cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

water bags in pick up

lee_worsdell
Explorer
Explorer
My current trailer only carries 45 gallons of fresh water plus hwt. Are their any other ways to carry extra water, have people made their own . Just wondering would like to double my water with out buying new fver
27 REPLIES 27

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
AS pointed out....water is heavy and is 8.33 #/gallon. Can the tow vehicle carry the added weight. Next, will your waste tanks store the extra volume. You can't dump it on the ground.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
Mile High wrote:
bpounds wrote:
My first question would be, is there water close by your camp? In other words, can you fill a bladder or jug within a few miles, or will you need to bring all that water from home? I wouldn't want to truck a full 45 gallon bladder too far, but a few miles just to get back to the trailer would be fine.

The idea is to just have it with you empty, and if you need water, go find it. Typically even the national parks have a spigot you can fill from.

Yes, that's what I was getting at. The bladders I've seen look like an air mattress, but are made from heavier material. Just like an air mattress, they don't fold up so small after you've used them once.

I almost bought one once. Decided to just go with jugs.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
bpounds wrote:
My first question would be, is there water close by your camp? In other words, can you fill a bladder or jug within a few miles, or will you need to bring all that water from home? I wouldn't want to truck a full 45 gallon bladder too far, but a few miles just to get back to the trailer would be fine.

The idea is to just have it with you empty, and if you need water, go find it. Typically even the national parks have a spigot you can fill from.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

emaav
Explorer
Explorer
We carry two 55 gal water drums in the bed of the truck. We usually run out of holding tank space before we run out of fresh water. We boondock in very remote places so we will use the outside shower when possible..
Me (Eli)
Better Half (Trinity)
2 cats
1999 Chevy 3500
1993 Shadow Cruiser 21F21RD

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad

I've seen the bladder work well for other boondockers. One guy put it on top of his camper shell (he wasn't in a fiver) then filled it at the other end of the camp. He was able to gravity feed his trailer that way. I was amazed that his shell handled it, but I guess it did. But usually you will need a transfer pump.

I keep a 7 gallon blue water bottle in the basement. When we're boodocking for more than a week or so, I fill that bottle each time we leave camp for the day, and just pour that in the trailer. That way I keep ahead and don't have to make a big chore out of it at any one time. I can still lift 7 gallons, so no pump necessary.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

Pipeman
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 1 ton long box dually. Behind the cab is a 50 gallon aux fuel tank. Behind that I put a 50 gallon, hard, water tank that I can put the tonneau cover over. I also have that 45 gallon collapsible bag that I can put crossways at the rear of the 5th wheel. I lay down a furniture blanket for the 45 gal bag so nothing punctures it. I pump the water out of both with a 12 volt pump. The set up works well for us.
Pipeman
Ontario, Canada
35 year Fire Fighter(retired)
VE3PJF

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
I've seen some bladders that fit in the truck that you can fill after you park the trailer. It gravity feeds out of the truck into your fill.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Find them on the horse trailer websites.

http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=59683dcb-1ed0-47c7-b732-d487536ef290
Flat for bed of truck

http://www.horseloversoutlet.com/Water_Tanks_for_Truck_Trailer_s/60.htm
reals slick compact one that fits in the corner that would work inside your fiver.

https://www.horseloversoutlet.com/Dry_Camp_Water_Caddy_30_Gallon_p/ftc-dc.htm
small 30 gallon fits anywhere

I fill them right before I am CLOSE to my destination so I am not carring the extra weight for the whole trip and keep in mind in front of the axle if inside.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

lee_worsdell
Explorer
Explorer
thanks hondavalk I should of explained my self little better. dry docking is when I need it going to a few big events this year and they don't have water trucks or hook ups. seems I always run out even if we conserve shutting off showing then on when lathered up. I just found a 45 gallon bag that camping world sells

Hondavalk
Explorer
Explorer
I carry a 30 gallon cooler empty in the back of my truck. When my trailer needs more water I just fill he cooler and use a 12V pump to transfer the water into my trailers tank

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
Beyond that question, of course, is the one of whether your truck has the necessary weight carrying capacity. Water weighs 8.4 lbs per gallon, and an additional 45 gallons of water will add 378 lbs to your payload, excluding the container.

1slomofo
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:
If you are in a camp site that does not have water, and you add more, will your holding tanks have the capacity to hold the extra water?

I always wonder why there is such a major mis-balance.

My trailer has 150 gallons of fresh and 10 gallons of hot water heater and only 1 40 gal grey and 1 40 gal black.

Am I supposed to the drink the balance? haha

-2015 32SAG Eclipse Attitude Toyhauler
-2010 Mosebilt 2-seater Long Travel Sand Car
-2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Duramax
-2006 Kawasaki Kfx400
-1984 Wife

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you are in a camp site that does not have water, and you add more, will your holding tanks have the capacity to hold the extra water?
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021