cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Winter heated hose not working

Coach-man
Explorer
Explorer
Last year I purchased a heated water hose so we could camp in winter conditions. It worked well, we camped in temps of 15 degrees and never had an issue. Yesterday, it got Waay down to 28 for a brief time and no water! The hose was frozen solid. I was under the impression that the light in the plug indicated there was no problems, shorts or opens, in the electrical. Is there anything serviceable or do I need to junk it and buy a new one?
14 REPLIES 14

Mike_LeClair
Explorer
Explorer
Just had ours die a couple of days ago, frozen solid. It was just going into it's third winter so only 14 months of actual "on" time. I replaced it with a home made water hose heat tape set up. It cost $100.00 to make one VS $150.00 to buy a pre made heated hose. Before anyone jumps on the exorbitant cost of building one please note that I am in Canada, land of the forever financially screwed and over charged for everything.

Cheers!

Mike
Something Old, Something New
2012 F350 SRW, 6.7l Powerstroke, 3.55's front and rear.
2008 Fleetwood Regal 325RKTS
Mike, Carol and our 4 legged "furry child" Kenzie Shweenie Tod

debili
Explorer
Explorer
Check reset button inside electric box hookup mine has been off three different times all I needed was to reset inside the box on the outlet. Now that's first thing I
I check.

DJB66
Explorer
Explorer
I used mine for a year then it went bad. Nothing like fixing water problems in 5 degree temps with snow. I now use my white hose cut to the length I need. Wrap it in aluminum foil to spread the heat around the hose. Use the heat wrap from the store but I get one that is longer so I can have extra on each end, then use the hose insulation and wrap that in duct tape. If I have a issue I have a extra heat tape and hose. Within a hour I can have water back running.

Aridon
Explorer
Explorer
Good advice here. Either make your own with some heat tape and insulation or fill the tank and use that depending on your needs / length of stay.
2019 Grand Design Momentum 395
2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10

2014.5 DRV Atlanta (sold)

2008 Newmar 4330 (Modified) Sold

edatlanta
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
Consider using your tank and pump instead.

This is what I have been doing for the past 7 winters full time. I keep my fresh water tank full and unhook from shore water when it is going to get below freezing. I bring my pressure reducer inside (my two stage water filter is always in the basement) and leave the hose outside but unhooked and on a slight angle so it drains and is available for use even if the temp is still below freezing. You can fill up your tank even when below freezing as long as your faucet isn't frozen or is a below ground valve type. Then use the onboard pump as long as needed.

No expensive heated hose to fail or not work.

Works for me.
Ed
KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS,Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP
Fulltime since 2010

Coach-man
Explorer
Explorer
Yes that is what we are doing, The fresh water tank is full, and I switched over to using that! Seems odd to "dry camp" when at full hook up!

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
2oldman wrote:

Exactly.....

We always just fill tank and use pump
Then during day time when temps are up.....refill tank

Already keeping RV warm so don't have to worry about a hose.

Besides.....CG water system has to be working or it doesn't matter
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

joelc
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yes, the light on the heat tape should be on. Then if it is going to get cold for extended period of time, you have to get the foam pipe wrap. They sell it in Lowes and Home Depot and probably hardware stores. Measure the length you need and purchase that quantity. I forget the width. Put it around the hose and heat tape

I have 3 heat tapes for my 25' hose.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
GrumpyandGrandma wrote:
You didn't have the thermostat in a protected area by some chance.

That's what I was thinking. Is the stat under some kind of insulation?

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

GrumpyandGrandm
Explorer
Explorer
You didn't have the thermostat in a protected area by some chance.
Grandma in front of her retirement home..
She lets Grumpy drive!!

Chrisatthebeach
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
Really expensive for one season. Consider making your own from a regular white hose some insulation wrap and a commercially available heat tape.

x2. I did this and used it for 3 winters full timing. It stayed on 24/7 and never failed me. Temps into the single digits without any problems.
Chris & Dianne
Jayco Designer 3110 SOLD 6-11-2016, looking for the next one.
F250 PSD 4x4 Crew Cab

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
Light probably only indicates that it has power. Unless you can find the 'open' and repair it, need to get new one.

Might just get a heat tape and wrap it around your hose,
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE
SKYWARN Weather Spotter

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Really expensive for one season. Consider making your own from a regular white hose some insulation wrap and a commercially available heat tape.