cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Water tank failed! (09 Cedar Creek) fifth.

ivbinconned
Explorer II
Explorer II
Water tank has sprung a very fast leak. So fast it comes out I expect a major crack.
Haven’t taken the panels off under yet as we just got home.
What is the availability of me getting the same tank.
Is building one out of aluminum a good option? Perhaps I good build a larger one??
Ram and 34 ft Cedar Creek
12 REPLIES 12

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
95flhr wrote:
ivbinconned wrote:
Well I got the bottom off. Thankfully it’s not the tank but the plastic nipple that screws into the tank for the drain. There is about 5 inches of plastic water pipe down to the valve. Stupid of Forest River to not use copper for something very exposed to the elements.

Copper is not a good choice for some water chemistry. I know it’s not allowed here for houses on well water, as the water will corrode it pretty quickly.

I can remember when trucking industry used copper for air lines; From that experience I would not want to use for water on a vehicle.
And can't understand why use for propane lines.

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
ivbinconned wrote:
Well I got the bottom off. Thankfully it’s not the tank but the plastic nipple that screws into the tank for the drain. There is about 5 inches of plastic water pipe down to the valve. Stupid of Forest River to not use copper for something very exposed to the elements.

Best bet would be to replace it with pex line. It rigid yet flexible.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

95flhr
Explorer
Explorer
ivbinconned wrote:

Copper is not a good choice for some water chemistry. I know it’s not allowed here for houses on well water, as the water will corrode it pretty quickly.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Unless the tank has been struck or damaged somehow the problem is seldom the tank, but more often the associated plumbing, like valves , nipples and fittings.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

ivbinconned
Explorer II
Explorer II

Bemota
Explorer
Explorer
My ‘18 the tank was fixed twice and leaks again now have to tear it apart and see why I flooded the lot the last night we used it Dan
2017 Dodge Ram Big Horn 3500 HD Cummins
2018 Cedar Creek 34RL2
Navy CPO Retired, Jan (DW), and Ziggy (Cat)

ivbinconned
Explorer II
Explorer II
It ran completely dry dry fast so I doubt that it is piping.
I know I’ll be smarter when I have the panels off.
My question was about using aluminum to build another one. I thought perhaps that would be ok since the hot water tanks are aluminum.
Plus the benefit of having a bigger one.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
bucky wrote:
I suggest dropping the underbody and seeing what's going on before you order an expensive tank that may not the problem.

This is good advice. You don't know that the problem is the tank itself.
Problem could be a fitting or piping leak.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
gee mines 17years old still going strong, might be a broken line etc.

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
I suggest dropping the underbody and seeing what's going on before you order an expensive tank that may not the problem.
Puma 30RKSS

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
Potable water is best carried in stainless steel or FDA-approved, food-grade plastic tanks rather than in aluminum. Chlorine and aluminum are poor partners.
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Repair may be possible. Is that model still made?
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.