cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alaska domicile

Ro_n_Joe
Explorer
Explorer
Is there a reason why Alaska isn't considered with FL, SD and TX as a state to establish a full timing domicile? At least in Anchorage no sales taxes, no income tax and low vehicle registrations (I understand). Don't know yet if PPO Managed Care plans are available for those under 65 (just looked w/o success). We plan on getting a new Dutch Star 4369 and savings on sales tax alone
would be huge and worth flying to Alaska to establish a domicle. They even have a Permanent Fund Dividend where they payout oil income to residents each year.
2020 Dutch Star 4328 on FL Chassis
2018 Grand Cherokee Limited
Ready Brute Elite Towbar & Road Master Wiring
13 REPLIES 13

Ro_n_Joe
Explorer
Explorer
AlaskaShooter; I didn't consider RV insurance costs and surprised it's so high for your rig at $5347 via staying with WA! Might be high via AK too. Any chance to let us know where you chose to go? Seems like you're closer to going than us in 2019. Saving on sales tax would be great. I'd be OK with 3% sales tax going with SD but PPO plans not available in the state.

It's good to see there's PPO Managed Care Plans are available in AK. That's a big hurdle.

Trackrig; will for sure obtain drivers licences from the state we chose to domicile from and buying the DS 4369. I don't want to take any chances...

The Alaska PFD checks are certainly out for full timers and that's ok (should be that way). We certainly plan to see Alaska for the 2nd-3rd yr of full timing and again maybe later. Will rarely be in the state.

AlaskaShooter
Explorer
Explorer
I lived in Alaska for 25 years and remember the 1st PFD checks being dispersed. Over the years people have attempted lots of forms of fraud to claim residency and been prosecuted for those attempts.

We are shopping for a new coach and also looking to claim residency in another state for sales tax, registration, driver's license etc to eliminate the additional cost of veh. taxes etc in WA.

It's all a BIG chess match. You have to save money where you can. Our current insurance provider, State Farm wants $5,347.00 a year to insure our new coach. Our home, 1,800 sq feet and garage 2,000 sq ft are $1,050.00 a year. WTH is up with that?
2006 F-550, Crew cab, 4x4 w/factory bed getting 12 mpg @ 50,000 miles
2006 Lance 1191
2006 Wells Cargo 14' Cycle Wagon
2017 Grand Design 5th wheel with EezTire TPMS
2017 F-450 4x4 crew cab King Ranch

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
For jury duty they draw the people from driver's and hunting licenses and the PFD list. They would take a very dim view of claiming residency without having an AK driver's license - you're to have within 90 days of residency, except for the military.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

bobsallyh
Explorer II
Explorer II
How about court summons? I don't know how lenient they may be.

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes, don't try filing for the PFD if you don't meet the requirements. Last year because we were outside for a few days over the limit we didn't file for it. They prosecute several people every year for it.

And, if you file for it from a computer that's not in the State, they can tell it and will denie your application until you jump through a bunch of hoops to prove you are a resident.

We have friends who filed for the application while on vacation and they had a lot of problems. I don't know if it's still this way, but if employees of BP (British Petroleum) filed the application from work, their computer servers are actually stateside which then caused the applications to be denied. They had to put out warnings each year telling people not to use their work computers to file for the PFD.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
Ro"n"Joe wrote:
Don't know yet if PPO Managed Care plans are available for those under 65 (just looked w/o success).

Premera BCBS of AK has 5 nationwide ACA PPO plans in each state county.

To see what's available, use www.healthsherpa.com.
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35’ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41’ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31’ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

lazyboy
Explorer
Explorer
I lived in Alaska for 47 years. The cost of living in Anchorage is 30%-40% higher than where I now live in Florida.
You have to be a resident for one year prior to being eligible to collect a PFD. You can not be gone for more than either 60 or 90 consecutive days in a year to be eligible for the PFD.
They do have some attractive senior benefits but the trade off isn't worth it to me.

Ro_n_Joe
Explorer
Explorer
ksg5000 wrote:
Ro"n"Joe wrote:
Thanks for the posts! Missing out on the Permanent Fund Dividend isn't a deal breaker.

You might want to call the DMV as well - Alaska isn't very close and if they require you to renew driver licenses and registration in person that might get expensive.

According to the State Website, can mail registrations $100. Don't think there's vehicle inspections either.

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Ro"n"Joe wrote:
Thanks for the posts! Missing out on the Permanent Fund Dividend isn't a deal breaker.

You might want to call the DMV as well - Alaska isn't very close and if they require you to renew driver licenses and registration in person that might get expensive.
Kevin

Ro_n_Joe
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the posts! Missing out on the Permanent Fund Dividend isn't a deal breaker. Right now our 1st choice is FL because of PPO Managed Care Coverage plans for those under 65. FL 6% sales tax won't be fun though on the new rig. LLC is now not a consideration because of new costs recently imposed in NV.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
I believe a TV person went to jail over their family claiming to be AK residents when they did not live there year round but cashed their checks...you can forget getting the oil payment as a FTer. It still might be worth it but OR, and NH have no sales tax.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
My recollection is that all Alaskan residents get a check from the State each year - as such they are real picky about who they call residents. You likely have to spend a certain amt of days in Alaska each year and things like health insurance may also be higher.
Kevin

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
Alaska is very flexible with folks on military transfers, but picky about Domicile because of the funds they pay their citizens. My understanding is they require 1 year of full time residency to establish that you are a full time resident before the fund money kicks in. What status you could apply for before that I dont know.
If you will have no income but a retirement or pension, you may qualify for the medicaid expansion. Ak is one of the expansion states under the ACA.
Living off savings isn't "income" therefore depending on how you are retiring, it may work for you.