cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Back Again

avan
Explorer
Explorer
After full timing nearly 15 yrs my wife passed and I hung up the keys and bought a condo. After spending a few years learning to cope, I sold the condo and decided to see parts of the country from a different perspective and I bought a 54’ boat to cruise the East coast, the Keys and Bahamas full time. What fun!

My age tells me it’s time to shift gears again so the boat is going up for sale and I’m shopping for a new home again on wheels and hope to be a FT traveling RVer again within a month or so. Looking for 40-42’ diesel pusher @ 10yr +/- old
www.putt10.net
12 REPLIES 12

Dennis58
Explorer
Explorer
Avan, I just spent about an hour checking out your blog, wow I'm barely into it and am amazed at your detail.

Sucks about the breakdown on your DP, been there myself once with my prior DP and yes calling for a tow on a DP is a whole new experance one will not soon forget.

avan
Explorer
Explorer
Just to update. I found my motorhome - a 40’ AllegroBus and a 2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk 4X4 to tow behind. Got everything set up and myself moved off the boat and into my new home by mid June. I’m now 4,900 miles down the road having visited, about half and half, some of my favorite places and routes of my prior decades of full timing and new places I’d missed before. I plan on a new first for me for winter. I plan on wintering in AZ having every year before wintered in S. FL. Enjoying every minute even though my navigator is no longer with me.

I do keep a blog at www.putt10.com with the new RV portion of my adventure beginning at post #74.
www.putt10.net

avan
Explorer
Explorer
Thanx Dianne. Emotionally the boat is well into my rear view mirrors. Literally too as I am well past a full month into the new full time RV segment of life and 1400 miles down the road. Enjoying the decision and the rig. Had to replace the entry step motor and the port side air height valve - less than I expected after a shakedown cruise

The photography of the boat is finished as is the write up and the boat listing finally published. Any of you who want to reverse my process and buy a great boat ready for serious cruising, Caribbean exploring and gracious living, check it out at https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1999/mckinna-phmy-3689442/
www.putt10.net

DianneOK
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome back!
Dianne (and Terry) (Fulltimed for 9 years)
Donnelly, ID
HAM WB6N (Terry)
2012 Ford F350, diesel, 4x4 SRW, crew cab, longbed
2009 Lance 971 Truck Camper, loaded

Life Member Good Sam
Geocache..."RVcachers"
RV net Blog

[COLOR=]Camping, nature's way to feed the mosquitoes

ramyankee
Explorer
Explorer
:C
:B
Rick and Patti 🙂
2 Proud Christian CONSERVATIVES 🙂
2002 Chevy Silverado, 8.1, Crew, LB, 3.73, 4X4
2020 Mesa Ridge 291rls
Now living in North Idaho (formerly Northeastern California) ... but the heart is with MONTANA STATE UNIVERSITY

avan
Explorer
Explorer
A lot has happened in1.5 months. The boat is in the slip ‘for sale’. Broker is taking pics today. My crew of the past 15 months has moved off and back into her full time motorhome and is now several states away resuming her wandering lifestyle.

I now own a car for the first time in 15 months. The world moves faster by road! I bought a 2019 Jeep Trailhawk 4x4 to tow behind the motorhome. I had Blue Ox ship a new base plate, tow bar and wiring to the marina and it’s now all installed.

I looked, personally and virtually, at a number of motorhomes. Reminded me of the lessons learned 6-7 yrs ago shopping for my then motorhome. Don’t believe what you hear or see. For example, I was very interested in a Country Coach for sale in AZ and did some checking before making reservations to fly to see it. Contacted CAT with the engine serial number to check on engine history. The tech came back on the phone and said “you want to pass on this one”. Seems like less than 100 miles before the rig was brought to CAT for overheating. Said the tech, ‘not just overheating but very extreme overheating’. Cancel that trip.

I did end up buying a very nice, great condition, AllegroBus 40QSP. Included a new set of shoes for it and replacement of a couple of fogged windows. Analysis on all fluids were good though the lack of prior analysis did not provide comparison. Nonetheless, it provides a good baseline. I then had complete changeout of all fluids. Bought it thru my MT LLC so now driving it on temp tags waiting for the permanent ones.

Parked it at an ELKS Lodge campground a few miles from the marina and over a couple of weeks packed all my stuff off the boat and moved onto the motorhome. That gave me plenty of evenings to ‘learn’ the coach, switch locations etc.

Have hired a reputable Captain to care for the boat till sold, clean out sea strainers etc., secure the boat for any impending named storm and to run the boat for its eventual sea trial.

So I’m ‘on the road again’.
www.putt10.net

avan
Explorer
Explorer
Tom: not that it’s really your business but yes I’m alone. And I’m downsizing. Considerably

The boat I’m living on and which I’ll sell is 55’ overall and has a 15.5’ beam. It also has 4 floors of living space which provides a total of at least 2-2.5 times the square footage. In addition there is the walk-in below deck storage and walk-in engine room. It has 3 staterooms and 2 full baths plus outside deck seating and lounging areas. A MH will represent a lot less cleaning etc. I won’t be filling a 850 gal fuel tank anymore with diesel, will get considerably more miles per gal and at a higher speed. I will have to get used to having a gray water tank again??. My last summer travel MH was 30’ Aspect triple slide. Nice for what it was - a summer traveler but not for full time living. Most of my 15 yrs of FTing was in 40’ rigs. .

Not sure what you mean ‘if ever in your position” but guessing you mean ‘alone’ or ‘full time’ but guessing from your address in your signature that you are not a full timer and probably not even a long term snowbird. I’m thinking I know what I’m doing. Thanx for your thoughts.
www.putt10.net

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Are you by yourself? Not sure why a single wants a 42 footer, but not mine to deal with. Hope you find what you want and happy trails. Heck If i am ever in your position, I think I could do well with my current 31 ft if not smaller.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

avan
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Terry & Dale. Moving the boat Monday to the marina where it will be available for sale. Then need to move crew off and then myself. Hoping to have a place to move on to:). Then list. I don’t want the “# of days listed clock” to start running until the vessel is ready to show and that means people and possessions off. Boat has been a great place to isolate and don’t want strangers aboard when I’m there.

Lady RVer: “from long ago”. Please rephrase. I feel old enuf as it is :B

Lwiddis: please don’t give that advice to those looking to buy my boat:C
www.putt10.net

Teacher_s_Pet
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome back Avan! Did you get the boat to the broker?
'06 Phaeton 40' QSH
'14 Ford Flex SEL AWD Toad
'04 R-Vision Trail-Lite 213
Scottiemom's Pet or husband to Dale
RV.net Rallies 13, Other Rallies 21, Escapades 7
Fulltimers since 2005, Where are we?
Our Travel Blog

LadyRVer
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome back. I remember your posts from long ago.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Drive a hard deal. It’s a buyer’s market.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad