cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

travel with dog in trailer?

Jerry_B
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone travel with your pets in the trailer while underway? (This assumes the trailer temp will be at a comfortable level). I'm thinking I might give it a try.
Jerry B
Mobile Suites 36TK3
61 REPLIES 61

Moon8211
Explorer
Explorer
We tried this for the first time over Memorial Day Weekend. We did not have room in the truck for our 70lb Golden Retriever along with our children. So we strapped down a crate where she is used to being in and checked on her frequently-almost every hour and she did wonderfully. The trailer stayed cool (We ran the A/C before leaving. Even when we travel in our family vehicle she is placed in a crate for travel. It can be quite distracting to have large dog roaming the vehicle-not to mention that if we were to have to suddenly stop she could go flying through the vehicle.

I like the idea of a monitoring system-it would put my mind at ease and also running a 12V fan.

JustLabs
Explorer
Explorer
My dogs have ridden thousands of miles in the fifth wheel. In their kennels with a tie down strap keeping it secure.

If they don't like it,it sure doesn't show. I give the "kennel up" command and they just about knock you over trying to be first into the trailer.
2011 Chevrolet 2500HD LTZ 4x4 CCLB Duramax/Allison
2007 Keystone Cougar 289BHS Fifth Wheel.

pigeons101
Explorer
Explorer
I put my horse in a trailer, they do make trailers for dogs to ride in but they are well ventilated or even have AC.

benb21601
Explorer
Explorer
Yup. I've done it for years. Always in a kennel that is secured. My previous trailers i had a 12v fan blowing on the kennel with a wireless thermometer and its readout in the truck. The new TH has a genny so i can run the airs in transit which is even better. The dog, whom is also a very important part of the family, has never minded riding or seemed like he didnt want to get in the kennel. 5 people in the truck doesn't leave room for a large dog, so it's either this or he doesn't go, which would be way worse.
2017 GMC Sierra 3500 Denali Dually Duramax L5P
2015.5 Jayco Seismic 3902
2015 EZGO Express S4 buggy

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
WTP-GC wrote:
The first step in resolving this matter is to accept that animals are not humans. To equate an animal (regardless of species) with a human is absurdity.
Remember:
Animal DOES NOT equal human...

Yup your right, AND that is exactly why we have laws in place for 'humans' to PROTECT the 'animals'.

Whether it be treating them inhumanely, abuse, lack of providing proper food and shelter etc. the laws are in place to protect the 'animals' from unfortunately, the many all great ignorant 'humans'. :C

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

HGL
Explorer
Explorer
As someone who has a horse trailer...yes, I would have my dog ride in the back, only if they were in a crate that was secured and for no more than 4 hours at a time...We also check the horses at four hours for feed & water, sometimes to take them out to walk...just depends on the weather.

EDIT: My horses are a part of my family and if they wouldn't destroy my house, they would have full access as they are just like my child, except 1200lbs.

Uppercrust
Explorer
Explorer
My dogs are family and treated like family, they are our fur kids and very spoiled. When we travel they are in the truck cab with us and secured. Never would I allow them to ride in the 5'er.
2012 F250 CC,FX4, Metallic blue/Silver
2012 Cruiser Patriot 345RF ๐Ÿ™‚ campers mom, dad
19 yr. old son
22 yr. old daughter
Diesel R.I.P.
Lady lab mix 16 R.I.P
Daisy beagle/collie
Misty shepard/husky
Camper's Have Smore Fun
14.5 Rallies
sleepovers 3

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
No, I'm not really. The comparison is about the responsibility: "For me, my animals are just as important as the people in my life - not because I think of them as human, but because I accepted the responsibility for them and that responsibility is just as binding as the responsibility I bear for my family."
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
toedtoes wrote:
IdaD wrote:
toedtoes wrote:
WTP-GC wrote:
The first step in resolving this matter is to accept that animals are not humans. To equate an animal (regardless of species) with a human is absurdity. That silly ape that got shot has a lot of people riled up, and for all the wrong reasons.

Remember:
Animal DOES NOT equal human

People might not put their dog or cat in the trailer, but if they only knew that they were accidentally transporting a stow-away mouse. Oh the horror. But what's the difference?

Not sure what this has to do with the question. Many people who don't treat their dogs like humans won't transport them in a trailer. Many people who do treat their dogs like humans will transport them in a trailer.

I'll also add that many people do not see "Animal DOES NOT equal human" as "Animal is LESS IMPORTANT than human". For me, my animals are just as important as the people in my life - not because I think of them as human, but because I accepted the responsibility for them and that responsibility is just as binding as the responsibility I bear for my family.

That's an interesting perspective. I've always had dogs and I love them, but the notion that I'd put a dog at the same level of importance as my kids is just ludicrous as far as I'm concerned. It's not even comparable.

But you're looking at it as a comparison. It's not a comparison. It's a responsibility to a living creature. That dog's life is dependent upon me - I accepted that responsibility. Doing less than what is best for that dog is a failure plain and simple. Just like doing less than what is best for my family is a failure plain and simple.

I never understood the logic that to do your best for one person/creature somehow means you have to do less for another. My responsibility to my family is priority - but that doesn't make my responsibility to my animals less.

It's not really worth arguing about but you're changing what you said. Initially you did compare the two when you said the animals in your life were as important as the people in your life.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
IdaD wrote:
toedtoes wrote:
WTP-GC wrote:
The first step in resolving this matter is to accept that animals are not humans. To equate an animal (regardless of species) with a human is absurdity. That silly ape that got shot has a lot of people riled up, and for all the wrong reasons.

Remember:

People might not put their dog or cat in the trailer, but if they only knew that they were accidentally transporting a stow-away mouse. Oh the horror. But what's the difference?

Not sure what this has to do with the question. Many people who don't treat their dogs like humans won't transport them in a trailer. Many people who do treat their dogs like humans will transport them in a trailer.

I'll also add that many people do not see "Animal DOES NOT equal human" as "Animal is LESS IMPORTANT than human". For me, my animals are just as important as the people in my life - not because I think of them as human, but because I accepted the responsibility for them and that responsibility is just as binding as the responsibility I bear for my family.

That's an interesting perspective. I've always had dogs and I love them, but the notion that I'd put a dog at the same level of importance as my kids is just ludicrous as far as I'm concerned. It's not even comparable.

But you're looking at it as a comparison. It's not a comparison. It's a responsibility to a living creature. That dog's life is dependent upon me - I accepted that responsibility. Doing less than what is best for that dog is a failure plain and simple. Just like doing less than what is best for my family is a failure plain and simple.

I never understood the logic that to do your best for one person/creature somehow means you have to do less for another. My responsibility to my family is priority - but that doesn't make my responsibility to my animals less.

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
toedtoes wrote:
WTP-GC wrote:

Remember:

2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
WTP-GC wrote:

Remember:

avvidclif1
Explorer
Explorer
WTP-GC wrote:

Remember:

That's your viewpoint and not everyone agrees with you.
Clif & Millie
2009 Ford F350 SRW CC Lariat 6.4 Diesel
2015 Heartland Cyclone HD CY3418 Toy Hauler

WTP-GC
Explorer
Explorer

Remember:

Duramax + Grand Design 5er + B & W Companion
SBGTF