We all know the reasons why Covid is still rampant. It will never go away because of deniers.
2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
toedtoes wrote:
OP - I think you have a good mindset. Take your journey, continue to use precautions, and if you see something that makes you uncomfortable, walk/drive away. Don't hide in fear, but don't ignore common sense and don't take silly chances.

Agreed. And if folks get comfort wearing a mask and feel it helps, either physically or mentally, then by all means, wear the mask.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
The vaccines do not prevent you from getting Covid, but they lessen the effects of it (just like a flu vaccine).

Most people who get the vaccine also take other precautions (mask wearing, social distancing, hand washing, etc) and all that lessens the chance of getting sick. So, by practicing those precautions and getting vaccinated, the chance of getting seriously ill with Covid is greatly reduced - but not completely eliminated.

People who don't get the vaccine (unless for medical reasons) are less likely to practice those other precautions so have a greater chance of catching the virus AND getting seriously sick with it.

Yes, you can get vaccinated, take precautions, and still get sick. One interaction with an infected person can pass it to you. If you have other health issues, Covid can aggravate those.

I had a friend who died after his diabetes went haywire. It had been under control for over a year before this happened. What changed? He got Covid. The covid virus caused his diabetes to go uncontrollable. He was vaccinated and had the booster shot. Which did he die of? Both. Just like my dad who had diabetes and CHF. The CHF caused his diabetes to go oncontrollable and that caused his death.

This is why the CDC has been so vocal about protecting those with underlying health conditions - because Covid WILL affect those conditions.

I still wear a mask when I am in shops, etc. I do so to reduce the chance that I will catch the virus. But it's more than that - if I have a simple flu or cold and expose someone else to that, I could unintentionally make them more succeptible to Covid.

I do agree with the thought that "if it's my time to go", but that doesn't mean I am careless. I don't play Russian roulette with my life. I enjoy my life, but I don't take silly risks.

OP - I think you have a good mindset. Take your journey, continue to use precautions, and if you see something that makes you uncomfortable, walk/drive away. Don't hide in fear, but don't ignore common sense and don't take silly chances.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Shadowcat
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the responses. I'm wiser today. I didn't realize so many people who are vaccinated and boosted have gotten Covid. This is just a small sample here. I do take precautions and will continue my journey.

Gooma
Explorer
Explorer
Covid is like the the flu. It's always going to be with us and some will die. I've had both shots and a booster and now have my second go 'round with Covid Not any worse for me than a cold.
Take whatever precautions you think is best, and live your life.

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
I have been SO careful as to not catch COVID and have been lucky. I can't get any vaccine because I had a bad rare reaction back in 2009 that put me in the hospital for 2 weeks. Slow recovery afterwards.

I wear a mask everywhere. I truly believe that it helps as it has been good so far. I've had family members get COVID and did OK. My niece (44 yrs. old) has been vaccinated, boosted, etc. and caught a really bad form of COVID. She thought she might have needed the hospital but didn't. It was scary.

I, too, don't think this will ever go away as the virus keeps mutating and there too many people spreading it.

Safe travels,
MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

arhayes
Explorer
Explorer
The reality is, we are all eventually going to get Covid and may not not realize that’s what it is. We are fully vaccinated and boosted, yet recently caught covid from a friend we had over for dinner. She had tested negative that week so had no idea. We are beginning our annual 6 months of travels Monday and I have no intention of living my life in fear.
Alan and Kathleen
2015 Grand Design Momentum 380TH (RVD2)
2014 F350 6.7L Diesel DRW (Stormtrooper)
2012 Honda Goldwing NAVI/ABS (Land Speeder)

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
toedtoes wrote:
Wearing a mask does protect the wearer to an extent - how much depends on the type of mask.

^^^^^^^^ THIS! ^^^^^^^^

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
All I know for sure is when its your time to go you are going. Since the start of the covid thing we have traveled over 20,000mi from northern PA to lower FL staying in numerous RV parks and visiting about every thing that was open. At first we saw a lot of masks but as time wore on there were less and less. We attended a huge event in South FL this past New Years and I paid attention to masks--I saw only 2 people wearing them, 2, in 5 days there. We comply with whatever rules are in place wherever we are but if not required we don't bother. I am right now 81 years old and will continue to keep moving until its time to go. I have had a good life

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
All I know for sure is when its your time to go you are going. Since the start of the covid thing we have traveled over 20,000mi from northern PA to lower FL staying in numerous RV parks and visiting about every thing that was open. At first we saw a lot of masks but as time wore on there were less and less. We attended a huge event in South FL this past New Years and I paid attention to masks--I saw only 2 people wearing them, 2, in 5 days there. We comply with whatever rules are in place wherever we are but if not required we don't bother. I am right now 81 years old and will continue to keep moving until its time to go. I have had a good life

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I rarely visit any commercial establishments except gas stations and food markets. I wear a mask when not outside…and keep my distance from others. With two shots and two boosters that’s about all anyone can do IMO.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

wapiticountry
Explorer
Explorer
Shadowcat wrote:
Janss, I would not be out walking around either if I was sick. There were several of us (4-5) sitting around talking when the owner said that this guy had covid. I said, "You let him walk around exposing people and don't share that with us?" Not worth arguing over. But, I was surprised. Won't be next time.

Thanks for your feedback. Have a good day,
What would you have the park do? They have no legal ability to quarantine the guy. They actually have no way of knowing that is what the guy has or if he is even sick. I know I don’t go around sharing my health information with anyone. It isn’t unreasonable to speculate the guy’s diagnosis came from the rumor mill rather than a doctor.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
jdc1 wrote:
We all know the reasons why Covid is still rampant. It will never go away because of deniers.

China prohibits deniers...as in they will lock you in and weld the door shut. They are currently dealing with a big breakout anyway.

Covid is present (thought in greatly reduced prevalence worldwide) because it's easily transmissible.

If you have risk factors, get your shots, wear a mask and keep to yourself as much as you can without causing yourself too much collateral damage.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

yet more COVID Confusion with numbers,... I am not sure we will EVER know the TRUE numbers.....
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
JimK-NY wrote:
Covid deaths are currently still close to 1000/day. That is way down from the peaks of over 3000. Still a thousand a day means some of us are still taking precautions seriously.

Where are you getting your data? CDC website says it's around 300/day.

Not saying it isn't a concern for those with risk factors but falsifying data does more harm than good.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV