cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wax on Wax Off?

prstlk
Explorer
Explorer
Purchsed a used 2016 Keystone 5th wheel. Before we left in the spring I waxed the trailer using what I always use. McGuires cleanner wax. I have always had good luck and long lasting shine with this product. Mid-Summer I used it to touch up some minor brush scapes on one side. I noticed a marked differance in where I treated.

Question: I know there has been some advances in waxes and coatings, including ceramics. Anyone have experiance with anything that holds a shine better?

Thanks all
Jim
2007 Keystone Challenger 5th wheel, Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7L Diesel, Short Bed, 2 dogs and the cat and rolling down the road full time since May 2014
5 REPLIES 5

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cleaner waxes are just that, CLEANER waxes. At best they are good for stains and minor oxidation. They don't last long. They are not sealants or protectants.

Much depends on the condition of the surface to start with. Compounds are available in various grits. Hopefully nothing more than a finishing compound is ever needed. RVs typically have a very thin gelcoat. Gelcoat is expensive and it is also heavy. Two things the RV builders shy away from.

The trick is to start with a good surface and keep it that way.

My 2007 Alpenlite spends six months a year in use. It has spent all but the past two winters indoors and those winters it has been covered under a tarp, after a three day cleaning and waxing job. It was covered four days ago looking almost showroom ready.

Sides get waxed once a year. Front cap twice a year because of bugs.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

I posted this earlier this year.. this is what I use -

Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

mleekamp
Explorer
Explorer
I began using Turtle Wax Ceramic Spray Coating vs. wax in the past few years. Project Farm on youtube channel, had a great test of wax and coatings, and then which of the many brands of ceramic coatings. For our C (I know it's not a 5vr) it is WAY easier and has a better coating (my opinion) than wax. I can literally spray EVERYTHING -- windows, trim, vinyl graphics, etc. It's spray on, buff out, no waiting to dry. Read label. Love the fact I can do it on every surface. I don't use rain-x as much as before since this ceramic coating can go on glass...and does same job. My 2 cents.

hondapro
Explorer
Explorer
I use Collinite products I use the insulator wax on my cars and truck and the fleetwax marine wax on the 5th wheel.
Steve
2023 Ram 3500 6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel
2022 Keystone Sprinter 32BH
B&W Companion

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
I've been using a foam cannon with the "ceramic" wax mixed in with the soap and it does a pretty good job on the trailer. Originally got it for the cars and it does a great job on them too so figured I'd try it on the trailer.

Makes washing so much easier. Just spray it on, use the washing brush to wash it then rinse it off. No more buckets to fill/haul around.

Setting up the pressure washer is about the only thing that takes time, but I've got the quick connect hose fittings on it, so not a big deal.

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.