cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What type of hitch do I need?

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
While not new to Rv-ing - we've always owned class A's - as some of you know we finally made a decision on a FW. It's a 2020 FR Cedar Creek Silverback 29RW. Unloaded 11k, GVWr 14k, Pin weight 2,350 (we are planning to add a W/D in the future, I am guessing that will impact that). My truck is a new 2020 F350 STX 6.7l 4x4 with 8 foot bed. If I understand the 8 foot bed keeps me from having to have a slider. The truck does not have pucks installed so it's a total install job on the hitch. I am negotiating with the dealer to have them throw in the hitch or at least the labor to install. He says it's a 4 hour job.

I am not looking for a top of the line hitch, but a middle of the road is fine. What should I be asking him to install? (this may be dependent on what he has available - he's saying he has supply issues due to COVID)

What should I expect to pay?

Thanks all for the continued help. This truck and FW shopping is a totally new experience and you guys have really made this easier.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS
35 REPLIES 35

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Since Way2roll has made his purchase now seems like a good time to close this one. You guys can continue to have your fun on another thread though until it gets too far into hy-jack territory and unfair to the original poster. That is why I deleted the previous off-topic posts. Enjoy the weekend! 🙂
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
bpounds wrote:
You'll be happy with your Curt. Don't let all the hitch-war nonsense that goes on here worry you. There isn't a single thing that is a must-have on a B&W.

Its too bad that it happens, I wouldn't hesitate to buy Curt ,Reese etc. The OP sounds perfectly happy with the Curt. Yes nonsense about the chucking etc.

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
BarneyS wrote:
Way2roll,
I am sorry but didn't mean to hyjack your thread. I am going to take out all my and the others "off topic" posts so your thread can get back on track. Some of us were just having some fun. Sorry for the hyjack.
Barney

No problem at all! I like sillyness as much as anyone.

To close this thread out; I got the Curt 16k hitch from the dealer at a price match from Etrailer, and Leonard's did the install for about $50 less than the quote ($280). So was very happy about the cost. Towed the new FW home and despite being my first time ever towing a FW, it was super easy. Backing it into my storage spot wasn't bad and hookup and unhooking was a breeze. There was no play in the hitch at all. I'm also really happy with the new truck. The ride towing the FW is so much more pleasant than our previous gas class A's.

Thanks everyone for the help!

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
BarneyS wrote:
Way2roll,
I am sorry but didn't mean to hyjack your thread. I am going to take out all my and the others "off topic" posts so your thread can get back on track. Some of us were just having some fun. Sorry for the hyjack.
Barney

Hey sometimes it’s good to Kidd around!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
You'll be happy with your Curt. Don't let all the hitch-war nonsense that goes on here worry you. There isn't a single thing that is a must-have on a B&W.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Way2roll,
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
way2roll wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
way2roll wrote:
I appreciate the input.

Tweety's was more expensive with the hitch and rails than Etrailer or my dealer. But it's a moot point, the Curt is a done deal. Unless someone can provide some input as to why Curt won't work or it's a bad choice, I am not switching horses mid-stream. Like I said, the B&W was a "nice to have", not a "have to have". I feel sure the Curt will be just fine.

Moving on.

You asked, the CURT is Made in CHINA and can be a real bear to unhitch. YES I have used one.

Sell what you have, buy the B&W and have one less issue to deal with while RVing.

B&W sets the price and most sell at that price.

Maybe I am missing something. Per Curt's website and other reviews:
"All CURT custom receiver hitches are made in the USA, meaning they are engineered, fabricated, welded, finished, tested and finally shipped out from our headquarters in Eau Claire, Wisconsin.

From design to finish, we do everything here on American soil because we believe in providing products of the utmost quality for our customers."

And it's not just Curt's website, every reference I pull up to see where they are made, all say USA.

Several sites reviewing these hitches cite the 16k Curt hitch as a great hitch. The only complaints were about packaging and shipping and damage to items once arrived. Which seem more to do with Fed Ex or UPS than Curt.

Again, not arguing B&W isn't a great hitch but I can't find any solid evidence the Curt is a poor choice. All this is a moot point, it's a done deal. I will try it, if I am ok with it then so-be-it. I have other fish to fry. If I don't like it, I can always change it out.

