cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Any couple fulltime in a class c?

caysea7254
Explorer
Explorer
Just curious if you do what type of storage do they have? We currently fulltime travel in a 31ft 5th wheel but are seriously considering about same length class c. Also if any have gone from 5th wheel to class c, and any regrets? Thanks!
Steve & Tara Smiley
2022 3500HD Sierra GMC
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL
12 REPLIES 12

caysea7254
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the replies! Just got to area that we have internet service!! Thank goodness! We just always throw the idea around, but it would be crazy im sure!We have our rig and truck paid for so im sure we would loose on trade. We did when we traded our 37ft 5th wheel for this 31ft!! again thanks!!
Steve & Tara Smiley
2022 3500HD Sierra GMC

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
jdc1 wrote:
caysea7254 wrote:
Just curious if you do what type of storage do they have? We currently fulltime travel in a 31ft 5th wheel but are seriously considering about same length class c. Also if any have gone from 5th wheel to class c, and any regrets? Thanks!

A 31' 5th wheel has 31' of usable space. A 31' motorhome has about 26' of usable space.

I would argue that a 31' Class A has about 31' of usable space if those seats up front swivel, as most do. Sure, the original poster asked about Class C, but you didn't say "Class C". You said "motorhome".
2022 JAYCO JAY FLIGHT SLX 8 324BDS
2022 FORD F-250 XL CREW CAB 4X4
All my exes live in Texas, that's why I live in an RV

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
We met an older couple, late 70's early 80's , back in 2003 in Oregon at I think the Blue Heron Winery that fulltimed in a class C that couldn't have been over 28 ft. It was small & maybe closer to 25 ft. So I would say it depends on how simple your lifestyle is .

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
Johno02 wrote:
If more than one person at a time expects to use the bed, with a full size greyhound, you need a king size bed. Xena weighed in at around 80 pounds, but at least she would sleep length wise in the center, so both of us could hang on the edges.

I definitely know what you are talking about... LMAO but happily Millie was content to sleep on her own bed. When Greyhounds stretch out they really take up some serious real estate.
:B

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
If more than one person at a time expects to use the bed, with a full size greyhound, you need a king size bed. Xena weighed in at around 80 pounds, but at least she would sleep length wise in the center, so both of us could hang on the edges.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
If you're already in a rig, go weigh it:
https://learntorv.com/weigh-rv/

Then subtract the unit's dry weight from that number. That will tell you how much stuff you carry.

Then add your + the spouse's + pets' weights to that number.

As you shop for class C rigs, make sure there's enough cargo carrying capacity to carry all of that.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

caysea7254
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you everyone for your knowledge. And yes I did forget about that thread! Lol I guess before I start another thread I should search prior ones!! But I always just ask 1st! We keep going back and forth on the idea and just always like to hear what others have to say that live this lifestyle in a class c. Thanks again everyone!
Steve & Tara Smiley
2022 3500HD Sierra GMC

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
While not full timing my bride and I {along with our 68# Greyhound rescue} did a 2 month, cross country, 7,800 mile trip a couple of years ago in our 24' Class C. We did not need a toad and as noted above we did quite a bit of "Mooch docking" {I love that term. LMAO}.

Now when we travel on extended trips I tow a 10' cargo trailer {14'overall} and haul my Indian Springfield motorcycle for extended exploration of new areas not to mention some awesome long rides on great new roads.

Our 24' C {no slides} has a great floorplan and is perhaps one of the largest 24 - 25' C's out there at 101" wide with a full 7' of headroom throughout the coach. We would hit the occasional laundromat when not Mooch Docking but other than that we had every amenity on board that you could ask for.

I carry lots of tools and toys but fortunately our coach has plenty of payload and more storage
then we ever need to use. Before trading in our 22' TT we did 5.5 years of extensive travel towing with my F-150 so we have seen that side of the equation as well and have not looked back. For us the C is perfect, takes us anywhere we need/want to go with all of the comforts of home.

As always... Opinions and YMMV.

:C

MNGeeks61
Explorer
Explorer
you may have forgotten about this thread

In any case, I have no pertinent thoughts, but my opinion is that class C's typically have less space than a travel trailer or 5th wheel. If were to consider fulltiming, I don't think I'd pick a class C. Tows less than a full size motorhome, costs about the same as a motorhome, need a toad if you want to go see things. My personal opinion is still the same, I'd fulltime in a TT or 5th wheel.

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
caysea7254 wrote:

A 31' 5th wheel has 31' of usable space. A 31' motorhome has about 26' of usable space.

happynow
Explorer
Explorer
So much is determined by the floor plan you choose. You could get many different answers to this question based on that alone.
We full time in our 2019 Tiffin Wayfarer(Previosly owned Thor Siesta).We carry only what we truly need to enjoy our travels, which is much less than we started with 5 years ago when we began full timing.
We spend 3-4 months per year "moochdocking" at our kids & grandkids homes/driveways that are 1400 miles apart from each other. Otherwise, we travel.

You might begin by looking at brand and floor plans that appeal to you. Check out the amount storage space. IMO, this is something you must investigate to determine if a class C will work for you. Go to an RV show or dealers to compare.
happynow

Steve and Carol

mleekamp
Explorer
Explorer
Well, I can't answer your question perfectly, but we upgraded last year to a 33ft Class C so that we can full time in it about 2 years from now. Before that, we had over 20 years of camping in TT and TC...sorry, no 5vr (which is why my answer is not perfect). We bought it now to get it fully paid for in a few years, and to get used to it, get it stocked / outfitted the way we wanted. We like many things about the C, including moving from cockpit to cabin without exiting....this was especially nice when we pulled into a campsite in Alabama last summer, and it was pouring rain. We have a HUGE pass thru storage under the bed (which is in the rear) and many storage options around the coach. We found a unit that had no outside kitchen or TV, things we didn't need because we would rather have the storage. One other thing we like is the onboard genset. Has been nice to leave the two pups inside with AC on while we explore someplace for an hour or 2.

If there was one thing we don't like is that with our dinghy attached, we can't really backup. This can be especially challenging with the less than steller turning radius of our Ford chassis. However, I've gotten "good" at predicting those things with a few trips in so far, and we've done okay.

I'll say this: Everything is a compromise. With a TT or 5vr, you have great floor plans and layouts, with maximum space and storage (IMHO). You can unhook and use your truck as your getaround vehicle. And, you can drive it when not camping. With a C (or an A), you turn a car into a trailer and then back to a car when at your campsite. And, when not camping, the thing sits on a pad in our drive...just like a 5vr would....but with an engine/trans/drivetrain to maintain.

Wish we were ready to FT but got to wait just a bit. And our C will be ready and up to the task!