cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Winterizing - remove batteries or not?

happycamper1942
Explorer
Explorer
Do you remove your batteries when winterizing? I usually do but am thinking of leaving them in this year. I live on Vancouver Island where we get quite mild winters, very few days below freezing and the coldest I've known it is about -10 C. what about wrapping them with some insulation?
2008 Ford F350 crew cab short box PSD, 2021 TravelAir 90W camper
20 REPLIES 20

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Farmers, construction equipment operators, boaters with boats mooring kept & plenty of others leave batterys unattended for months at a time other than perhaps disconnecting them.

Batterys self discharge. The discharge rate will be determined by battery type, age & temperature.

The big thing is to remove the parasite draws by disconnecting at the battery post.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

djousma
Explorer
Explorer
No problem leaving them in the trailer outdoors as long as they are completely disconnected. either with a lead disconnected, or a battery disconnect that fully disconnects everything. Most RV supplied disconnects do not disconnect various detectors, etc and that parasitic drain will kill the battery over the winter.
Dave
2016 F350 Lariat 4x4 FX4 SRW CC SB 6.7 Magnetic Metallic
2017 Forest River Cardinal 3850RL

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer
I bring them in the garage and hook them up to my battery mimder and let them keep charged up and let it do its desulfation thang

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

rsgs
Explorer
Explorer
Same here. I pull the batteries from both 5th wheels and all batteries are set on a 2x8 on the garage floor with a bank of trickle chargers. Take care of your batteries and they will be there for you when needed.

John and Robyn
Penny (Brittany)
ยท2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD SRW 4x4 Crew LB
ยท2004 Fleetwood/Prowler Regal Extreme Edition 2952 Bunk
-2005 Forest River 28RK

[img][/img]

hondapro
Explorer
Explorer
I take mine out and store in my garage and have it on a battery tender,to keep it charged.

As stated above it will not hurt them leaving them in,just be sure to keep them charged.
Steve
2023 Ram 3500 6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel
2022 Keystone Sprinter 32BH
B&W Companion

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Jerry.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Super_Dave wrote:
If the battery drops below 12v while disconnected is it a result of the cold or a sign of a bad battery?

If battery was disconnected, with 0 draw, and start out charge at 12.6-12.8, the cold should not take it down to 12. If at 12, about 50 percent, it could freeze at Winter temps below 0.

If dropping to 12v, or less in a short while, even when very cold, I'd suspect a weak battery.

Jerry

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
If memory serves me correctly it has to get to below -70 degrees to freeze a fully charged battery. The cases I have read where people have frozen battery issues are those where they left their batteries on line and parasitic draws have depleted them and they froze. Disconnect the battery and leave them in place - my 02.
Kevin

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
Never do. I makes sure they are charged near maximum and I turn off the switch that shuts every thing down. It's a motor home. Don't know if all RVs have that feature. I start the MH and generator every few weeks for added charge. The batteries seem to last about as expected and it will get below zero here. Oh, we do usually leave for the South during mid-winter.
Jayco-noslide

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
If the battery drops below 12v while disconnected is it a result of the cold or a sign of a bad battery?
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
My batts are outside animals.

Anyhow,I don't see how wrapping them in insulation will help any.

RoyF
Explorer
Explorer
I like to run my generators (Hondas) once a month during the winter. I let them run for an hour and that gives the batteries enough of a recharge to keep them at 100% charge during the off-season.

diftw
Explorer
Explorer
I keep our in and keep power to the camper/battery during the winter. Have been doing this for years.
Dave and Anne
2016 Grand Design 337RLS
2015 Ford F350 XLT 6.7l 4x4
Reese Elite 18K Hitch
Rotochocks
Rota Flex by Trail Air Pin Box
Barker 4-wheel 25 gallon tote
Nights Camped in 2009 - 33
2010 - 37
2011 - 31

2012 - 35
2013 - 42
2014 - 45
2015 - 46
2016 - 51
2017 - 43

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I leave mine in the TT with a good 3 stage converter taking care of them.