cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

WTH ! ! ! Tires

I was winterizing my rig today, and came across the issue pictured below. I have 5 seasons running them and was hoping for a 6th before replacing.. Looks like I will have new tires before heading out in the spring..

Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet
18 REPLIES 18

laknox
Nomad
Nomad

Major hit on a road hazard, for sure!

Lyle

2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Weird this came up, but I received an email from Simple tire stating they are having a sale.....

4 of the 215/75R17.5 S637 SP for $680 delivered

Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7

Well, I finally broke down and ordered my new tires.. 

went with the Saliun 215/75R17.5 SP version.. out the door for $644.00 for 4โ€ฆ. Picked them up today, date code is 52nd week of 2023.. Simple Tire was awesome

Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7

I don't think you'll go wrong with them!

Lyle

1936 John Deere Model A

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Cummins12V98 wrote:
ford truck guy wrote:
I figured it was road hazard, just surprised it was curb side, rear axle.. NTHING wrong on the tire in front of it.. Oh well, No sense covering for winter, they are just on for support over the next few months..

From what I have been told the rear tire is usually then one that gets road hazard damage because front tire hits it and causes it to flip and dig into rear tire.

My uncle learned from an "old tire guy" in Casa Grande AZ, that you always put the new tires on the rear of your truck and run them for a couple thousand miles (for him, about 6 weeks), then swap them to the front and put the other 2 new ones on the rear. Uncle was having issues with flats on the rear weekly whenever he put new tires on until the "old tire guy" gave him this tip. Reduced his flat frequency about 90%. I've been doing that ever since with my vehicles unless all 4 need to be done at once.

Lyle
1936 John Deere Model A

^^. Makes sense Ron.... Either way, I'm happy to find it before rolling down the road, and I was already talking about getting replacements so the thought is not that bad right now...
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
ford truck guy wrote:
I figured it was road hazard, just surprised it was curb side, rear axle.. NTHING wrong on the tire in front of it.. Oh well, No sense covering for winter, they are just on for support over the next few months..

From what I have been told the rear tire is usually then one that gets road hazard damage because front tire hits it and causes it to flip and dig into rear tire.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
ford truck guy wrote:

Over a lifetime I have realized most flats are the 2nd axle of a tandem. Nail or screw, (Yes I know that is not a nail hole), laying flat. Tire runs over, no harm done. But if that tire kicks it up on end, and a 2nd tire hits it before it falls, you got a hole.

If you do nothing else for the winter, make sure the hole is not pointed up. Water get in freeze can force hole deeper. If it gets deep enough to break belt it can blow-out. Less chance of trailer damage than running down road, but not 0

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
ford truck guy wrote:
MFL wrote:
Looks like a road hazard to me. You could change out with your spare, if you wanted to stretch another year, with no long distance travel in mind. If a separation though, the other tires may be soon to do the same.

Yup, safe bet, all new tires! Got my new tires/wheels from Gallagher tire, right next door to you. Good price, very helpful sales guy!

Jerry

Gallagher Tire in Pottstown? What did you get from them?

^^Spring City, Pa, but may be same as Pottstown, as Phone is the same?

I got new Provider STs mounted on new Vesper wheels, purchased as a combo. Sales guy sent pics of actual tires/wheels showing the DOT date code. They had 13 combos, my size, in stock, all similar date. Fast free shipping to my door. Bill Patroski, sales guy, took pics with his phone, while on his lunch, messaged to my phone.

You likely know him, since yall live in Pa.:B

MFL wrote:
Looks like a road hazard to me. You could change out with your spare, if you wanted to stretch another year, with no long distance travel in mind. If a separation though, the other tires may be soon to do the same.

Yup, safe bet, all new tires! Got my new tires/wheels from Gallagher tire, right next door to you. Good price, very helpful sales guy!

Jerry

Gallagher Tire in Pottstown? What did you get from them?
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7

Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
It's Road Hazard plain and simple. Those tires only loose the center three ribs. I know as I have lost many.

I went to Continental's nearly two years ago and have zero issues.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
I am with road hazard. Must have run over something with a sharp edge. Doesn't look like any kind of "normal" failure.

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yep, I'd say that's bona-fide road hazard damage.
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD