cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

About 99% sure it will work.

emaav
Explorer
Explorer
The better half and myself think we have a plan of action kinda.

We are both on disability so stable income is taken care of.

After all bills are taken care of (car payment, health ins, vehicle ins, meds, phones, internet and food. We will have about $400 left over for fuel a month. We want to travel and see the country. Time is not an issue but we want to try and boondock as much as possible and take advantage of the BLM land for the 21 days a month.

We have led interior lights, 200 watts of solar, an extra 35 gallon H2O bladder for the truck bed.

Our home state would be Oregon, the question I am asking is where should we go first?

Looking foward to your ideas and replies..
Me (Eli)
Better Half (Trinity)
2 cats
1999 Chevy 3500
1993 Shadow Cruiser 21F21RD
42 REPLIES 42

emaav
Explorer
Explorer
"T" stands for Time or Take Off.
Me (Eli)
Better Half (Trinity)
2 cats
1999 Chevy 3500

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
Don't be discouraged by the naysayers, it can be done. First check out George's Blog He kept his mileage under 30 miles a day and rarely paid for a place to park. His tricks and advise will be very helpful. Also, since you have plenty of time, staying in one place for a week or so and exploring the area and then moving on will work. There are some on-line sites that list boondocking places and a couple of great books. Make sure you get a National passes and you'll get great discounts at National Parks and Forest campgrounds. Benchmark maps list most campgrounds
It will be super important that you keep up the maintenance on the rig and start a savings for those things that will wear out, like tires and batteries.
And lastly it will be hard, but you will have the time of your lives.

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
emaav wrote:
T-minus 32 days....
What does the "T" stand for?
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

emaav
Explorer
Explorer
T-minus 32 days....
Me (Eli)
Better Half (Trinity)
2 cats
1999 Chevy 3500

wannavolunteerF
Explorer
Explorer
I am always surprised at the folks that think they know the "best" way to go full-time (or even part-time) and how much money you have to have saved before you can take off. I see all the comments about putting money aside to buy another house, and I just want to scream. Not all of us will want to own a home when we are older. I am tired of the never ending maintenance my house requires and do not plan to go back into a house when I can't fulltime any more. My plans are to fulltime for 10-15 years give or take and then somewhere between 70 & 75 settle in an apt somewhere that has transportation options and let someone else worry about the maintenance.
2015 FR Georgetown 378TS

pawatt
Explorer
Explorer
If this your dream do it before it is too late. I know some who have done it for less. Traveling is much more relaxing when you take your time and have short travel days. Look for city park campgrounds. Most are very reasonable.
pawatt

ITguy
Explorer
Explorer
Don't let the naysayers get you down.

A lot of the rich guys in their million dollar "rock star" coaches wish that the campgrounds weren't "polluted" with us common folk. Had a guy like that a few sites down from me last weekend.

Screw 'em. Life's short, follow your dreams. If it doesn't work out, at least you tried. One less regret.

lovemytt
Explorer
Explorer
Good luck, have fun, happy trails.
2006 Dodge Ram Mega Cab Hemi Engine
2012 R-Vision Crossover 200

emaav
Explorer
Explorer
Despite everything we are still planing on hitting the road. Of course she just told me last night that we have to be back here at the end of Oct for a wedding..

So I will take that as a sign that we should try it out and see if she really will like it..
Me (Eli)
Better Half (Trinity)
2 cats
1999 Chevy 3500

MotorPro
Explorer
Explorer
I hope you didn't let the negativity from this forum stop your dream.I sounds like you had figured out all your costs and could make it work for you. Everyone lifestyle is differant and just because others could not live on your income does not mean that you couldn't. Good luck on whatever you decide to do. Life is too short to let others live it for you.

emaav
Explorer
Explorer
After some rethinking our plan. We are going to travel for a month then return to home base for a month. Which is a chunk of property with full hook ups which run us about $100 a month. The $400 is AFTER ALL OTHER BILLS, yes that includes vehicle issue ( if they happen, knock on wood). Plus our reserve of $150 per month.

We would like to think about this as an adventure of life so to speak.

I apologize if I got defensive or offended anyone. Was not my intention..

I thank everyone for your input and thoughts..Happy save travels..
Me (Eli)
Better Half (Trinity)
2 cats
1999 Chevy 3500

JAXFL
Explorer
Explorer
emaav wrote:
EXACTLY adayjk, you only life once. This is not about how far you can travel it is about the journey itself. If we find a place we like then we stay and enjoy the view for a week or so. As I said all of our bills are paid for. The $400 will give us about an 800 mile range....we are not in an hurry....

I have been around the world and the US and have seen alot of things but I never had the opportunity to actually look.

I/we have done the point A to point B with reservations.

I have to ask, how much of that $400 is going to be used for a campground. Even for a long period stay (3-6 months)it is going to run you more than $400 a month. Also what about the disablity, can you work at all, or will that stop the money? IF you cannot work, and really only have $400 a month that you can use, You might think about little short trips, but then again here in Florida I can go thru $400 in campground fees, really fast. Lord help you if you need reapirs, this is not a great idea in MHO. A 1 June - 17 July trip was 3819 miles and ran $3612 not counting food and entertainment
Happy Trails
JAXFL
2008 3100LTD Sun Seeker
2008 Chevy Colorado Z71 4x4 Auto Toad

trailertraveler
Explorer
Explorer
emaav wrote:
...We are both on disability so stable income is taken care of...We want to travel and see the country. Time is not an issue but we want to try and boondock as much as possible and take advantage of the BLM land for the 21 days a month...
What is your definition of travel and see the country? Is staying in Quartzsite for 6-7 months what you have in mind? Is working or volunteering x hours per week for x weeks/months in your plan? Does your disability have any medical/work ability re-examinations that volunteering/workamping might jeopardize your entilements? Have you talked to your doctors about getting any prescriptions you might need renewed while on the road without an office visit?

As far as I know, there is no BLM land East of the Mississippi. There are National Forests and many do allow dispersed camping and the America the Beautiful Access Pass gives discounts at Forest Service Campgrounds including a partial discount on some with electric service.

Others have mentioned that $400is not much for fuel. We often burn as much fuel exploring an area as we do getting there. For example, last fall we towed the trailer about 1000 miles around New Mexico (1000/11=91Galx$3.80=$345). However, we actually spent just over $1,100 for fuel while in New Mexico. I would count on 50% of your fuel budget being for in and around travel, especially if your boondocking sites are very far from the places you want to go and see or need to go to get supplies.

Good Luck with whatever path you choose!
Safe travels!
Trailertraveler

jackdi
Explorer
Explorer
I hope everything goes great for your surgery.
We will say a prayer for you.
Amen. Go for it and be able to just follow your dream

Jack and Dianne
3320rs Columbus
Iowa
Living a dream