cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What Size RV is Right for Full-Timing

WanderingWebste
Explorer
Explorer
We just sold our 33' travel trailer and are looking to buy a Fifth Wheel which we will start full-timing in at the end of this year.  We would like something with the roominess of a 40' or longer but we are seeing many people who are full-timing are downsizing to smaller RVs because of the problems and "scary situations" some of the bigger ones encounter.  We are looking for any and all comments/opinions anyone may have on this subject.

We are currently looking at a Jayco 38' RV which seems like a modest "in-between" length.  Again any and all opinions are welcome as we are stuck right now.
One more thing if it matters we are pulling with a 1 ton diesel dually.

Happy Camping to all.....
19 REPLIES 19

topjimmy
Explorer
Explorer
was fulltiming with my wife and 2 cats and a dog for 8 years and in my opinion get the biggest one you can afford and your truck can haul,we started out in a 34 fter and that was too cramped for us and quickly went with the big boys, I have never had a problem either of finding a rv spot to fit in some are tighter than others but we have always been fine BUT after 8 years on the road we had enough of living in 420 sq feet and we finally settled down and bought a house but it was a great run:B
2015 Montana 3735MK Legacy,2007 3500HD GMC Dually LBZ Duramax/Allison ,Pacbrake,Firestone Airbags Bullydog Tuner

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
WanderingWebsters wrote:
thanks for the answers folks. I guess the real issue i am gathering is the parking side not the driving side and how many places are really available for the larger campers vs the smaller campers. the floor plans and designs are definitely a matter of opinion so the real question is in the length of the camper and is there any real problems parking the longer rigs and and having availability at the campgrounds?
thanks again

I've been traveling extensively for over 7 years with a > 40' rig. I've never found a destination that I couldn't go to. I have always been able to find a RV park or campground that we can fit into.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

WanderingWebste
Explorer
Explorer
thanks for the answers folks. I guess the real issue i am gathering is the parking side not the driving side and how many places are really available for the larger campers vs the smaller campers. the floor plans and designs are definitely a matter of opinion so the real question is in the length of the camper and is there any real problems parking the longer rigs and and having availability at the campgrounds?
thanks again

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
What size is the right size house? Or what car is best?

These things are personal questions and no one can answer it for you.

We have fulltimed for 4+ years, moving every 1-3 weeks (with an 8-night average) in > 40' rigs. First one was 42' and now we're in a 44' toy hauler.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
A 33' with a GOOD floor plan works for me.
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos