cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another Patriot Act Issue

ricklord2001
Explorer
Explorer
A while ago I had an issue with a Kohl's credit card that I had they needed a verification of address and my St Brendans Isle mailing address had been flagged as a commercial mailing account. I really didn't want the card, my wife had signed me up for it, so I just canceled it no problem. Well we just got a letter from one of my wife's retirement accounts with the same issue they will not accept the Commercial mailing address. now the kicker all funds have been frozen in that account until we can provide a valid, non commercial address. Luckily we don't need the money right now and are currently
having a house built that should be complete by the end of the year.
BUT if this happens to my Bank Account or any of the several other accounts we have we could be for lack of a better term screwed.
I just spoke to the owner of the mailing service and he said he's never heard of anyone having there account placed on hold because of this, we're going to call and talk to management, hopefully we'll be able to resolve this. I'll update if anyone is interested.
17 REPLIES 17

4X4Dodger
Explorer II
Explorer II
Most banks allow you to change your address online. I did it this way and had no problems.

Do as much as you can online.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
The Escapees mail forwarding service has been proven in the courts to be a legal address. We've used it for 16 years and have had no issues with any of our banking (Fidelity, Vanguard, Wells Fargo) or credit cards.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hmmm, pretty interesting because I use a PMB at SBI (mentioned above) and never have any issues with VISA cards or mail or packages delivered.

I haven't tried any NEW cards, but have had the same cards with credit union for about twenty years. it always mails direct to the PMB. New credit might make a difference??
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

ricklord2001
Explorer
Explorer
4X4Dodger wrote:
These kinds of addresses are NOT Commercial. They are reffered to as PMB's A personal mail box. The post office knows them because anyone recieving mail for you must be regiseterd with the USPS as doing so.

Any company who wants to verify your address can find out if it is a PMB.

Some companies care...others dont.

The patriot Act does not enter into to it except that the company that operated the PMB must register with the USPS.

And this is a real problem for many. Many companies wont deal with a PMB address.

I would just use a relatives address for those accounts.

That's what I'm going to try Monday, use my sisters as an address and use the pmb as my mailing address.

4X4Dodger
Explorer II
Explorer II
These kinds of addresses are NOT Commercial. They are reffered to as PMB's A personal mail box. The post office knows them because anyone recieving mail for you must be regiseterd with the USPS as doing so.

Any company who wants to verify your address can find out if it is a PMB.

Some companies care...others dont.

The patriot Act does not enter into to it except that the company that operated the PMB must register with the USPS.

And this is a real problem for many. Many companies wont deal with a PMB address.

I would just use a relatives address for those accounts.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Patriot Act was not allowed to expire. They just changed a 'few' things.
NONE of which gave us back our rights that the act takes away.

And yes the term 'Patriot' gives us all a warm fuzzy feeling. Can't be anything wrong with an act named that, right? Which is why 99.99% of the population never read it and still haven't. 😞

https://www.aclu.org/text-usa-patriot-act

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Geocritter
Explorer
Explorer
It's interesting how whenever a government (not just ours) wants to screw people out of their civil rights they give the legislation a pretty name.

Steve

twotoes
Explorer
Explorer
I am not sure but I believe the Patriot Act expired early this year like in May. If it is still in force the Act does allow you to use a family members address. Also you can tell the bank the the mail forwarding address is only your mailing address and still use a family members address as the actual address of record for your account.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Luckily we don't need the money right now and are currently
having a house built that should be complete by the end of the year.

You were given an address for the house being built so really you have no problem. Use THAT address and go to your local post office and have your mail forwarded for 6 months. If house is not done you can have your mail forwarded for another 6 months.

Actually you can do that right on line. AND the post office will forward it ANYWHERE.

BUT if this happens to my Bank Account or any of the several other accounts we have we could be for lack of a better term screwed.

Yes. And here is a tip regarding bank accounts for those that don't have a real address.

They are clamping down and due to the id act/patriot act, they, the gov is using a data base that recognizes mailing services as NOT a real address. This data base is being accessed by banks, etc.

This has happened to me. I left my bank account in my sticks address and went e-billing, banking on line.

Worked fine Until......your cards expire and they send the new ones to your old address, are returned back to the bank and they can not forward them. They are destroyed.

I was 'forced' to update my bank account address when my debit cards expired so I could receive the new card thru my mailing service.

I called the 800 number for my bank and in 1 second flat it came back as NOT being a real address. I panicked now I am 3,000 miles from home and no access to my money because my cards had expired. I told them they must be wrong and said to not change the address.

The answer to this problem which you will have when your cards expire is to call your old 'local' bank phone number and change your address thru them.

They changed my address and were not 'required' to run it thru the gov data base as the main bank via the 800 number is.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

J_R2
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
YES.......mail forwarding address are classified as 'commercial' address.
They ARE a business after all.

This same issue has happened with Medical Insurance & Investment Brokers.

First .....
Call and discuss with them your Mail Forwarding Address. IF still NO ask about a PO Office BOX or a Private Box with UPS etc.

IF still NO...........use the address for house being built.
You obviously have 'ties' to that house as it is being built for you
(Or do you mean a house in housing track that are being developed?)
Great info. I did not know that. We have a forwarding service we use when traveling. USPS to forwarding service to us. Yes i am aware of patriot act. Very broad piece of legislation. Still please try your best to speak to involved parties.
Ron & Joanne 06 Revolution LE 40E

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
If this is a Patriot Act issue, then it's probably the financial institution's CIP (Customer Identification Program).

If they don't accept a commercial address, then they should accept the address of your next of kin as the Patriot Act requires.
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35’ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41’ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31’ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
YES.......mail forwarding address are classified as 'commercial' address.
They ARE a business after all.

This same issue has happened with Medical Insurance & Investment Brokers.

First .....
Call and discuss with them your Mail Forwarding Address. IF still NO ask about a PO Office BOX or a Private Box with UPS etc.

IF still NO...........use the address for house being built.
You obviously have 'ties' to that house as it is being built for you
(Or do you mean a house in housing track that are being developed?)
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

ricklord2001
Explorer
Explorer
I guess you all haven't heard about the Patriot Act this isn't a scam. This is something the US Government put in place. Granted I thing this particular institution is taking it literally but this is not the first time our service has been hit with this it's quite common. Do a search on here of Patriot Act.

J_R2
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure what a commercial address is, other than a physical business building. Get a P.O. box. Call and ask for determination and what prompted this. Sounds very suspicious. Contact retirement fund, they may not even know. Sounds like scam.
Ron & Joanne 06 Revolution LE 40E