cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What Size RV is Right for Full-Timing

WanderingWebste
Explorer
Explorer
We just sold our 33' travel trailer and are looking to buy a Fifth Wheel which we will start full-timing in at the end of this year.  We would like something with the roominess of a 40' or longer but we are seeing many people who are full-timing are downsizing to smaller RVs because of the problems and "scary situations" some of the bigger ones encounter.  We are looking for any and all comments/opinions anyone may have on this subject.

We are currently looking at a Jayco 38' RV which seems like a modest "in-between" length.  Again any and all opinions are welcome as we are stuck right now.
One more thing if it matters we are pulling with a 1 ton diesel dually.

Happy Camping to all.....
19 REPLIES 19

WanderingWebste
Explorer
Explorer
Again folks thanks for all the comments.  You have allowed us to rethink the size of our 5er because a lot of the floor plans we liked were in the 40-43 foot range.  We had ruled them out because of their length but i think this has a new perspective.  

Happy Camping to ALL

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our 1st fifth wheel was our 2955RL Monty, thought it was perfect, only 2 slides and could be used with the slides in if needed. First Winter Snowbirding we found a problem with lack of sufficient counter space for preparing meals. So we went bigger with three slides and much more counter space.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
When Abraham Lincoln was asked, "How long do you think a manโ€™s legs should be?" he replied, "Long enough to reach the ground.

Only you can determine what you need to live in, since everyone's feels differently about things. To some it's more important to be able to stay where ever they wish, while others want to travel and stay in comfort. Like the adult diapers: Depends.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
There are as many answers, as there are RVโ€™s. Everyone has different needs, and comfort desires. Much like folks having different ideas of the perfect place for their home. Some want a New York Penthouse, while others would much prefer a home in rural America with few to no neighbors. Put me in the rural America group, however, we prefer a large, high end 5th wheel. Of course, we try to use it in rural America! ๐Ÿ˜‰ memtb
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
IMO, anything from a 38'-44' should work. Heartland warranties their Big County, Big Horn and Landmarks for full time use. We went from a 35' bunkhouse w/ 4 people to a 41' non BH w/ 2 people couple years ago and LOVE it. In doing so, we also had to upgrade to a DRW cuz of weight of new coach so you HAVE to take this into consideration as well. Didn't want to get a new truck/DRW cuz we just bought a 1 ton SRW couple years before the coach thinking we'd be all set for anything.

So basically OP, your gonna have to do a lot of research on what floorplan you like and visit dealers lots. If at all possible, go to a RV show and check things out there.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

dblr
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 42' 5th wheel towed by a Kenworth full size road tractor and I have never had a issue getting in anywhere, now we do check areas out for future visits sometime and only once were we told a campground could not fit us but there were 2 other campgrounds there that could. Sometimes we have to park the truck elsewhere and only have the Smart at the camper but that's fine with us.
2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB
2001 Kenworth T2000
2009 Smart on the deck.

WanderingWebste
Explorer
Explorer
yea we tried trial runs (mach runs) to simulate fulltiming a few times in the 33 footer and noticed our buggest problem was storage. That is really not the issue in this question as much as problems towing and parking larger rigs in camp sites around the country.

Thanks again...

prstlk
Explorer
Explorer
We use google earth when looking at possible rv parks. So big rig friendly is not always the case. WE also use a short box with an Anderson hitch so our turning radius is not quite as good as a long bed. The best of advice I ever got was, "always plan your exit strategy"
2007 Keystone Challenger 5th wheel, Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7L Diesel, Short Bed, 2 dogs and the cat and rolling down the road full time since May 2014

WanderingWebste
Explorer
Explorer
thanks again folks for all the advise and opinions, it has opened our eyes a little more. Seems we always hear "if your full-timing then buy small - its just easier. But we like the roominess and i have the confidence to park about anywhere and will practice long and hard before hitting the road.

We will be moving on our first journey quite often with a couple week long stays like the grand canyon. After the initial "site seeing" journey for about 3 months we will settle down and only move about every 3 months.

again thanks for all the advisement

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
Did you try anything similar to "fulltiming" in the 33' travel trailer?
That could have taught you a lot about the choices and options.
Were thinking a Montana high country 310 will work for us, but we know the 28' Holiday Rambler tt we have now doesn't have enough storage.

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 38foot 5th wheel and in the 25 years we've traveled with it have never had a problem finding a spot to park. There are usually private RV parks outside of a national park that accommodates larger RVs. Drive into the national park to see the sights each day; come back to a RV park with full amenities at the end of the day. Pools, hot tubs, full hookups...etc.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
We've had a 41 foot fifth wheel for exactly a year now after a lifetime of travel trailer experience only. A couple week-ends ago I actually got this behemoth backed into a campsite that would have been a challenge for the "the best of them." I had it between the electric pole on one side, a tree on the other, and small branches actually touching the air conditioners and roof. The king pin was about 6 inches from the road, I blocked all campground traffic getting into the site, and there was a tree line about 4 feet out, on the other side of the campground road. But I got this puppy in! Then the slope of the campsite required a considerable amount of lumber under the jacks and the front landing gear was completely to the ground. By far, one of the most challenging sites I've done so far. And my wife said I handled it beautifully. I never lost my calm (or at least appeared not to) at all. "Inside" I was quivering with shear fright at this campsite! But I did it!

If I did it ... YOU CAN TOO! Get the biggest one you can afford. A little practice and you'll be able to park that puppy anywhere.

FYI .. absolutely NO problems driving on the road. It's not an issue, except for height. I do have to watch for low overpasses and sometimes take an alternate route. Other than that ... well ... my travel trailers probably wouldn't have made those overpasses either.

Good luck! Go for BIG! You'll appreciate the space. You are in the camper a LOT more sitting than when driving!

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
How often will you be moving? Forty feet is a lot of RV to move regularly and many state and federal campgrounds have length limits below that number.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
Check out the Grand Design 337RLS

35.5 feel long, rear living, opposing slides, washer dryer hookup, east/west full size queen bed, huge windows, TV directly across from recliners, lots of storage, and best of all, warranty is still valid if you use it for full time living - other manufacturers invalidate the warranty if your living in it.

We have the 2018 303RLS and thoroughly enjoy it. Have received excellent after warranty customer service from the factory. You can easily pull this with a 1 ton SRW TV - recommend diesel.

Good luck
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS