Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Traveling with the roof vent open

Jimbee
Explorer
Explorer
Hey All,

Occasionally when on the road I see folks traveling with the roof vents open on their trailers. Made me think now that summer's here, does it really help keep the coach cooler when on the road?

Just curious how many of ya'll travel with the vents open and if it helps?

Thanks!
24 REPLIES 24

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Years ago all vent covers were made from aluminum as my old '84 Aljo 5th wheel trailer was. They really radiated heat from the sun.
The covers stayed attached but leaving them up for a few trips stripped the drive mechanism.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
toedtoes wrote:
Per the photo you posted, those are vent covers not vent lids.

vent cover

vent with lid

Correct.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
old guy wrote:
I see vent covers on
the side of the freeway all the time

Better vent covers than vent lids.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
laknox wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
I tow with mine open all the time.

Even if you don't have the covers it's not going to hurt a darn thing.

I'll dispute that! 2nd or 3rd trip out with my old Komfort, I forgot to close the bath and living room vents. Both were destroyed. Couldn't find the correct lids so ended up having to replace both the lid =and= the crank on both. Ever since, I have all vents buttoned up.

Lyle

Uncovered vent lids will get brittle with age and exposure to the sun. Once brittle it doesn't take much for them to be destroyed.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
I see vent covers on
the side of the freeway all the time

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Per the photo you posted, those are vent covers not vent lids.

vent cover

vent with lid

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
I think there are different grades of lids.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
I have a vent cover and mine only get closed a few times a year. If it's super cold (for a southern Californian that is)I'll close the vent at night to help keep heat in. Otherwise the vent is always open including towing down the highway.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

WTP-GC
Explorer
Explorer
I've traveled with them open before (with vent covers). By themselves, just leaving them open doesn't do much good when traveling in the FL heat. But turn on the MaxxAir fan and open them...makes a noticeable difference.
Duramax + Grand Design 5er + B & W Companion
SBGTF

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Cummins12V98 wrote:
laknox wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

I'll dispute that! 2nd or 3rd trip out with my old Komfort, I forgot to close the bath and living room vents. Both were destroyed. Couldn't find the correct lids so ended up having to replace both the lid =and= the crank on both. Ever since, I have all vents buttoned up.

Lyle

To be more specific they should be open all the way. Turning g knob Th snug it up.

I do prefer covers

They were. Both basically folded in half around the lift arm before they cracked the lift track out of them. About $100 to fix, IIRC. Pissed me off to no end as the salesman, who was also a friend, specifically warned me about not traveling with them open.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
laknox wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

Lyle

To be more specific they should be open all the way. Turning g knob Th snug it up.

I do prefer covers

discovery4us
Explorer
Explorer
I have vent covers and mine are open to some degree 24/7. I wouldn't even consider traveling with them open without vent covers. In the MH we travel with the back vent open and I don't think it makes any difference in temperature but it seems to keep the MH from smelling like the two dogs and myself that are traveling in it.

On my cargo trailer both vents were rotted out from sun exposure. I placed tinted vent covers over the openings and never replaced the vent lid. Has worked great.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I travel buttoned up.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Leaving them open without vent covers can result in their being torn off, stripping the crank post, cracking them, etc.

My front vent cover no longer stays closed. The crank post is stripped, so just driving down the road will cause it to open up. Too big for a vent cover since it's an escape hatch. Have to replace it before the rains.

A vent cover provides the ability to leave a vent open without damaging it.