Yes the Curt custom receiver hitches are made in the US ,the Curt fifth wheel hitches are made in China ,but so is the Sailun fifth wheel tires ,the BEST fifth wheel tire on the market. So I would not lose any sleep over it. My Ram truck is made in Mexico, with probably more parts then I can count made in China .

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
Cummins12V98 wrote:
way2roll wrote:
I appreciate the input.

Tweety's was more expensive with the hitch and rails than Etrailer or my dealer. But it's a moot point, the Curt is a done deal. Unless someone can provide some input as to why Curt won't work or it's a bad choice, I am not switching horses mid-stream. Like I said, the B&W was a "nice to have", not a "have to have". I feel sure the Curt will be just fine.

Moving on.

You asked, the CURT is Made in CHINA and can be a real bear to unhitch. YES I have used one.

Sell what you have, buy the B&W and have one less issue to deal with while RVing.

Maybe I am missing something. Per Curt's website and other reviews:
"All CURT custom receiver hitches are made in the USA, meaning they are engineered, fabricated, welded, finished, tested and finally shipped out from our headquarters in Eau Claire, Wisconsin.

From design to finish, we do everything here on American soil because we believe in providing products of the utmost quality for our customers."

And it's not just Curt's website, every reference I pull up to see where they are made, all say USA.

Several sites reviewing these hitches cite the 16k Curt hitch as a great hitch. The only complaints were about packaging and shipping and damage to items once arrived. Which seem more to do with Fed Ex or UPS than Curt.

Again, not arguing B&W isn't a great hitch but I can't find any solid evidence the Curt is a poor choice. All this is a moot point, it's a done deal. I will try it, if I am ok with it then so-be-it. I have other fish to fry. If I don't like it, I can always change it out.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
way2roll wrote:
I appreciate the input.

Moving on.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
way2roll wrote:
I appreciate the input.

Moving on.

The Prez of the B&W Club can best answer this for you.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
I appreciate the input.

Moving on.

JKJavelin
Explorer III
Explorer III
I do not trust etrailer.
Last fall I bought an AirRide pinbox from them online. It said 'in stock' and 'ships today'. The next day I checked the Tracking with no results so I called them and they said it would ship that day. So the next day I checked the tracking again with no results, so I called them again and they said it was on back order. I looked at it online again and their website still says 'in stock', so I canceled my order and got it from Camping World for $150 less and it arrived at my house a few days later. Way better experience.
JK
2018 Ram 3500 Laramie Cummins 6.7
2016 Open Range RF316RLS
Titan Disc Brakes
Trailair pinbox
Morryde AllTrek 4000 w/ wetbolt kit
Demco Autoslide
570 watts of Solar

2017-2022 555 Nights
2023- 106 Nights

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
way2roll wrote:
MFL wrote:
Well that sucks, but yes they should sub the 18K, eating the price diff themselves. The 18K Patriot is same as 16K but welded base, rather than bolted together.

Jerry

Etrailer was willing to give me the 18k for the same price, problem is even though they say in stock, it won't get here til end of next week or beginning of the following week. Incidentally the same time as the one I ordered that's back ordered. I wonder if none of these are "in stock". My dealer was able to get his hands on a Curt 16k and can have it it time to keep my dates. I was leaning to the B&W but frankly I am not sure I care. I have owned Curt and Reese hitches in the past never had problem with either.

Contact Tweety's, don't settle for less.

Ditto !!!
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
way2roll wrote:
MFL wrote:
IMO, neither compare to the B&W. Will they work...sure. Would your dealer consider loaning a hitch to you, new demo or used one? I would definitely take the 18K Patriot, for the price of 16K, even if you have to change trip plans. I also have used several brands of hitches, and none came close to ease of use, and quality of the B&W. If you get the B&W rails and frame mounting brackets installed, most any rail mount hitch you can borrow/steal, will fit until your new B&W arrives. You will be happy you waited for the B&W!!

Jerry

I'm happy with the Curt. No doubt the B&W is a great hitch, but in looking at the Curt it seems like a decent hitch on it's own and will suffice I am sure. I am sure there are lots of satisfied Curt hitch owners. Changing plans now would be very costly and there are a lot of other factors in involved. It's all good. Like I said, I have owned Curt and Reese products before and have no issues or complaints. 2 weeks ago I wouldn't have known the difference between any of them. The B&W was a nice to have not a have to have. I'm not dying on that hill.

Reese, Curt , Pullrite are all good hitches . If it’s Curt you have , great .