cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the dumbest things about your fifth wheel?

Fisher_Bill
Explorer
Explorer
We're looking to upgrade from the camper to a 5er and I saw this post on another group and found it very informative.

We are looking for a rear kitchen model because if we're watching a movie we don't want to look through the kitchen or the dinette not to mention you get twice as much counter space and seemingly more kitchen cabinet space.

We are contemplating a mid kitchen on units with rear living but what is the goofy things you've seen or experienced on your rig?

Bill
2006 Chevy 3500 Dually 6.6 Duramax Diesel & Allison Transmission
2010 Northshore 28RK by Dutchmen
Our first fifth wheel!!!
86 REPLIES 86

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
Fisher Bill wrote:
(I think he's messin wit ya);)
Cummins12V98 wrote:
avvidclif1 wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
This was pretty darn dumb! I guess they thought I was going to watch the TV from the foot of the bed near the TV.

Nope you are supposed to watch it laying in bed. If you want to sit up go to the living room.....

Don't think you understand or you are messing with me!

Or he doesn't understand that you took the pic from the head of the bed.

Debbie
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Forest River Columbus and love the layout. We can use the bathroom, sleep, eat without the slides out. Our entertainment center everyone can see the TV it is all in the rear. Kitchen in middle, what I love is the moveable island, My favorite.
I wanna go where I haven't been, but still wanna see what I've seen again!

Fisher_Bill
Explorer
Explorer
(I think he's messin wit ya);)
Cummins12V98 wrote:
avvidclif1 wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
This was pretty darn dumb! I guess they thought I was going to watch the TV from the foot of the bed near the TV.

Nope you are supposed to watch it laying in bed. If you want to sit up go to the living room.....

Our first fifth wheel!!!

Fisher_Bill
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies everyone, my wife and I got a good chuckle from a couple of them.

Buddy in the office next to mine mentioned that their Sprinter has a crook in the sewer line and won't let the family take a #2, he says it always clogs because of a small slant or s turn in the line and while he brings a plunger and a snake he said he hates dealing with those tools used.

He also mentioned the line was in the way in the storage area.

We have an interested party in the AF so we're hoping to go shopping for a 10-12 year old rig with rear kitchen soon.

Bill
Our first fifth wheel!!!

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
avvidclif1 wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Dutch___Di
Explorer
Explorer
While I can't add any "dumb" things to this topic, it sure makes our decision over the years to keep our 1996 38' triple Carriage. We can access everything when we stop for lunch dinner or to pull over and watch NASCAR or golf for a break without opening the slides. Bathroom is accessible also. The only slide we have to open is the bedroom but since we don't use the bed til we're settled for the night, we're good. I'm honestly not bragging but the things you all are talking about are things we saw every time we even thought about getting a new unit so we happily drive down the road in Old Faithful. We do upgrade, add something new, etc every few years to keep her fresh and new to us. Hugs, Di
2015 Western Brown Pearl single cab Ram 3500 Dually. Aisin Transmission, Pace Edwards auto rolltop cover, DeBoe Slide Step, AMP Side Steps.
1996/2010 Triple Slide Carriage, Mor/Ryde Susp, Kodiak Disc Brakes, Big Foot Auto Leveling System, TST TPMS

Bipeflier
Explorer
Explorer
The only "dumb" thing with our Cruiser is the basement access door can't be opened if the entry door is open and locked back. Not really a big deal, just sort of a pain in the neck.
2010 Cruiser CF30SK Patriot
2016 3500 Duramax
1950 Right Hand Seat GPS (she tells me where to go)

avvidclif1
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:

Clif & Millie
2009 Ford F350 SRW CC Lariat 6.4 Diesel
2015 Heartland Cyclone HD CY3418 Toy Hauler

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
Seems many confuse dumb things with cost-cutting things. Not pointing any fingers or criticizing, just commenting.

Examples:
Dumb - the one with the shade being 1" too low and hitting a door. Would not cost anything extra to raise the shade location.

Cost-cutting - would be great to have a second landing gear switch on the other side. But that's not dumb. It would cost one dollar more, so no soup for you.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

Stefonius
Explorer
Explorer
Dumb things on my current RV:

1. The refrigerator can't be opened when the slides are in. Originally, it couldn't be opened at all. I spent five bucks on a kit to move the hinges to the other side, and now I can open it halfway - far enough to pack and unpack.
  2. I have to move two heavy recliners across the floor in order to put the slides in or out. If one slide was a few inches shorter, this would not be an issue.
  3. It's very hard for anyone who isn't model-skinny to get into the bedroom with the slides in. Fortunately, that slide deploys first, so I can pop it out if I'm overnighting in a parking lot.
  4. My HVAC ducting is an appalling mess. I'm going to have to re-run or replace literally all of it soon.
  5. Why do I have zero counter space, but enough livingroom for a small army? When I'm camping, I cook three meals a day, but the Great Outdoors is my livingroom.
  6. The "corner shower" is useless. I'm like a grizzly bear in a phone booth trying to get clean. I have to step out of the shower to change my mind.
2003 F450 Crew Cab, 7.3 PSD "Truckasaurus"
2010 Coachmen North Ridge 322RLT fiver "Habitat for Insanity"
I love my tent, but the DW said, "RV or Divorce"...

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

alaska511
Explorer
Explorer
The sticker showing the weights

2017 Wildcat Maxx 295
2015 Silverado LTZ Duramax/Allison

Stefonius
Explorer
Explorer
tinner12002 wrote:
I don't think the people that design these ever travel or camp in one!!
They don't! Nationally, RV ownership averages 10 percent of the population. The figure for folks who work in the RV industry is less than 2 percent. They're building these things and they have literally no idea how they'll be used.

Why oh why can't I use a percent sign when I post? C'mon, people... it's 2017! We put a man on the moon 48 years ago, but I still have to spell out the word "percent"?
2003 F450 Crew Cab, 7.3 PSD "Truckasaurus"
2010 Coachmen North Ridge 322RLT fiver "Habitat for Insanity"
I love my tent, but the DW said, "RV or Divorce"...

NMDriver
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe my 25 year old unit is the only one that has the pump switch in the rear kitchen and no way to turn on the fresh water if you happen to be in bathroom or worse sitting on the toilet. I now have a sign I keep in the bath room sink when traveling that reads "TURN ON PUMP".

I keep meaning to add another pump switch but.......this that and the other comes up.
5er/2500Duramax/18ftBoat

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Its 20 years old
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides