cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Winnebago 5th wheel

12th_Man_Fan
Explorer
Explorer
Looking at a Winnebago 5th wheel. I did not know they made towables until I saw one at the Fall RV show in Dallas. I was very impressed.

I understand they bought out Sunnybrook.

Does anyone have any feedback on the Winne 5th wheel? Other than the Lippert frame and leveling system I was very impressed.

The factory rep that I spoke to told me that Lippert built the frames to their specs.

Any info appreciated.
2014 GMC Duramax 4X4 DRW Crew

2015 DRV Tradition
21 REPLIES 21

vankids
Explorer
Explorer
Have a 2012 Raven 2980BH which we bought at RV show based on show model and floorplan. Unit checked all the boxes for layout, finish and $. Dealer corrected issues we identified on pickup and in first year. Biggest issue was rear bumper. Only thing attached to it is spare tire and after 18 months noticed bumper was "pealing" off of the frame extensions. Welds were fine just the metal quality was poor. Was not worth the fight with the dealer for repairs, i welded supports from frame to under the bumper and all is good. Have worked up thru tent trailers and trailers all in mid price/quality range and all have had their minor issues as does this fifth wheel. I have a home that i live in, RV is for 4 to 6 weeks a year. I take care of unit, use it for 8 to 10 years and then have been able to sell it for reasonable $

02CAMP
Explorer
Explorer
My "OK" rating was based solely on my experience with our previous campers, Jayco pop up, Thor Aerolite 5er, Jayco hybrid followed by 2 Jayco 5ers. It has never been within our budget to purchase an RV as nice or as well built as Mobile Suites or as well appointed as Redwood by Thor. The main reasons we chose the Winnie was our TV capabilities, floor plan and Winnebago's reputation regarding customer service. I knew going in; you don't get an $80K- $100K RV for $30K. So I guess I will stick with "SAME OL' LIGHT AND CHEAP".
2006 Ford F-250 6.0 PSD 3.73 LSD
2013 Winnebago Lite Five 30FWRES
16K Reese Slider, Tow Command, Magellan GPS

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
ol Bombero-JC wrote:
Obviously, the Bottom Line is....

what the level of - good, better, best...

is in the eye (and budget) of the beholder..:S

One man's "great!" - may only rate as "just OK" to someone else.

~

True Dat!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
Obviously, the Bottom Line is....

what the level of - good, better, best...

is in the eye (and budget) of the beholder..:S

One man's "great!" - may only rate as "just OK" to someone else.

~

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
12th Man Fan wrote:
Well, I am glad I asked before I wasted any more of my time or anyone else time looking at them. I was very impressed at the curb appeal but the real problems are what you can't see.

Mod, you can delete this one if you want, I think I have my answer.

Go to Winnebago owners forums and you may find a different result. Search here for Winnebago Minnie Winnie TT's and I think you'll find almost all happy owners! My prior trailer was a StarCraft (Now Jayco). No comparison. Winnie is far better built.
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2014 Winnebago Lite Five 26FWRKS and love it after 1 1/2 years and a couple dozen trips. I do not understand the comments here mostly from those that do not own a Winnebago 5th. We looked at numerous 5'ers and in the weight and price range we wanted the Winnebago was far superior.

Tailgate opens with room to spare. Not sure what truck anyone had trouble with. No need for a V gate.

The cabinets, drawer slides were much more solidly built that the Jayco or Heartland XLT's. Ours has 16" rims rather than Heartlands 15".

When replacing stereo speakers in the ceiling I noticed 1/2" thick plywood rather than the thin fiber board on the Jayco and Heartlands.

The hatch doors are solidly built 3/4" rather than others 1/2".

Basement storage is free from all plumbing lines unlike many competitors where pipes block full length access.

Front cap painted which I greatly prefer.

Gelcoat method is closer to higher end 5'ers. Looks much nicer.

Corian kitchen counters are nice!!

Overall the fit and finish and construction techniques were far above every single other brand in the weight and price range we looked....and we looked at a lot!! That said, I do not like the floorplans of their latest Voyager line which replaces the Lite Five series.
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

12th_Man_Fan
Explorer
Explorer
Well, I am glad I asked before I wasted any more of my time or anyone else time looking at them. I was very impressed at the curb appeal but the real problems are what you can't see.

Mod, you can delete this one if you want, I think I have my answer.
2014 GMC Duramax 4X4 DRW Crew

2015 DRV Tradition

robrose1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a 2013 Winnebago Lite Five 29fwrls. I have not any problems with the appliances I am very disappointed in the woodwork. Several pieces of moulding kept falling down because they drove the staples to far thru the wood. This summer the bottom of the overhead cabinets in the main slide detached from the cabinets. No glue was used just staples. I glued the bottoms and used 1 1/2 screws. Blew chinese made tire on second trip causing 3K damages. I understand Winnebago has now gone to 16in tires. Trailer tows nicely. Dealing with factory reps at Winnebago sucks. I would not buy another Winnebago.
Rob and Rose
2013 Winnebago Lite Five 29FWRLS
2006 GMC DURAMAX/ALLISON

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
From what I remember it has E junk tires and axles barely heavy enough to do the job and the standard 12" I beam frame.

Same Ol light and cheap!

They do LOOK nice.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

02CAMP
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure which model you're looking at. We have a 2013 Lite Five which has been renamed the Voyager. I'm also not sure about the tail gate issue since we can open and close with it hooked up to our short bed. Maybe a long bed is a different story. Build quality is OK for an entry level camper. Overall we have been pleased with the camper and Winnebago. If you have specific questions, let me know.
2006 Ford F-250 6.0 PSD 3.73 LSD
2013 Winnebago Lite Five 30FWRES
16K Reese Slider, Tow Command, Magellan GPS

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
Don't know what model you're looking at, but we looked at one at one of the GoodSam Rallies, and thought it was extremely cheap, but not the price. All the interior Doors were completely Plastic and it smelled of Plastic.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
bfast54 wrote:
Lets see.....start with a design flaw in the basic premise that of course I would know you need to hook it up to your truck to use it :E
and then things quickly go downhill from there:S
Trailer life found a Number of Design flaws....Wait a year or two...till they "Fix" those...

Trailer Life:
See no evil, report no evil....AND....
*NEVER*, never offend an advertiser!..:S

Whatever "flaws" the person who submitted in the article (review) to TL *had to be* minuscule, and/or so blatantly obvious.....or it would never had made it to print..:R

Add your own - "read between the lines"....paragraphs!..:W

Believe someone you trust!
Do your own "hands-on and eyes-on" in-person reviews..;)

~

MM49
Explorer
Explorer
If you buy a Winnebago product, you had better be a dam good mechanic. The only thing worse than their products is the company.

A Winnebago owner;
MM49

bfast54
Explorer
Explorer
Lets see.....start with a design flaw in the basic premise that of course I would know you need to hook it up to your truck to use it :E
and then things quickly go downhill from there:S
Trailer life found a Number of Design flaws....Wait a year or two...till they "Fix" those...
2000 Ford SuperDuty F-350 Powerstroke,Dually.C.C.,.The Tow Monster
2005 Open Road 357RLDS
Prodigy Brake Controller:B
Honda EU3000is Generator
Raytek ,,Garmin 7735/GPS
Doran Mfg-RV360-TPMS
B&W/Companion

Rally's attended so far-21

My Blog
Good Sam Member